Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 May 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3822540)   #26
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look at F1 or LMP1.

You can't buy a road-going version of those cars, yet the manufacturers pour significant amounts of money in.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3822541)   #27
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Is that a requirement?

Common chassis - throw some tailored panels at it and call it whatever your marketing team approves of.

Thats Touring car racing isn't it?
Is Australia going the same way as the US though? SUVs, crossovers and pickups have destroyed the traditional car market. They might not be interested in ploughing money into a segment of the market that is shrinking rapidly.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3822546)   #28
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There would have been serious problems for the category had Ford not decided to re-enter with the Mustang.
Old 15 May 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3822551)   #29
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd wager a tilt at running Camaro once the Altima is done. 2 at WAU and 4 at the Kellys...a quick way to get numbers on the grid to counter the Mustang push.
Old 15 May 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3822552)   #30
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
I'd wager a tilt at running Camaro once the Altima is done. 2 at WAU and 4 at the Kellys...a quick way to get numbers on the grid to counter the Mustang push.
Idea has merit.
Old 15 May 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3822557)   #31
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Could also see the Kelly's run the Camaro's. Pretty sure there big chevy fans and be nice to see a few teams take the Camaro's if there run at all. Be funny in a way, if WAU (old HRT) and Kellys (old Kmart/HSV) end up running the same cars again.
Old 15 May 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3822578)   #32
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Kelly's are a constructor with significant commitments, would they really become a customer team for WAU?

Or maybe a JV like DJRTP/Prodrive.
Old 15 May 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3822580)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Video From Todd Kelly
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 May 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3822589)   #34
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Im down for that.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3822600)   #35
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Could also see the Kelly's run the Camaro's. Pretty sure there big chevy fans and be nice to see a few teams take the Camaro's if there run at all. Be funny in a way, if WAU (old HRT) and Kellys (old Kmart/HSV) end up running the same cars again.
Be a great throw back for the retro round. The old liveries would look mint on the Camaro body!
Old 15 May 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3822601)   #36
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its not surprising but still a shame. No matter how you look at it, the Nissan venture has been very lean in regards to results, some might say a failure. We'll never know how other teams might have gone, but confident in saying that not many others would have got worse results than the Kellys have.
Old 15 May 2018, 18:54 (Ref:3822659)   #37
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon losing Sandown would have had a greater impact on the series than losing Nissan.

I don't feel like Nissan ever really solidified thier position within Supercars - always talk of undecided future commitment etc. Plus I feel they never really quite made an impact with fans. Racing an Altima may go a ways to explaining that...
Old 15 May 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3822705)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
I reckon losing Sandown would have had a greater impact on the series than losing Nissan.

I don't feel like Nissan ever really solidified thier position within Supercars - always talk of undecided future commitment etc. Plus I feel they never really quite made an impact with fans. Racing an Altima may go a ways to explaining that...
Cant say i saw too many nissan flags or merchandise
Old 15 May 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3822708)   #39
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post

The Altima was a dead duck in Australia from the word go , a new player in a dying market was a pretty dumb move proved by the complete lack of sales (did the public actually buy them as I have only seen them as rentals) , Is there a real following for Nissan in Australia ? other than the GTR and Navara/Pathfinder nothing else seems to sell , even the Patrol is down to 10% of Landcruiser sales , perhaps Mazda or Hyundai would be a good fit for Kelly Racing if they could convince them to throw their hat into the ring , they managed to entice Nissan so probably worth a go.
Old 15 May 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3822713)   #40
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan have been asleep at the wheel with motorsport in Australia - they have 2 GTR's sitting in a shed @ Dandenong and GTR race replicas as well out the back doing nothing.
Old 15 May 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3822715)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
The Altima was a dead duck in Australia from the word go , a new player in a dying market was a pretty dumb move proved by the complete lack of sales (did the public actually buy them as I have only seen them as rentals) , Is there a real following for Nissan in Australia ? other than the GTR and Navara/Pathfinder nothing else seems to sell , even the Patrol is down to 10% of Landcruiser sales , perhaps Mazda or Hyundai would be a good fit for Kelly Racing if they could convince them to throw their hat into the ring , they managed to entice Nissan so probably worth a go.
Im not disagreeing with you

But the altima is one of the best selling cars in the USA and a natural competitor to the Camry, which is still one of Australias best selling, non ute, vehicles.

It sold ok for the first year or so as well, 1800 sales, but as you said, dying market
Old 15 May 2018, 23:25 (Ref:3822719)   #42
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Nissan have been asleep at the wheel with motorsport in Australia - they have 2 GTR's sitting in a shed @ Dandenong and GTR race replicas as well out the back doing nothing.
Agree. The omission from entering the 12 Hour was disappointing but perhaps a sign of where they are at. Good luck with the SUV and electric business model Nissan, it'll be as successful as Nissan GT-R LM Nismo.
Old 16 May 2018, 00:26 (Ref:3822723)   #43
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan as a brand has also been asleep at the wheel - Pulsar - Tiida - Pulsar then Maxima to Altima not forgetting Micra

The X-Trail is the number one SUV in the world but they are only letting the public know this now with their current advertising after the Zoom Zoom & other manufactures have bolted.

Nissan dealerships look tired and have nothing appealing - Juke, Qasqhai, X-Trail, Pathfinder & Navara is effectively their current line up with the bulk being CVT gearbox driven - 370z is ancient and the GTR is long in the tooth and the Patrol is petrol.
Old 16 May 2018, 00:31 (Ref:3822724)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Nissan as a brand has also been asleep at the wheel - Pulsar - Tiida - Pulsar then Maxima to Altima not forgetting Micra

The X-Trail is the number one SUV in the world but they are only letting the public know this now with their current advertising after the Zoom Zoom & other manufactures have bolted.

Nissan dealerships look tired and have nothing appealing - Juke, Qasqhai, X-Trail, Pathfinder & Navara is effectively their current line up with the bulk being CVT gearbox driven - 370z is ancient and the GTR is long in the tooth and the Patrol is petrol.
just putting that into numbers

The only Nissan is top 3 sellers for its class in April was the Patrol (there were only two cars in its class) Nissan as a whole were No 11.

Its March results were better though
Old 16 May 2018, 00:37 (Ref:3822726)   #45
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Never saw the ground swell of support trackside for Nissan like Volvo had, Im sure the Kellys have their fans but there was nothing compared to all the other manufacturers. I'd put it down to the Altima not interesting people whereas at the 12hr you had plenty of people who loved the GT-Rs and happily spent money on merchandise so I think there would've been more support from the fans had they switched to Godzilla.
Old 16 May 2018, 01:30 (Ref:3822729)   #46
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Kellys should homologate GTR bodywork and carry on. At least they'd have a point of difference with a product that people would be drawn to.
Old 16 May 2018, 01:39 (Ref:3822731)   #47
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt they'd ever make back the minimum half million to develop the new bodywork with merch sales.
Old 16 May 2018, 01:39 (Ref:3822732)   #48
Umai Naa
Veteran

Maybe, except one of their biggest investors has pulled the pin, with perhaps another, if SdS is relocated elsewhere.
Old 16 May 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3822770)   #49
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a huge shame to see Nissan go but I was almost sure that it was going to happen. For me, one of the mistakes that the team made was that their driver lineup was most of the time wrong and underachieving. Instead of De Silvestro and Todd Kelly, they should've engaged more exciting talents for 2017, when they started their first year of the extension of the contract. Maybe that would've helped in better results and maybe the decision would be different now.

But still, it seems that Nissan was never in the same place as Ford and Holden, not only results-wise. They've always been some addition but never got any spotlight and this left an impact on the decision, I feel.
Old 16 May 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3822791)   #50
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Watch Holden circle Simona now, as they want a female driver on there books for PR reasons.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish