Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 3 Apr 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2666180)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Future WRC calendar

Americas (2): Argentina, Mexico
Asia & Oceania (4): Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Jordan
European tarmac (5): Spain, France, Germany, Ireland, Bulgaria
European gravel (8): Portugal, Italy, Finland, Wales, Poland, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey
European snow (3): Monte Carlo, Norway, Sweden
Total: 22 countries visited by the WRC since 2004. The UAE wants to replace Jordan for 2011. North One wants 15 rallies.

From February to November, I'd rotate Sweden and Norway, then rotate Mexico and Argentina, then keep permanent Italy, Greece, Finland, Germany and Japan, then rotate New Zealand and Australia, then keep permanent Spain, France and Wales. That's 11. Now comes the tricky part.

The remaining rallies are Monte Carlo, Jordan, UAE, Cyprus, Turkey, Ireland, Bulgaria, Poland and Portugal. Instead of adding some of them, I'd first have both Mexico and Argentina and both New Zealand and Australia, so to have two rallies for one long travel. Then I'd go for Portugal (on mixed surface), then Bulgaria or Poland, then Jordan or UAE. That's 16, one more than targeted. Monte Carlo kills everybody, of course, but that's a choice of the ACM.

Other than adding your views, what information do you have about those rallies wanting / being abled / being suggested by the FIA to be permanent, rotate or miss?
Old 4 Apr 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2666277)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'd have a set list of "classic" events - Monte Carlo, Sweden, Finland, Corsica, GB, New Zealand, Argentina then you can rotate the rest (but you really don't need Greece, Turkey and Cyprus in the same year, they're too similar). Pairing up the long haul events makes sense from a logistics/cost point of view.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2667134)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I agree that Sweden is "more classic" than Norway. But the Acropolis is definitely one of the real classics rather than a big market race (like Germany and Japan), and should be permanent.

I'd likle more non-European rounds. I wonder whether Zulu (South Africa) and Safari (Kenya) would like to score for the WRC. What are the most prestigious (and safest!) Middle East rallies?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2667308)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Good point about the Safari rally - that should be back definitely.

If you have the Acropolis as a permanent event then you have no need for Turkey or Cyprus really.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2669143)   #5
elvisrally
Rookie

elvisrally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The safari would be one event I would love to see back in.

I agree that certain events should have a permanent slot in the calender.

It is also nice to have similar events rotated as described above.

Monte, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand, Acropolis, Gb, Catalunya. would be my keepers

Elvis
Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2673796)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
According to Autosport, the 14-race 2011 schedule would be Sweden, Mexico, Portugal, Jordan, Argentina, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Finland, Germany, Australia, France, Spain and Wales. Poland and New Zealand would be first and second reserves.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2681276)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The provisional 2011 calendar is out, with 13 races: Sweden, Mexico, Portugal, Jordan, Italia, Argentina, Greece, Germany, Australia, France, Spain and Wales.

A possible 14th will be decided in June - could be Monte Carlo or Poland. Turkey is out. I'll miss Japan.
Old 6 May 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2685310)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Interview of North One Sport boss Simon Long. Strange that neither mentions the word "Monte".

The candidates for the 14th race are Poland, New Zealand and Turkey. I vote for New Zealand.

Long doesn't worry about the Rally Japan missing because Japanese maufacturers are already missing. Rally Japan clerk of course agrees with me and thinks exactly the other way round: the manufacturers will only return if the rally does.
Old 6 May 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2685313)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The Monte isn't even an option? Rubbish

Out of the choices given I'd also go for New Zealand as a preference.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2717615)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The 2011 calendar has been confirmed. The 14th round seems unlikely according to Crash.net. So now we can start writing about 2012...