Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1353970)   #1
Kevin Whittle
Rookie

Kevin Whittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 Litre F2 Engines

I am interested to know who built engines for the 1000cc F2 series.

I know Cosworth did the SCA
BRM the type 80
Also that Cosworth fitted into their development Lotus 20 a 997cc version of the Lotus Twin Cam, and raced it.

Who else please

KDW
Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1354095)   #2
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abarth built an F with their own engine, Renault did (for Alpine), and of course Honda! Honda were vastly superior in 1966 with their 16-valve engine.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1354420)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
didnt Honda make engines with roller main bearings (S800) therefore eliminating the necessity to maintain any oil pressure as such ?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1354421)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
and what about the A series ? or was that old hat by then, I know they did a few FJ engines
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1354678)   #5
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
and what about the A series ? or was that old hat by then, I know they did a few FJ engines
There was a proper Austin F2 engine - I think it was based on the A-series block in a similar way to Cosworth basing the SCA on an Anglia block.

Someone (I think Brian Horwood) raced a Cooper with such an engine when we did the HGPCA race in Phoenix Park several years ago.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1354702)   #6
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it was Brian Horwood - I saw him race it at Brands with the HGPCA a couple of years ago. He has lots of bits, if not most, from the surviving engines.

And there was an article about the BMC F2 engine in MS some years ago.

Paul M
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1354815)   #7
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
Yes, it was Brian Horwood - I saw him race it at Brands with the HGPCA a couple of years ago. He has lots of bits, if not most, from the surviving engines.
I think that (as with the Climax Godiva V8s) all the parts from the BMC F2 project stayed together and Brian built a working engine from amongst them.

I seem to remember that the engines never raced (again like the Godiva)?

I did have a look at the engine at Phoenix park, and it was a very lovely thing - as were many of the sites there (including his daughter)......
Old 14 Jul 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1355630)   #8
Kevin Whittle
Rookie

I knew of the twin cam injected Honda, but had forgotten the BMC F2 engine.

Didn't Renault use oversize engines in F2 and got caught, or was that the 1600cc F2 ?
KDW
Old 15 Jul 2005, 09:10 (Ref:1356048)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
did the germans ever make any little engines ? BMW maybe? a souped up Isetta bubble car lump
Old 15 Jul 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1356182)   #10
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
remember a few special saloon minis in the late sixties/early seventies had sca engines mackled up to mini gearboxes. one or two quick northern saloon car championsip guys used em.thats probably where they all dissapeared to.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1360330)   #11
Kevin Whittle
Rookie

Having done a little research I have found that other F2 engines built were :

Twin Cam Renault - any one know which Renault block, or engine type number used ?

Fiat all I know is 68 x 68mm
De Tomaso Ford based I believe
Alexis/Holbay Did they cut metal ?
Peugot ?
DKW in a German home built Starke

Anyone add anything to those engines regarding type numbers, cylinder dimensions power etc etc

Kevin Whittle
Old 25 Jul 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1362733)   #12
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
I saw the De-Tomaso F2 engine on Saturday.

It is an all aluminium flat 4, with double overhead cam (e.g. 4 cams), apparently they built a car and engine and probably never ran the engine (certainly never raced, maybe they tested it but the pistons were un-used).

It seems that they did run the car, but with a Holbay engine in it.

The F2 engine was at Holbay's (possibly part of their deal to get the Holbay F2 engine), and was only just discovered and liberated.

It will most likely be going to a Swiss De-Tomaso enthusiast.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1372236)   #13
Kevin Whittle
Rookie

I had not realised they actually built a running engine or that it has survived.

I have been chasing Cosworth for more than 2 months to see if they have parts/drawings/intend to re manfacture bits for the SCA. They have pistons and a few gaskets and thats it.
So far all I get is the brush off.

I need a drawing of the SCA gears. Failing that the loan of a set Please.

Kevin Whittle
Old 4 Aug 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1372386)   #14
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin,

Why don't you get in touch with someone like Neil Roper , George Wadsworth or Geoff Richardson.
Bryan.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1408327)   #15
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Kevin

There's an SCA for sale on race-cars.com parts board..............

Maybe he can help you out.

Cosworth SCA

Author: David Irwin September 10, 2005 at 10:05:17 from 65.151.158.124

Cosworth SCA Formula 2 engine with less than 4 hours run time from rebuild 15 years ago. Last run 3 years ago. 81mm bore, standard rods and mains with new Arias pistons. Engine complete with clutch and headers, from a Brabham. Solex carbs with lots of extra jets for fine tuning, said to work better than the webers that came on the engine, deep fuel bowls. $12,000 or best offer.

His e-mail is: irwin_eng@hotmail.com
Old 15 Sep 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1408374)   #16
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1.Litre Screamers!

Hi! a little late on this subject I know, but I have only just become a member, sorry. Yes, I actually used a 1.litre MAE (997cc) unit in my Anglia during the 70's it was a Cosworth bottom end and a HOLBAY top end. The CosBay was a brilliant little unit that revved to just under 14,000 rev's, and apart from head gaskets having to be changed between races, it was very reliable. It gave me 123 bh at the wheels. Later during 1974 I changed to a BDA unit and that gave 144 bh at the wheels, but was over square, and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! Yeah, it was great once you got it rolling, but we ditched it, and went back to the MAE. Realising that the BDA was best suited to the 1300cc version.
Hope this is of interest to you. Regards, Gerry Taylor.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1408672)   #17
Kevin Whittle
Rookie

Yes, I got him to send me jpegs of the SCA. It has Solex carbs !
Also the exhaust sytem is suitable for a Brabham. Wonder where it came from ?
Had a friend bring a SCA in his camper van to show me yesterday. Original carbs, dusty engine with large steel flywheel. I had always imagined Coswortth used the small MAE flywheel with Renault ring gear. Engine is destined for a Lotus 23.
Kevin
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1776492)   #18
Gungebucket
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Gungebucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMC F2 engines

In the early 1970's I took on a job to rebuild a BMC F2 engine. The engine arrived as boxes of bits! I learnt that only 3 engines were ever built and none of them raced in F2. Not one part of these engines could be traced to any other BMC product, it was a start from scratch new design, including the block. I still have my rebuild notes somewhere and I will try to look them out, in the meantime this is what I recall.
4 valve per cylinder twin-cam, inlet ports far too large for the valve sizes (too much time building siamese port engines I expect!)
F-1 type alternator built in to the front cover; water pump and dry sump pump (double scavenge) built into the aluminium sump and gear driven off the front of the crank. Slide throttle with SU fuel injection, injection pumpdriven off the back of one camshaft (I finally found someone at SU who remembered they once made some prototype injection systems). Early Lucas electronic ignition triggered by "steps" on the back of the flywheel. Cam profiles and valve gear indicated that the engine was intended to run to around 14,000 rev/min.
Unfortunately the client would not pay up and the engine never went to the test bed. The engine was last heard of at Oselli Engineering in Oxford.
Old 11 Nov 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3687123)   #19
brian horwood
Rookie

brian horwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMC F2 engines

I still own the Cooper T75 fitted with the BMC Twin Cam 1000 cc engine. One of the engines that I have is the one described by Gungbucket and did come from Osselli.

I am looking for period engine build sheets and test data if i survived.

Does anyone have copies of photographs taken in period when the car was entered at Silverstone BARC 200 March 1965 or Oulton park Spring trophy 3rd April 1965?

Any help to complete the early history file will be appreciated.

Brian