Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Jun 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3269164)   #1
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic July 26-28

Now don't shoot the messenger nor complain to me about late finishes, timetable content etc.etc cos I ain't the person to ***** at. The event is what it is, and is what it is known to be. You either like it, or you don't but please, if you don't like it, don't volunteer and don't moan about it on this forum. Address your feelings to the organisers.
For those that like the event and wish to use the marshals camp-site, there is a link to the website to fill your form in: marshalscamping , the code is: sc13marshal this is different to that on the HSCC website that is out of date.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3269577)   #2
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The marshal camp site still being a dirt track in the middle of some paddy field as far from the track as possible??????
Old 25 Jun 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3269591)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
You either like it, or you don't but please, if you don't like it, don't volunteer and don't moan about it on this forum. Address your feelings to the organisers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakeriath View Post
The marshal camp site still being a dirt track in the middle of some paddy field as far from the track as possible??????
Old 25 Jun 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3269643)   #4
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakeriath View Post
Refer to Post 1!!!
Have you passed your comments to the organisers? If not... why not?
*****ing about the camp-site on this forum is not going to change anything
Old 25 Jun 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3269648)   #5
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I don't know if I like it cus I've never been to it. If the only advice available is "Like it or lump it" then I guess it's probably best to avoid it .

Steve
Old 25 Jun 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3269653)   #6
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not going for the first time in 9 years, due to holiday commitments. To those who haven't been - it's probably the best meeting of the year-capacity grids of some of the most iconic cars from the last 70+ years, good, clean racing, the best off-track activities/stalls/displays, including live music friday & saturday nights, a packed timetable, some of the best historic drivers in the world. Oh, and a couple of late finishes, one watching Group C (I'm guessing-not seen the timetable this year!) racing into the night.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3269670)   #7
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Refer to Post 1!!!
Have you passed your comments to the organisers? If not... why not?
*****ing about the camp-site on this forum is not going to change anything
Yes I have, both at the time and after the meeting. The classic its self to me is one of the best meetings of the year and as such have never complained about the meeting. My comments were basically a sarcastic way of asking where the camp site was going to be this year.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3269701)   #8
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Here's a non sarcastic reply.

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Camping_Details.pdf

Note my comment at #1 about the password.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3269706)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
one watching Group C (I'm guessing-not seen the timetable this year!) racing into the night.
I think the twilight race this year will be for the Gentlemen Drivers GTs (Pre '66 Appendix K cars).
Old 25 Jun 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3269737)   #10
morwenna
Racer

morwenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info Chigley. Has information been sent out about this yet, as I haven't had anything? I notice the pdf says the camping should be booked by 30th June, so it's a good job I saw this on here!
Old 25 Jun 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3269739)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna View Post
Has information been sent out about this yet, as I haven't had anything?
Not as far as I'm aware.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3269757)   #12
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
But I don't know if I like it cus I've never been to it. If the only advice available is "Like it or lump it" then I guess it's probably best to avoid it .

Steve
I suspect that if you use the search function you would find posts relating to previous years... along with some of the good/bad/etc points of view.

Just a thought
Old 25 Jun 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3269771)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
I'm not going for the first time in 9 years, due to holiday commitments. To those who haven't been - it's probably the best meeting of the year-capacity grids of some of the most iconic cars from the last 70+ years, good, clean racing, the best off-track activities/stalls/displays, including live music friday & saturday nights, a packed timetable, some of the best historic drivers in the world. Oh, and a couple of late finishes, one watching Group C (I'm guessing-not seen the timetable this year!) racing into the night.
Have to agree with Steve, this is my Marmite meeting, and I love it!
Unfortunately, for the first time, I meeting I love even more, the Spa 24 hours, falls on the same weekend. Hope to see you next year.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 23:05 (Ref:3269774)   #14
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna View Post
Thanks for the info Chigley. Has information been sent out about this yet, as I haven't had anything? I notice the pdf says the camping should be booked by 30th June, so it's a good job I saw this on here!
No info sent out yet, I'm just keeping an eye on the HSCC website for info as it appears.

Quote:
But I don't know if I like it cus I've never been to it.
The answer to that is look at last years event/timetable/entries. If you like really good, hard, clean and respectful historic racing then this is for you. Saturday is a long day, but when you see what is on track, time doesn't matter (to whose who like the event).
All the runners, riders, results and timetable are here from last years event.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3269842)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of things were said to Silverstone regarding campsites last year especially at the meeting held with circuit bosses.

Silverstone are looking at many options for a more permanent campsite, this may however not take effect this year.

Right, back to the Silverstone Classic.

This meeting in my opinion is a must do. The hours are long, oh so long, but I think that's what makes the meeting as good as it is.

If you're unsure about it, why not try it anyway? You could be pleasantly surprised!
Old 26 Jun 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3269889)   #16
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post

Steve
To veer away from marmite references to another product - "Try it. You might like it."

I'm with those who think it's a fantastic meeting and I'm happy to do the long hours for the marvellous and varied cars you see racing. I'm also of the view that you should try all sorts of racing and meetings once for yourself, rather than relying on the views of others. If you don't like it - don't sign up for it again.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3269968)   #17
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, if no communication has been made to marshals how are they going to apply before the 30th of June. Not all marshals are on ten tenths.....

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 26 Jun 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3269969)   #18
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I received an e-mail from penny on the 12th about it
Old 26 Jun 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3270118)   #19
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Last years meeting was a week earlier and the info sheet on the HSCC website is from last years meeting. So is it safe to assume that camping requests can be submitted a week later than 30 June?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3276726)   #20
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Bump
Old 11 Jul 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3276819)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
I'm on the beg, steal, borrow, kill...etc. Would any kind soul have a spare couple of tickets for the Classic please. A long time mate of mine has been left short of two tickets for his family. Any kind donations gratefully accepted and if you can catch me at the catering/beer arena there may be some liquid refreshment offered.

Old 12 Jul 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3276871)   #22
rob wheeler
Rookie

rob wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me this is one of the highlights of the year, so much so that i will in fact be using the event to celebrate my 30th birthday so no orange for me.

it was a toss up between going to hungary to watch the gp or silverstone for varied grids with fantastic real racing and i think you can guess which won out in the end.

mind you as there will be a small group of us going i'm going to try and convince them to become marshal's at some point, does anyone know if the recruitment stand is going to be at silverstone at all?
Old 12 Jul 2013, 07:46 (Ref:3276905)   #23
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone classic

[QUOTE=Chigley;3276819]I'm on the beg, steal, borrow, kill...etc. Would any kind soul have a spare couple of tickets for the Classic please. A long time mate of mine has been left short of two tickets for his family. Any kind donations gratefully accepted and if you can catch me at the catering/beer arena there may be some liquid refreshment offered.

Ian I have sent you a P.M.

Joe
Old 29 Jul 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3283449)   #24
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On behalf of myself, HSCC and Goose, I would like to thank all marshals for the weekend. Some days were long and wet, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

I think most posts had some sort of incident over the weekend and everything was dealt with efficiently.

Marshals at the posts where the parades were entering/exiting the circuit also helped out getting the cars on and off the circuit and this was of much help to ensure the smooth running of the meeting. For those of you who want to know, there were 1208 Porsche 911 cars which came on and off within 50 minutes.

If anyone has any comments for improvements then please let me know and we will see if there is anything that can be done.

Once again my thanks to all marshals at The Silverstone Classic.

Fay Crook
Chief Marshal
Silverstone Classic
Old 29 Jul 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3283455)   #25
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
On behalf of myself, HSCC and Goose, I would like to thank all marshals for the weekend. Some days were long and wet, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

If anyone has any comments for improvements then please let me know and we will see if there is anything that can be done.

Once again my thanks to all marshals at The Silverstone Classic.
Saturday was short and very very wet!!!

Glad to help out the (non)parade on Saturday - although throwing a days worth of rain at us in 10 minutes wasn't nice

I think our brief visit to the event has given us enough incentive to add it to the 'to do' list for next year!