Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Apr 2023, 09:59 (Ref:4150724)   #2201
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe One are due to announce another driver, but no idea who or when. One big surprise on Media Day perhaps?
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:22 (Ref:4150730)   #2202
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
Will be interested to see if One Motorsport announce 1 or 2 more drivers. Plato and Proctor perhaps?
Just one, saving the hype until last...
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:27 (Ref:4150734)   #2203
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
That won’t be Proctor or Smelt then will it?

I thought the plan was for One Motorsport to expand to 4 cars? I’ll have to check on TBL allocations…

Edit : BTC Racing 3 TBLs. But I’ve lost tracking where Moffat’s TBLs have gone and what happens to TD’s ones? Still a chance of more than 3 One Motorsport cars running this season?
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:35 (Ref:4150735)   #2204
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I'm not sure how much hype there is, they've been very quiet since the initial announcement of the name change and Moffat joining. You won't be seeing the big fancy hospitality suite this year either.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:55 (Ref:4150736)   #2205
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I'm not sure how much hype there is, they've been very quiet since the initial announcement of the name change and Moffat joining. You won't be seeing the big fancy hospitality suite this year either.
Doesn’t look like they’ll be testing until Media Day either?
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:58 (Ref:4150737)   #2206
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Doesn’t look like they’ll be testing until Media Day either?

Who has been testing this year? It's been extremely quiet in that regard.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 11:04 (Ref:4150738)   #2207
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Who has been testing this year? It's been extremely quiet in that regard.
Everyone but One I think - haven’t seen Speedworks but thought I read they were testing somewhere?
Old 7 Apr 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4150739)   #2208
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Everyone but One I think - haven’t seen Speedworks but thought I read they were testing somewhere?
All teams tested at Brands on Tuesday except PMR and One, PMR tested there a couple of weeks ago. So unless they've done it privately, One haven't done any testing yet.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 11:19 (Ref:4150741)   #2209
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a peep about that test at Brands Hatch from btcc.net/TOCA. Very odd, in previous years they've had extensive coverage and live timing.

Contrast to 2014 when there was an article the week before https://www.btcc.net/2014/03/10/btcc...ds-hatch-test/
Old 7 Apr 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4150742)   #2210
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Not a peep about that test at Brands Hatch from btcc.net/TOCA. Very odd, in previous years they've had extensive coverage and live timing.
because it wasnt an offical btcc test
just some of the teams getting together to share their circuit hire costs

the only official test is next week
Old 7 Apr 2023, 12:10 (Ref:4150753)   #2211
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post

That hasn't stopped them reporting on it in the past.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4150765)   #2212
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It would seem one team rented the track and sold slots to other teams. BTCC, Minis and Porsche. A busy couple of days I hear
Old 7 Apr 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4150767)   #2213
Millvi
Racer

There was an interesting comment from Plato in this recent YouTube film:

https://youtu.be/J-j5yUlqf4c

Could there be a Giulia rolling out of the One Motorsport garage on media day!?!

A long shot but who knows what can happen next?
Old 7 Apr 2023, 14:52 (Ref:4150771)   #2214
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
There was an interesting comment from Plato in this recent YouTube film:

https://youtu.be/J-j5yUlqf4c

Could there be a Giulia rolling out of the One Motorsport garage on media day!?!

A long shot but who knows what can happen next?
3 and a half minutes in, “this would make a pretty good BTCC car platform”.

If the rumours of RWD being prohibited are true, they wouldn’t develop a car for only one year? They also seem pretty committed to the Honda’s with Dynamics’ support.

Believe HMS had a look at it before deciding on the Giulietta. Shame that never came back!
Old 7 Apr 2023, 16:28 (Ref:4150774)   #2215
Millvi
Racer

Quote:
3 and a half minutes in, “this would make a pretty good BTCC car platform”.

If the rumours of RWD being prohibited are true, they wouldn’t develop a car for only one year? They also seem pretty committed to the Honda’s with Dynamics’ support.

Believe HMS had a look at it before deciding on the Giulietta. Shame that never came back!
Motorbase were looking at the option to switch to an Audi or Jaguar for 2023, so why not a Giulia?
Old 7 Apr 2023, 16:44 (Ref:4150775)   #2216
Pickles
Veteran

Possibly again if the rumours of outlawing RWD are true? The Giulia was also considered as a replacement for the Infinitis.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 18:14 (Ref:4150785)   #2217
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Won’t they be using the Aiden Moffat hospitality, it went off for a rebrand over the winter
Old 7 Apr 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4150791)   #2218
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why would they ever outlaw RWD? It’s been allowed in the championship for decades.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4150794)   #2219
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why would they ever outlaw RWD? It’s been allowed in the championship for decades.
It probably won't be outlawed, but you might find it coincidental that nobody is running it in future...
Old 7 Apr 2023, 19:03 (Ref:4150795)   #2220
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Gow didn't want RWD in the first place, but the pressure from WSR caused him to relent. At the earliest opportunity, RWD will be gone and we can finally be rid of the debate about certain drivetrains having an advantage...
Old 7 Apr 2023, 19:06 (Ref:4150796)   #2221
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Presumably if there’s only one RWD model left it’s not worth the hassle of balancing it with FWD, or dealing with the arguments caused if that one car is dominant - can’t use the excuse that the Infinitis for example are also RWD and down the bottom end of the grid.

I think it’s a shame and the variety has always been nice, and often beneficial to the racing where RWD and FWD have advantages in different places.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 20:54 (Ref:4150804)   #2222
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yes dynamics also disappeared off the grid in 2001 and 2002 and most of 2003 and i dont remember the sky falling down then either

To be fair at those times Dynamics weren't a constructor nor multiple overall championship winning professional outfit in 01/02/03. They were a larger fish but not a huge fish unlike this time around.
Old 8 Apr 2023, 04:35 (Ref:4150811)   #2223
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor902 View Post
Interesting considering toyota don't offer a 2.0 turbo in any of its cars so would like to know where they've plucked that from.
There is a 2.0 turbo engine in the Lexus IS200T, the Toyota 8AR-FTS.

Quote:
I was led to believe that running a TCR car is more expensive than a BTCC car, but maybe that's a falsehood? Can anyone fact check me?
How is that possible?

Most of the TCRs use a standard road car engine, so about $7500 USD buys a complete motor. I guess it depends on what the service or replacement intervals are for the racing parts on the car like the transmission, control arms, dampers, brakes, fuel pump etc between the two classes.

Quote:
I guess the issue of the TCR cars is the build cost, do they cost more to build or require a different toolset build setup than what BTCC teams have?
As stated, they have a fixed cost. Repairing the cars is like repairing a road car. The TCR use either standard or very slightly reinforced road car subframes on the front end which bolt up under the standard road car chassis rails (whereas obviously NGTC used the fabricated front and rear subframes).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 8 Apr 2023 at 04:53.
Old 8 Apr 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4150818)   #2224
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don’t know why there is such a problem to balance RWD when history has shown in the past that a 25, 50kg weight penalty has been enough to balance this difference out.
Old 8 Apr 2023, 08:44 (Ref:4150819)   #2225
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't feel they need to do such drastic measures for RWD. Maybe a bit of a weight penalty is fine, but there's more to a car's strength than it's drivetrain