Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Mar 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2144003)   #1
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who's going to replace Bayliss

2008 will be the last season of the most experienced WSBK rider ever. Bayliss who by now must be 38 or 39, who is still one of the quickest guys out there, but who is also riding one of the best bikes out there, will give the most wanted ride in wsbk to someone else. Question is, who?

I thought we start the speculation right here, right now, nice and early, as nobody has been influenced by any rumours yet!

Personally, I think it's going to be either Checa, Biaggi or Melandri.

Checa, cause Ducati really like him. Jonathan Rea will move to a superbike next season (although Ten Kate have the facilities to enter a 4th bike in WSBK).

Biaggi, doesn't need to be explained.

Melandri, he might fail in Motogp (I hope I'm wrong though).
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2144032)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Niccolo Canepa - just a quick thought...
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2144092)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Melandri - can't see him dropping out of GP that quickly even if he does have the expected nightmare this season.

Checa would be a solid option.

It can't be Biaggi, because he can't stay on the bike.

What about Gregorio Lavilla? He rode for them in BSB.

I'd like it to be Kiyonari though.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2144142)   #4
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
I forgot about Canepa. He's Ducati's baby ofcourse. However, I would find it an amazing step from Superstock to Superbike. That said, they are letting him test a GP8 with the big boys, so who knows.

Kiyonari, not a chance, he's Hondas. I believe he is rather happy living in the Netherlands (who wouldn't be? )

Lavilla, I don't know...
Old 4 Mar 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2144150)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, the Kiyonari suggestion was more dream than feasible really.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2144286)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good question! I'm sure Xaus is posturing himself for that ride. But I don't think he'll be the chosen one. And I don't feel it will be Biaggi either.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2144365)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It depends on too many things which are still unknown. Particularly imprortant is how well Fabrizio does this year - do they need a team leader, or a support rider? Does he need experience to pass onto Michel? If Fabrizio doesn't retain the ride, will they want an Italian on one bike? How well will Xaus/Biaggi/Smrz do on customer Dukes this year? Who will be out of contract? Who will shine in the domestic championships or struggle in MotoGP?

In the interest of naming outside candidates (to look like a genius if they do get the ride, without looking bad if they don't), how about Smrz or Shane Byrne?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2144375)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leon Haslam? He did win the BSB title on a Ducati.

Of course, not sure how long his HM Plant deal is for.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2144408)   #9
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
I'm affraid to say that Leon has not won a BSB title. He has talent, but again I find it difficult to imagine him getting the Bayliss ride.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2144444)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
My bad...
Old 4 Mar 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2144540)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
the most experienced WSBK rider ever
On what basis? Foggy has more wins and titles (even if Bayliss wins this one). Corser, Chili, Foggy and many others have more starts. Foggy and Corser both have more poles and podiums. Kocinski won more Grands Prix and a higher ratio of his WSBK races. And so on.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2144695)   #12
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Ehhmm... yeah.... you know.... ehhhhmmmm..... ehhhhhmmmmm..... Look, there's a flying pig!
Old 5 Mar 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2144701)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember Bayliss went form Aus to England to USA to WSBK in about 5 years, and then only has spent 6 years in WSBK. One of the best, but not experianced.

What was it? 95-96 Aus Superbike, 97-2000 BSB? 2000 pole at Daytona, dump the bike then off to WSBK?

I don't think it'll be Xaus, he's the most hired-fired guy in Factory Ducati history, I think they've had enough of him.

Smrz? I don't know. I'd like to see Troy "Vowl-less" replace Bayliss, but i'm not sure.

Biaggi : For sure, if he applys himself and wins then i'm sure he'll get the nod.

Melandri? With the resurgance of WSBK, he could be the next "Kosinski" and come over in his prime. It'd be interesting to see if he did.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2144738)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BAyliss was in BSB for only two years in 98 and 99, had a few races for AMA in early 00 and has been a factoty man every since I think.

I reckon Biaggi, depends on Tardozzi really, if he thinks he is the right man or not, may be even Hodgson but I thinik too old now.

If Shakey ever comes over it will be with GSE but I think they will be happy doing the two races as wildcards from now with BSB using Pirelli
Old 9 Mar 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2147372)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Nori? Just a thought.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2147388)   #16
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeremy McWilliams is still young...
Old 9 Mar 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2147409)   #17
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biaggi is the most likely choice at the moment, as long as he has a decent year this year.

Xuas would be a better choice and he has always been a favorite of Tarozzi, so he's got a shot at it. He's also very popular with Ducati, he's a good development rider and he has a big personality.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2147616)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps Biaggi but there are at least half-a-dozen riders, IMO, who would be considered.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2147674)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Loris Capirossi...
Old 15 May 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2202895)   #20
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
In the interest of naming outside candidates (to look like a genius if they do get the ride, without looking bad if they don't), how about Smrz or Shane Byrne?
You might look like a genius at the end of the year. Shakey makes it look easy in BSB (from what I hear). I don't think they can give Fabrizio the no. 1 spot in the team next year, he'll need a teamleader.

Shakey will have experience with the bike and the tyres, so that transition should go easy. If they offer him the job, he would be crazy to decline it. There is a lot of young talent in BSB and a few riders over their expiry date, so Byrne stands out a bit, and in my view doesn't really belong in between that bunch.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2202956)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
The Eurosport BSB coverage has suggested Byrne for the WSBK ride now. If he wins the title he'll have little to gain from staying in the series for another year, and I'm sure he's good enough for a big ride in an international series.
Old 15 May 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2203007)   #22
Shaun1981
Rookie

United Kingdom
Shaun1981 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see Shakey given the Ducati in WSBK, think he would have a great chance of results in the series. Interesting that Max Neukirchner has just signed a contract extension with the Alstare team too, looks they think he has a good future in WSBK.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2203029)   #23
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
I wouldn't disagree with Alstare. The guy is doing great on what looks like the 07 bike (just compare the exhaust on Nieto's and Kagayama's bike with Neukirchers).

There is intrest from Dorna's side to get a German into Motogp and allegedly BMW wanted Neukircher as well!

So, smart move from Alstare to give him a contract so quick.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2240237)   #24
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Apparently Max Biaggi has got the best cards for getting the ride...
Old 1 Jul 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2241192)   #25
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andrew Pitt - if he wins his 2nd Supersport Championship... Was pretty good on the Yamaha WSB in 2006 - 5th in points with a win & Moto GP experience