Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Feb 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3881870)   #1526
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed. It puzzles me why they put him in a light aircraft anyway.
Yes. Don’t think it was a club that arranged the flights though. Sadly too late for the answer to that question changing the outcome.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3881875)   #1527
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes. Don’t think it was a club that arranged the flights though. Sadly too late for the answer to that question changing the outcome.

There were no commercial direct flights, and Sala wanted to complete the journey to and back on that one day. And, although the club did not actually arrange the flight, the club did recommend the firm/individual to his personal manager who requested that they/he plan the flight although they/he contracted out the flight to the pilot who was flying the plane.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3881877)   #1528
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure if you’re saying I’m wrong or right, but out of respect to those involved, not going to say any more on the subject.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3881898)   #1529
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed, the terrestrials will eventually die sadly but frankly they've come to rely on dross for the most part and probably deserve it. As I said the best series go to Netflix or Amazon after appearing on the terrestrial channels. I binged on 4 seasons of Line of Duty earlier this month.

Film On is a Godsend if you travel like me. It means I get to watch all the ITV, BBC, All4 and C5 channels "live" (it's actually around a three minute delay), without the need for a VPN. I do however pay the TV licence fee too. But I will be able to watch every 6 Nations game this year.

There is a revival in the Vinyl market.
Sounds interesting especially if it avoids messing about with a VPN.
Are there any legal issues?

True there is a vinyl revival, with many being bought by people who don't even have a turntable!
But they are still fairly small, around 15% of all physical album sales and the total number of physical sales has decreased dramatically these days.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3881907)   #1530
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
From my understanding, there's less German Autobahn kilometres now without a speed limit than in less restrictive times, but seems it's still an emotive subject in Germany…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=spartanntp
Old 4 Feb 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3881911)   #1531
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Sounds interesting especially if it avoids messing about with a VPN.
Are there any legal issues?
I'm not aware of any legal issues. It's a legit company and they pay for the service. I't not perfect because it stalls occasionally but it works reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
True there is a vinyl revival, with many being bought by people who don't even have a turntable!
But they are still fairly small, around 15% of all physical album sales and the total number of physical sales has decreased dramatically these days.
Yes agreed. But it is good to see. There's room for all types of media, CD, Vinyl, MP3 etc.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3881926)   #1532
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fish

Quote:
From my understanding, there's less German Autobahn kilometres now without a speed limit than in less restrictive times, but seems it's still an emotive subject in Germany…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=spartanntp
Limits on German A'bahns is at the same emotive level as ID cards & the requirement to carry them at all times in the UK ..... Everyone knows it would make good sense, but no political party has the boolls to risk doing it !!!

It is, however, a good way to blow out all the accumuted soot et al in my particulate filter every now & then !

Sorry to be so frivolous !

MartinH. ..... No relation to the other Hood, who seems to a hot topic at the moment.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 18:00 (Ref:3881927)   #1533
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
Limits on German A'bahns is at the same emotive level as ID cards & the requirement to carry them at all times in the UK ..... Everyone knows it would make good sense, but no political party has the boolls to risk doing it !!!

It is, however, a good way to blow out all the accumuted soot et al in my particulate filter every now & then ! Sorry to be so frivolous !

MartinH. ..... No relation to the other Hood, who seems to a hot topic at the moment.
Are you sure....? Autobahns-- On the way home from Hungary season before last, truck on limiter @ 90kph, past midnight, and an AMG Merc goes past absolutely flat out. Never been so scared in my life!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3881930)   #1534
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Nice story for Alfa fans on here.....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid..._February_4_v2
Old 4 Feb 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3881932)   #1535
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Yes, extremely lovely...

I saw a piece on French TV last night about some new film called 'My Beautiful Boy' or something, wasn't really paying attention as I'm not a film buff - until I noticed the clip they were showing featured a blue GT Junior.

May be worth seeing after all!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3881936)   #1536
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

-

Saw that reported last week - the car seems to be in remarkable condition. Wonder what other vehicles are in there - Can't think that it was the only car trapped by a broken elevator?

Amazed at the price realised, though - its a beautiful and rare thing, but even so, after standing for over 30 years......
Old 4 Feb 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3881968)   #1537
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

It is, however, a good way to blow out all the accumuted soot et al in my particulate filter every now & then !

I didn't think particulate filter regeneration worked like that. Has to be something like longish run at a fairly constant medium speed.

On the other hand, who cares how it works if there is an excuse to give it a blast?

No need to carry a specific ID card in the UK. There will always be some sort of requirement to be able to confirm identity and so many ways of doing it that one has to have about one's person to be able to do almost anything.

Plus the reticence to "stop and search" and so the idea of stopping anyone and asking for their ID card would likely be little used even if carrying a card was a requirement.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3882007)   #1538
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
E.B, in another pretty serious thread Mike is wondering about tracks being used anti clockwise in the S Hemisphere. I dont know about the way your bidets emptied but I do recommend that a foreigner coming from NH has better use the same sense for racing…
We have only one track used anti clockwise located in south, its Ledenon near Nîmes. OK, French humor!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3882011)   #1539
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
E.B, in another pretty serious thread Mike is wondering about tracks being used anti clockwise in the S Hemisphere. I dont know about the way your bidets emptied but I do recommend that a foreigner coming from NH has better use the same sense for racing…
We have only one track used anti clockwise located in south, its Ledenon near Nîmes. OK, French humor!
Yes, I was thinking of the North v South hemisphere bidet experiments!

Imola is anti-clockwise, maybe others also, and Knockhill north of the border here can be run in either direction!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3882013)   #1540
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Knockhill north of the border here can be run in either direction!
Not during the same meeting, meguess! May be someone should say to our itn' travelers to change the wheel side from…*Well, doesn't work for a monoposto! Sorry… Do you think the nut was stuck on the rocker cover due to different gravity?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3882015)   #1541
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

One of the many reasons to live here👌👌
The initial idea has been abandoned, so we stay as we were👍👍
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3882016)   #1542
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not that I'm recommending to attempt but if anyone shows up at Rétromobile, I'll be happy to buy a beer or coffee or tea if in the area at the same moment… Dont hesitate to PM me.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3882018)   #1543
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not that I'm recommending to attempt but if anyone shows up at Rétromobile, I'll be happy to buy a beer or coffee or tea if in the area at the same moment… Dont hesitate to PM me.
Thanks, Gerard! My good lady does like her coffee!

Actually, I think I owe you one...
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3882021)   #1544
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
C'on John, quand on aime, on ne compte pas! If only your Good Lady could appreciate something else that ferodo and burnt ricin oil scents… Challenge of the week!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:50 (Ref:3882022)   #1545
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
C'on John, quand on aime, on ne compte pas! If only your Good Lady could appreciate something else that ferodo and burnt ricin oil scents… Challenge of the week!
It certainly will be a challenge! I wonder how many times during the day I will hear "it's only a car"...
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3882024)   #1546
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Well……… I guess mentioning the prices won't help! Dont count on me to show what a grown up adult is………… I keep my ado's eyes, cant help from and won't even try! A great part of this makes a huge turn over and preserves centuries-old techniques. Je sens que je ne suis pas convaincant…
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3882028)   #1547
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I like retromobile and have been once, but the thought of travelling to Paris mid winter (by train) puts me off going again.

The Detroit ‘Auto Show’ was recently held as usual in snow and ice, but afterwards they announced that next year it’s moving to the spring, to hopefully encourage attendance! I don’t think the journos would even go if it wasn’t a freeby....
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3882031)   #1548
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I like retromobile and have been once, but the thought of travelling to Paris mid winter (by train) puts me off going again.

The Detroit ‘Auto Show’ was recently held as usual in snow and ice, but afterwards they announced that next year it’s moving to the spring, to hopefully encourage attendance! I don’t think the journos would even go if it wasn’t a freeby....
Quite a few journos have given up on motor shows anyway. Gone are the days when everything was a secret until the wraps were pulled off on Press Day, so much has been released beforehand, so not the same need to be there.

There's certainly not as many freebies as there used to be; manufacturers have been reining-in somewhat on things like press launches in recent times, and no, it's nothing to do with Brexit! (Did you see that desperate BBC bird on the news last night, stopping workers leaving the Nissan factory & trying to goad them into saying the X-Trail demise was because of Brexit? She was getting rather frustrated because they wouldn't play her game!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:45 (Ref:3882035)   #1549
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I like Rétromobile and have been once, but the thought of travelling to Paris mid winter (by train) puts me off going again.
No worry Mike, we've been fitting windows to our train wagons for a while…*You should test the new versions!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3882038)   #1550
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
No worry Mike, we've been fitting windows to our train wagons for a while…*You should test the new versions!
If they’re not steam trains, I’m not interested!

John, from what I read about Detroit AS, it’s going to be an outdoor event modelled on what happens at FOS and similar nowadays. I can remember going on manufacturer launches in Europe when working for a big fleet customer. I’m not surprised if such freebies are less frequent nowadays, but am reminded of McLaren being at the Algarve International Autodrome when we arrived two or three years ago. I’m guessing the two days were for prospective customers, though, not journos!