Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Aug 2003, 11:32 (Ref:686075)   #1
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please don't moan at our Mondeo...

We've had a new Mondeo since nearly the beginning of the year.....and its a fantastic black beast of a car....the 2.5l V6 Zetec S version, 18" wheels, with rubber bands etc....

Obviously I love the car - but not having been in this country all that long I have heard nothing but people moaning about Mondeo drivers....can anyone enlighten me on this phenomenon?? Ours is a fantastic (new shape) gutsy beast with loads of power for towing the race car - and I love driving it...ps I am female but I can drive!! My other car is a '67 Midget btw...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 14:05 (Ref:686241)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno, what do they say about Mondeo drivers?
because I am one now
Old 12 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:686252)   #3
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are mondeo drivers as well. Ours is a diesel LX (also new shape) but has some serious grunt!!...

I have no idea why people moan about mondeo drivers but it may have something to do with the fact that the previous model (mk II) was a popular company rep car...

We would never have anything else now.. we love it!!
Old 12 Aug 2003, 15:03 (Ref:686279)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Maybe it's cos most Mondeos are company cars and company car drivers get a bad reputation. Mind you my bro has a Mondeo and he is a complete a-hole
Old 12 Aug 2003, 19:03 (Ref:686519)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted: you're double the man of any loser caught in a Vectra.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 22:02 (Ref:686672)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry Vectra drivers of the world but I agree with Trissy on this occasion....
Old 13 Aug 2003, 05:02 (Ref:686833)   #7
rx72c
Rookie

rx72c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i also get that impression when im driving, im speeding and then all of a dumb sudden some mondeo driver pops out from a street and i have to burn my brakes OHHH SO ANNOYING
Old 13 Aug 2003, 06:38 (Ref:686849)   #8
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny - maybe every country has a different car they pick on. In Australia its Volvos and if the driver is wearing a hat as well you might as well just pull over and let them go
Old 13 Aug 2003, 07:26 (Ref:686865)   #9
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I have the Ghia-X 4 door saloon version in Metallic Blue, quite rare as Mondeos go as almost every other Mondeo is the 5 door hatchback. I like it because it is relatively anonymous on the road, yet stands out in our Silver BMW and Silver Audi (yawn) infested office carpark.

I don't think the bad reputation is because of the car, it's just that the Mondeo is a popular choice for company-car drivers. You could put some people in Aston Martins and they would still drive like ****ers. Unfortunately a lot of company car drivers don't show much respect for their machinery on the grounds that it isn't theirs and this attitude tends to percolate into their driving irrespective of the choice of car.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:52 (Ref:686915)   #10
Tedebear
Rookie

Guess it must be the company car driver thing then.....probably the same way I moan at vectra drivers....

But then again we're a Ford family so I wouldn't have it any other way - the mondeo tows the Mk1 GT Cortina - even has some decent torque when towing....

You're right Neil - some people would be bad drivers no matter what they were sitting behind the wheel of really...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:35 (Ref:687079)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Mondeo / Vectra = Repmobile
Volvo / Rover = Old duffer
BMW = arrogant
Discovery = School run mum
Nova / Corsa / Fiesta / Punto / Saxo = Young tearaway
Saab convertible = mid life crisis man

Sweeping generalisations of course but you get the general idea.

(I've probably just offended half of the entire world with that list so I'll do the apologising now - sorry, no offence meant etc etc)

Last edited by Bluebottle; 13 Aug 2003 at 20:47.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:39 (Ref:687085)   #12
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Told my wife the other day that as I am approaching the age for a 'mid-life crisis' I could do one of two things:

1: Run off with a 16 year old waitress

2: Buy a sports car.

Her response?

Buy the car, make it an Alfa then run off with the waitress and leave the car behind.....
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:687173)   #13
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Mondeo / Vectra = Repmobile
Volvo / Rover = Old duffer
BMW = arrogant
Discovery = School run mum
Nova / Corsa / Fiesta / Punto / Saxo = Young tearaway

Sweeping generalisations of course but you get the general idea.

(I've probably just offended half of the entire world with that list so I'll do the apologising now - sorry, no offence meant etc etc)
Here in the states, its
Corvette=mid life crisis man
Robert

Last edited by Bluebottle; 13 Aug 2003 at 20:48.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 20:49 (Ref:687542)   #14
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont forget those complete White Van drivers....
Old 13 Aug 2003, 21:47 (Ref:687606)   #15
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audis are boring cars to look at too, except maybe the TT which i dont like anyway.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 23:50 (Ref:688659)   #16
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
The only Audi I would call good looking is the R8, but you can't get a road legal version
Old 15 Aug 2003, 23:07 (Ref:689427)   #17
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Ted: you're double the man of any loser caught in a Vectra.
Are you mocking Vectra drivers?

I'm deely hurt. I know what you mean though. I used to work for a Vauxhall dealers and the number of cars we sent to rep nutters every month was unbelievable!

Rule of thumb though. If it's a Vectra CD/CDX it's a silly rep. Anything else is a 'normal' person.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 23:12 (Ref:689433)   #18
yorkie
Rookie

yorkie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing wrong with Mondeos Tedebear. I have one myself, all be it an ST200 (bit like yours but with a bit more grunt). Just remember that the BMW 3 series is out selling Mondeos at the moment. It could be the death of society as we know it!
Old 16 Aug 2003, 12:53 (Ref:689747)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As An Aussie, it amazes me that you English folk use mid size FWDs for towing cars. Here, we use large 4WD wagons, F-trucks or at the least, large saloons/estates with 4 litre engines and RWD.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:15 (Ref:691028)   #20
Tedebear
Rookie

Oooooh Yorkie - we're thinking of trading up to an ST220 estate when we can find some spare change!!

David P. I know what you mean - as I'm a southern Sydney girl born and bred most people I know at home have large 4WD's to tow including my parents......I'm not a huge fan of 4WD cars for here (souther England) as we live in a little town of tiny roads - so the estate car is big enough to handle the towing yet not too big to fit down some of the roads around where I now live...and we get better economy out of it than a large 4WD...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:19 (Ref:695413)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tedebear
Oooooh Yorkie - we're thinking of trading up to an ST220 estate when we can find some spare change!!

.................I know at home have large 4WD's to tow including my parents......I'm not a huge fan of 4WD cars for here (souther England) as we live in a little town of tiny roads - so the estate car is big enough to handle the towing yet not too big to fit down some of the roads around where I now live...
Best road car I've ever owned was my Mondeo Si. Got it with trick suspension, brakes and gearbox. All factory fitted.

Now I've got a Jeep Cherokee and it tows like the trailer isn't there.

And Tedebear. I race a Capri and my other car is a MGB 65 roadster.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:20 (Ref:695416)   #22
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Best road car I've ever owned was my Mondeo Si. Got it with trick suspension, brakes and gearbox. All factory fitted.
Funny that, my 2000 model Mondeo has trick brakes. The trick is getting them to work properly *groan*
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:25 (Ref:695422)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mine was a '98.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:26 (Ref:695425)   #24
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Ah, not the new model that's had more recalls for brakes than any other car in history...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:28 (Ref:695427)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep second series. The first was the one which wore out bushes like there was no tomorrow.