Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3877880)   #401
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's just not true. We all well remember and that was my very point. During the bank crisis there was no sign we would be leaving the EU to sunlit uplands/total disaster.

But 10 years could be three elections, each one with a different set of ambitions. People change their own priorities. 10 years *is* a long time these days.
Well, before the supposed fixed term was introduced there could have been many more than 3 elections just as in, for example, Italy.

However the Civil Service would probably have been quite stable during such political turmoil so nothing political would have mattered much.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3877881)   #402
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's exquisite timing. Apparently only 4% of his sales are to the EU so I suppose it makes sense. Still he's a very, very wealthy man so what does he care how it looks?
Amazing how much their sales have apparently changed, about 5 years ago 15% of their sales were in the UK.
Add in the rest of Europe and their EU sales must have been pretty large.

If their EU sales (which apparently increased 21% in 2017) are really only 4% of their business you can imagine they'll happily drop that whole market - and make the Jaguar etc. mistake of relying on the emerging markets.

Or is it that when talking about Europe he means EU without the UK and their sales are pitiful in the rest of the EU (which does have plenty of manufacturers)?
Old 23 Jan 2019, 10:56 (Ref:3877885)   #403
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So knighted British entrepreneur, inventor, and brexit supporter Dyson is now moving his company HQ to Singapore. We’re told it’s nothing to with us leaving the EU, and makes sense with his manufacturing already based there. Plus his forthcoming electric car will be built there also.

But still seems a bit of a snub to me......
I don't think the location of an HQ - if is if genuinely an operational HQ of a of a "proper" company, matters much other than for taxation purposes.

Personally I have never seen the attraction of Dyson products. The hand driers are ok but the vacuum cleaners are, to my mind, over complicated poorly performing and way over-priced.

I seem to recall reading recently that he had just bought an incredibly expensive apartment in New York. So in effect he is just another UK technology export of which we see several every year.

Meanwhile BAE has sold a majority share in its military armoured vehicle maintenance operation to a German company.

In a fully integrated Europe, as conceived by the founders, this would not be of much note. In a "no Brexit" situation it would be only slightly more newsworthy.

In a possible Brexit situation it seems to be a bit more interesting from a business perspective and even more so from a symbolic perspective.

Is there any chance that someone could put in a bid for the Palace of Westminster and its denizens and move them somewhere else in the world before their sale value falls to zero?
Old 23 Jan 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3877907)   #404
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Amazing how much their sales have apparently changed, about 5 years ago 15% of their sales were in the UK.

Add in the rest of Europe and their EU sales must have been pretty large.

If their EU sales (which apparently increased 21% in 2017) are really only 4% of their business you can imagine they'll happily drop that whole market - and make the Jaguar etc. mistake of relying on the emerging markets.

Or is it that when talking about Europe he means EU without the UK and their sales are pitiful in the rest of the EU (which does have plenty of manufacturers)?
This was the figure quoted on our local news last night. I don't think I got it wrong but you never know.........

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Jan 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3877910)   #405
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Dyson - some numbers but not the ones of interest in detail.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-spending-boom

Also this.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider...record-profits

Last edited by grantp; 23 Jan 2019 at 13:14.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3877913)   #406
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I suspect his reasons for not bothering with the EU market is the draconian rules being imposed by the Commission which restrict the power of many appliances, under 'save energy, save the planet' auspices. He's had a running battle with the EU over energy labelling for more than 4 years and although he finally won the latest round at the ECJ I think he's likely fed up with the lot of them, like so many of us.

https://news.sky.com/story/dyson-win...rules-11547949

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41119355
Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3877917)   #407
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I see 'The Daily Mash', is getting involved in the vacuum cleaner thing...
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20190123181694
Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3877918)   #408
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And this.....................
Attached Thumbnails
Capture2.PNG  
Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3877922)   #409
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's featuring on Jeremy Vine as I type. To listen to people foaming at the mouth is funny. From what I hear now there's only a couple of jobs going from Malmesbury so that seems brighter.

In reality if it doesn't affect the community that much there's little to get het up about.

Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3877925)   #410
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So knighted British entrepreneur, inventor, and brexit supporter Dyson is now moving his company HQ to Singapore. We’re told it’s nothing to with us leaving the EU, and makes sense with his manufacturing already based there. Plus his forthcoming electric car will be built there also.

But still seems a bit of a snub to me......
Dyson is a hypocrite, through his family investments and trusts he holds approx. 33,000 acres of land, in receipt of £1.5 mio. in EU subsidies. Most of the holdings are in family trusts and can can be passed on to his family without attracting inheritance tax. An avid, almost rabid Brexiteer, he warned HMG not to cut agricultural subsidies if/when UK departs the EU.

Nice business if you can get it, but what feat of verbal gymnastics is required to justify this and more recent pronouncements about corporate relocation?.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3877928)   #411
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's featuring on Jeremy Vine as I type. To listen to people foaming at the mouth is funny. From what I hear now there's only a couple of jobs going from Malmesbury so that seems brighter.

In reality if it doesn't affect the community that much there's little to get het up about.

It's probably making the point that as a worldwide brand the jobs will be safer than if the country stays in the EU since that's where the market is.

As to the subsidies thing, I'm not sure you can retain the subsidies outside of the EU.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3877929)   #412
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
When I saw the "fury" about Dyson's plans, and then looked into it a little more, I was moved to ponder.....

According to the Times his company has invested £200 million at its 750acre Hullavington campus, £31million at Malmesbury Institute of Engineering and Technology, and wants to make a £350 million pond expansion into MoD land adjacent to Malmesbury......

Wonder how many of the critics screaming "foul" have ever invested anything in UK, or indeed ever run a company employing anyone?
Old 23 Jan 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3877941)   #413
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I see 'The Daily Mash', is getting involved in the vacuum cleaner thing...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20190123181694

Most Vacuum cleaners just collect dust though
Old 23 Jan 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3877946)   #414
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bauble, I can tell you how much your world has changed since I was young. Our parents were so happy to get rid of us during vacations, the favorite destination to send the puppies was either Ramsgate or Herne Bay. I never imagine I could have this for an english exam:
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20190116181425
And I won't comment the way you now treat women: Women, meanwhile, enjoyed the brief interruption in the non-stop flow of adverts telling them they are too fat, shiny, frizzy, spotty, frumpy, slutty, boring, loud, overworked or lazy. "Difficile d'être une femme dans l'Angleterre d'aujourd'hui!" After this, I wonder who is using the vacuum cleaner in your houses!!
Old 23 Jan 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3877956)   #415
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I suspect his reasons for not bothering with the EU market is the draconian rules being imposed by the Commission which restrict the power of many appliances, under 'save energy, save the planet' auspices.
Although I agree with the above, it’s been suggested that manufacturers have met the new regulations with a bit of re-engineering, and with no loss of performance. Just like happens with car engines and more severe limits on emissions etc....
Old 23 Jan 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3877957)   #416
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually this is one of the things that we can't complain about.

The fact that the EU has imposed certain rules on various industries has resulted in improvements in technology. Remember when we had to suffer the dim long life light bulbs. The fact they are filled with a greenhouse gas was irrelevant. However LED technology has moved on to the extent that we can now brighten up our palaces with little or no loss of brightness.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3877958)   #417
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Most Vacuum cleaners just collect dust though
A Sniff Petrol 'article' about James Dyson once described him as a 'Dust magnate' which I thought was clever!
Old 23 Jan 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3877973)   #418
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=VIVA GT;3877958]A Sniff Petrol 'article' about James Dyson once described him as a 'Dust magnate' which I thought was clever![/QUOTE

Personally I would have described him as a sucker.:laugh
Old 23 Jan 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3877981)   #419
midgetman
Veteran

[QUOTE=bauble;3877973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A Sniff Petrol 'article' about James Dyson once described him as a 'Dust magnate' which I thought was clever![/QUOTE

Personally I would have described him as a sucker.:laugh
The amount of money he's made, I don't think that's an epithet we can put his way.

Old 23 Jan 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3877983)   #420
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

[QUOTE=midgetman;3877981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The amount of money he's made, I don't think that's an epithet we can put his way.

Especially starting from the ballbarrow.

Clearly he expected to need the barrow at some point to move the cash around.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3877986)   #421
midgetman
Veteran

I didn't realise the ballbarrow was his.

He's a brilliant man who deserves his success. I just hope he doesn't screw us on his way out.

Old 23 Jan 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3878004)   #422
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=midgetman;3877981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Oh! Come on Midge, read the tag line.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3878005)   #423
midgetman
Veteran

Two points Bauble

1. I can't see the tag line on Tapatalk so forgive me

2. Back at you! You don't need to take everything I say too seriously

Old 23 Jan 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3878006)   #424
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
[QUOTE=bauble;3878004]
Quote:

Oh! Come on Midge, read the tag line.
Thanks for the support Baub
(Mind you, it's not really my size, plus, I'd have preferred it if you'd washed it first, but it's the thought that counts!)
Old 24 Jan 2019, 06:57 (Ref:3878108)   #425
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Two points Bauble

1. I can't see the tag line on Tapatalk so forgive me

2. Back at you! You don't need to take everything I say too seriously

Touche! (That's yer actual French.)