Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 May 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1603177)   #1
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corballis or Rathdrum circuit, Ireland

Can anyone tell me a little about the Corballis or Rathdrum circuit in Ireland? It turns up a few times in the early history of 1600cc racing - in 1965/66/67 - and I don't recognise the name.

Allen
Old 8 May 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1603381)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never heard of Corballis but Rathdrum was a small Irish road circuit used a few times in the 60s I think.Was about haf mile round and only alowed a half dozen or so cars to start.
Old 8 May 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1603431)   #3
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I can Google, Corballis is a place in Rathdrum or vice versa.

Allen
Old 9 May 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1603953)   #4
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
JRTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A real blast from the past. I grew up in Dublin and visited the Rathdrum races several times vividly remembering Arthur Collier from Bunclody running a Chevron B8. My viewing spot was on a grass verge on the outside of the corner!! The track was a small country road loop that today would be chosen for a tarmac rally stage. All sorts ran there including my F2 Crossle 19F driven bt Ken Fildes and David Hall in his Imp alongside Alec Poole in his fire spitting turbo Mini Clubman. Frightenly dangerous but wonderful stuff. I am sure Maurice Bryan in Dublin would give you real information.

Cheers

John
Old 9 May 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1603961)   #5
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Thanks John

I should have thought to ask you about this. Was the circuit called Rathdrum? And where does "Corballis" fit into this?

Allen
Old 9 May 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1603965)   #6
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
JRTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen,

It was called Rathdrum and was one of a group of race tracks that included Skerries (for bikes and truly dangerous) and Dunboyne. I will get back to you about Corballis because I never knew it as that. I am betting the track is still there untouched as the motorways will simply have bypassed it on the way South to Wexford.

Cheers

John
Old 9 May 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1604035)   #7
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the Rathdrum circuit . a triangular track, .8 of a mile in length , was called the Corballis Circuit , and the hairpin seen in most photos was called Corballis corner .It was narrow and was run as a 5 lap sprint with cars starting at 5/8 sec intervals .The first event was held on sept 15 , 1962 , and was run anticlockwise , all subsequent events were run clockwise .Cars and bikes were run at the first few events , then bikes were dropped .Best story has to be the biker who lost it at the paddock bend , vaulted the hedge and landed on the roof of a nearby bungalow . The glory years were probably when the Irish F2 brigade ran there , there , an awsome sight on such narrow roads.Until the arrival of Mondello in 1968 , we hd two circuits P PARK ,and Dunboyne , then Rathdrum it may have been a sprint but it was all we had . It ran into the eighties , one motor club loked at reviving it a few years ago , but increased traffic levels in the area proved a major obstacle .
Old 9 May 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1604228)   #8
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Thanks gentlemen.
Old 11 May 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1606111)   #9
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its so hard to learn about irish motorsport history unless you were there.anyone know any books/dvds/websites