Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Feb 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1529976)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick49
Hello Alex Hodgkinson,

Is your list going to have a full compliment of photos as well ?

Nick
That's what I am missing too.
Old 24 Feb 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1530854)   #52
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Today I came across this book:

Golden Era
The Group C & Imsa Gtp Cars Of 1981-1992

This two-volume boxed set will provide a detailed race-by-race history of the era, together with a database of every competing car.

Authors: Ian Briggs & John Starkey
Pages: 1400 (!)
Year of publication: 2006

More info: www.autonetcarbooks.com

Looks very interesting but it's also expensive (135€).
Old 24 Feb 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1530880)   #53
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick49
Hello Alex Hodgkinson,

Is your list going to have a full compliment of photos as well ?

Nick
Indeed it is

Infact it may well eventually become a fully fledged Group C website with more information, pictures, race results, interviews... etc etc than you could ever shake your gear stick at
Old 24 Feb 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1530884)   #54
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Wow, that book looks great FIRE, I think I'll have to look in to getting hold of a copy of that.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1532593)   #55
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah Group C :)

Takes me back - I found a box of 35mm slide from Le Mans '83 and '87 a few weeks back - Wonderful cars, wonderful racing.

Good news for the 1/32 slot racing fans is that Slot.It have started making Group C cars.

So far there's a load of 956s and 962s. There's also a couple of sauber C9s (one coming in Kouros colours - the most beautiful of all) and a Daytona placed Castrol XJR-9 (Silk Cut ones coming). A range of Lancia LC2s is also scheduled, but I don't think any are out yet.

Cheers.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1533107)   #56
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

Glad to see that someone else has also picked up on the fact that you can now get to "race" Group C cars in slot car form as I pointed out in a previous post on page 3. Slot.It, an Italian firm have produced a number of Porsche 956's and 962's that ran at Le Mans and an all white version that can be used with DMC decals to produce quite a lot more. A High Tail version is coming out this year. Now the Sauber C9 and Jaguar XJR9 are coming out with the Lancia LC2 to follow later this year. Revell have produced the March 84G. These cars are highly detailed and collectable. Scalextric had the Porsche 956, Jaguar XJR9 and Sauber C9 out a few years back.

There is, of course, a whole raft of diecast, resin or white metal models of Group C cars in scales ranging from 1/43 to 1/18 (and sometimes bigger). All are very detailed. You should see the Exoto range, fantastic.

I've seen the book "Golden Era - Group C & IMSA GTP" but at a price of £75. My wife just couldn't understand why I would want it and the purchase was firmly vetoed!!

Sorry if this has taken the thread a bit off centre but I enjoy everything about Group C cars.

Nick
Old 3 Mar 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1535440)   #57
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
On the subject of "racing" Group C cars this website may be of interest to you:

Virtua LM

Back to the original topic..

I think that the list has been completed to a acceptable level to carry on to the next stage - photos!

So, I'm looking for as many photos as possible that I can legally use, of all of the cars.

So, please get in contact with me or post your pictures, but only if they don't break any copyright laws!

Many thanks,

Alex (Ahodgkinsonracing@hotmail.co.uk)
Old 28 Mar 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1563553)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As this dropped of their front page I asked our colleagues in the Sportscar forum to move this thread here, which they have kindly done. Worth bringing back to the top just to see David Lister's pictures of the Lancia at posts 34 & 36! Anyone got any more names to add to the list?
Old 23 Apr 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1593282)   #59
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Today I came across this book:

no need to repost the picture of the book imho

Golden Era
The Group C & Imsa Gtp Cars Of 1981-1992

This two-volume boxed set will provide a detailed race-by-race history of the era, together with a database of every competing car.

Authors: Ian Briggs & John Starkey
Pages: 1400 (!)
Year of publication: 2006

More info: www.autonetcarbooks.com

Looks very interesting but it's also expensive (135€).
I'd love to get a review off this book (as well as the one from Ian Briggs, "Endurance Racing"). Have someone came across any of these two books?
Old 29 Apr 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1597718)   #60
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira
I'd love to get a review off this book (as well as the one from Ian Briggs, "Endurance Racing"). Have someone came across any of these two books?
As I understand it the new Briggs/Starkey set is an expansion of "Endurance Racing 1982-91".

I have that, and it's a fine book. Concise histories of all the major and most of the minor Group C manufacturers (most of what's missing is in Michael Cotton's little Directory), season-by-season summaries, and full race reports on GpC (with summaries of IMSA races), with plenty of good photography.

Despite the GpC/GTP era being something I am very interested in, I'm not sure I'll be buying the Briggs/Starkey set though - I just don't like John Starkey's books - far too many of them are dull to read and full of mistakes - I'd hate to think the great material in the Briggs book has been diluted.

I think the main difference between Briggs and Briggs/Starkey is increased coverage of GTP and more chassis number research - but I think the best way to add that to my sports car shelf is to add the Martin/Wells Prototypes to my collection to boost the IMSA side... if I can find a copy