Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2002, 12:33 (Ref:353007)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan Drivers for next year ?

With all the current specualtion of who exactly will be driving for Jordan next year ..i thought id just put this to everybody .
Alot of people think Takuma will be out of a drive at Jordan next year , and that Irvine will be driving for them instead . Well , here's 2 articles ( quotes) taken from Autosport.com .

In a question and answer session with Sato....
Q: Are you confident about next year?.....
A: Obviously we have a strong contract with the team, which is great. I hope it's going to be really good for the rest of the season and we can do a better job next year

and then this story about Irvine.........
Irvine would accept testing role

Eddie Irvine has admitted that he would consider becoming a full-time test driver with a Formula 1 team next year rather than hang up his helmet

the plot thickens !!!!!!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 13:51 (Ref:353081)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'd say that Eddie's playing games again, and by saying that he'd be prepared to take a test drivers role, he already knows where it will be next year, and it will be in a race seat!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 13:59 (Ref:353095)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What makes you say that ?.....sounds to me like he isnt sure either where he will be.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:03 (Ref:353100)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
sounds to me like he isnt sure either where he will be.
Ya proberbly right, i just got the impression that Edmund knows where his future lies, but doesn't want to rest of us too.........yet.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:04 (Ref:353103)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will go out on a limb and say both drivers will be retained along with the Honda motor. EI must know that he will not be racing anymore so he is preparing the public.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:38 (Ref:353174)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Jordan Drivers for next year ?

Quote:
With all the current specualtion of who exactly will be driving for Jordan next year ..i thought id just put this to everybody .
Alot of people think Takuma will be out of a drive at Jordan next year , and that Irvine will be driving for them instead . Well , here's 2 articles ( quotes) taken from Autosport.com .

In a question and answer session with Sato....
Q: Are you confident about next year?.....
A: Obviously we have a strong contract with the team, which is great. I hope it's going to be really good for the rest of the season and we can do a better job next year

the plot thickens !!!!!!
Even though I've been greatly disappointed by his performances at times this year, I think Jordan would be making a mistake by dumping Sato totally- even if they have to either stand him down to test-driver for a year or farm him out elsewhere for a while, he's shown enough potential to be worth keeping around- OK, Fisichella has been faster most of the time, but the difference seems to be getting less all the time, and I've been impressed by Sato's starts and early lap aggression- a definite racer in the trues sense of the word... If they can just calm him down enough that he keeps it on the track consistently, without reducing that aggression and ability to overtake people, then he could still have the kind of future in F1 that his F3 performances suggested....

Apart from anything else, bearing in mind their ages, both H-HF & Irvine are only going to be short-term options for Jordan- if they can unlock his true potential, Sato could be the future.....
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:36 (Ref:353373)   #7
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie does know where he will be next year... on his bloody big yacht

But seriously, i think it depends on the engine deal, *If* its a Honda then sato *will* retain his drive if not i doubt it. I think he deserves another year, because:

1) he's sweet and innocent "we have a firm contract"
2) I think he is better than he has shown
3) Cant possibly damage as many cars next year
4) He is Japanesse (HOLD IT!!) I think he has taken a lot of flak because of this, even from before he was signed. anyway we surley have enough Germans (not enough brits)

But he should only stay if will benefit the team, ie there is a deal or sponsorship. Even if he is dropped from a race seat i would keep him as a test driver. Does anybody know what his feedback to the team is like?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 21:06 (Ref:353406)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eddie's pretty good. But I feel a team boss who signs him is up for a season of dead-horse flogging.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 03:44 (Ref:353533)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
Does anybody know what his feedback to the team is like?
Only from what the man himself tells us!

From this months F1 Magazine.

F1 mag.....The engineers tell me you're very into data and telemetry. Is this true?

Sato..... I think it's necessary.It's my job to make the car go quicker. I have to understand what the car is like from an engineering point of view, otherwise i won't be able to speak to the guys- and it's especially important in testing to talk to each other. When i look at the data, i understand nearly everything now.

Last edited by Mr V; 9 Aug 2002 at 03:45.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 05:40 (Ref:353558)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato has done enough to keep his seat for next year. I don't buy into the Sato-Honda thing at all. Every Japanese driver since Nakajima has been thought of having one or another manufacturer in his back pocket.

Line-up next year will be the same. If anything, Fisichella could end up leaving if the right seat became available.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 22:22 (Ref:354339)   #11
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Honda would take Sato to BAR alongside Villeneuve for 02.

Woops.

If Sato is not in F1 next year, It'll be a loss to whoever overlooks him. He's clearly talented and, like Massa, cannot be judged on 1/2 a season.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 02:35 (Ref:355720)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by O'Schumacher
I thought Honda would take Sato to BAR alongside Villeneuve for 02.

Woops.

If Sato is not in F1 next year, It'll be a loss to whoever overlooks him. He's clearly talented and, like Massa, cannot be judged on 1/2 a season.
That's a lot more than Alex Zanardi was judged on. I look at the number of mistakes made by Massa, and then look at the amount of times Zanardi DNFed (or had a disabled car)in '99 due to mechanical problems and I wonder - why is Massa so highly rated?

After his races at Brazil, Monaco, Silverstone and Magny-Cours, I still don't understand it. I mean, look at other rookies - Webber has made one mistake all year and has been R-A-P-I-D. Alonso made very few mistakes, Raikkonen - hardly any. I know which rookie I'd want from '02.

Yes, he's shown some good speed, but he's also done some stupid things.

I just don't understand why the media love some drivers, no matter what they do, and why other drivers can't cop a break from the media, no matter what they do.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 02:47 (Ref:355723)   #13
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a line up of Fisichella and Panis at Jordan?

I say that because I think Button will be joined by Villeneuve next year and I think Jordan will take Panis, just a feeling I have.

I feel this would leave Sato in the BAR/Honda test team being set up at BAR and Sato would be a reserve driver for BAR.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 09:35 (Ref:355841)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
But what about Davidson ?..he is already there...mind you hopefully he will have a good race seat somewhere next year
Old 12 Aug 2002, 10:50 (Ref:355882)   #15
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think somehow David Richards wants to hang on to Panis. Remember Panis "cooked" him a nice meal!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 10:55 (Ref:355888)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only possibility under which Fisichella would be anywhere else would be if Michael retires and Giancarlo goes to Ferrari, but that's unlikely. There are several names in contention to take Sato's drive, but I think a couple of good drives may help him retain it, unless Jordan lose the Honda engines, Sato turns out to be Honda's, and they take him to test the BAR. Otherwise, Irvine or Davidson could help B&H get a British driver that they want.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 11:52 (Ref:355958)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought B&H were reducing/pulling out their support.

I tend to agree about Sato. He's necessarily judged against his immediate opposition and as such, him and Massa (I don't consider Yoong as anybody's opposition) should be rested or given test roles until they start to think a bit more.

As to next year's line up for Jordan? How about swapping Sato for Davidson? Seeing as Wilson can't fit the car.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:48 (Ref:356047)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter, its my understanding that B&H held off renewing their contract with Jordan for 2002 in the wake of Sept 11th, but have recently signed a $45,000,000 dollar deal for at least 3 seasons. B&H will be Jordan's title sponsor next season.

I believe that both Sato and Massa need a year as testers to hone their obvious skills. Let the Swerve have the race seat for one year to nuruture the transition to Cossies. Eddie retires and Sato returns in 2004.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 13:09 (Ref:356077)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jordan + irvine = publicity

and what does ej crave most?
Old 12 Aug 2002, 15:05 (Ref:356145)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for that EERO.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 18:31 (Ref:356257)   #21
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Frentzen can come back to Jordan then we can't rule out Hill returning as well!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 21:05 (Ref:356366)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
jordan + irvine = publicity

and what does ej crave most?
i think your spot on there KDR .

but If Irvine goes to Jordan it should be because of his driving skills , not because he craves publicity ...but thats the way it is i suppose.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 21:43 (Ref:356416)   #23
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think theres no reason that it won't be Fisi and Sato
Old 12 Aug 2002, 21:48 (Ref:356418)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

If Irvine goes to Jordan it should be because of his driving skills , not because he craves publicity ...but thats the way it is i suppose.
I think that Eddie has proved that he's a good driver and can do a good job given a good car. Ok, he may not have done the best job at Jaguar, but then, neither has PDLR. I have faith that Jordan will give Eddie a better car to start with, and along with Fisi, between them will be able to make the car fast.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:01 (Ref:356431)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Firstly i have to say that im a fan of Irvine ......but , i find his attitude a little difficult to defend ...a driver should always give 100% , and i dont think that anyone can really stand up and say Eddie has done that over the past 2 years .

In a way , it reminds me of Damons last season , Maybe it was one season to many .