Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Nov 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2986398)   #301
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more rally cars - all courtesy of the Austin Rover Press Office...
Attached Thumbnails
BREAKDOWN-POND6.jpg   BREAKDOWN-STUART1.jpg   BREAKDOWN-STUART2.jpg  

BREAKDOWN-STUART3.jpg   CIRCUIT-MALKIN1.jpg   CIRCUIT-MALKIN2.jpg  

Old 14 Nov 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2986400)   #302
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
And finally, some more rally cars - phew I hear you sigh! - all courtesy of the Austin Rover Press Office...
Attached Thumbnails
MANX-POND5.jpg   WALKINHAW-RUSSEK1.jpg   WALKINSHAW-RUSSEK2.jpg  

WALKINSHAW-SILVA.jpg  
Old 14 Nov 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2986401)   #303
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Sorry, just realised some of the rally cars were missed - all courtesy of the Austin Rover Press Office as always!...
Attached Thumbnails
DUBAI-TEST.jpg   KEN-WOOD.jpg   MANX-POND1.jpg  

MANX-POND2.jpg   MANX-POND3.jpg   MANX-POND4.jpg  

Old 18 Nov 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2988281)   #304
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport View Post
And we have some of the rally cars - again, all courtesy of the Austin Rover Press Office...
Also interesting to see Bob Fowden's car in amongst the rally pics.
http://tentenths.com/forum/attachmen...9&d=1321307176

From vague memory, I think I've read somewhere that this may have been built up around a works-supplied shell- Did Fowden get any degree of support from Austin Rover?
IIRC, it started off as a homologated Group 2 car (he certainly appeared on the Welsh International at least once in it) before evolving into something more radical (I seem to remember it gaining a bodykit of wider arches, sideskirts and vents in the bonnet at some point?)
Old 24 Nov 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2990764)   #305
DPUZEY
Rookie

DPUZEY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Managed to catch 'Special Stage' on Motors TV yesterday evening, it was a report on the recent Regency Rally held at the Bath and West Showground. Duncan Holder made several appearances in his marathon spec SD1, A379VUK. http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/pict.../pictures.html
Old 3 Jan 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3006683)   #306
Chris B
Rookie

Chris B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
http://www.rallye-info.com/carspecs.asp?car=226

Some rally info on the Vitesse

Jesper
Hi, I only just found and read this thread. I am the guy who wrote the above link. And I am not here to plug my site, just introducing myself and wondering if you saw the link, if you also saw this bit, where it actually says more about the car: http://www.rallye-info.com/carmodel.asp?car=150

It is true that I am a huge fan of the SD1. It also is true, that there are likely mistakes in the link and am open for correction. At least I am aware that not all Rally Rovers were built at TWR. Otherwise you can guess now I am one of those who take more an interest in the rally cars than the race cars and therefore I want to pick up that quote from post 836, page 56:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport View Post

My view is therefore that the Bianchi entry is a newly built TWR rally car that had no previous touring car history, but possibly was allocated a TWR Chassis No from the sequence that you guys insist on baffling me with by quoting 005, 014, 009 all the time! Are there any numbers actually missing from the 1983 sequence of cars that could possibly be this car? Another point which you might not be aware about is that the later rally cars, ie A478 WOE to A480 WOE and B563 AOX to B565 AOX were actually built by Austin Rover Motorsport at Cowley instead of TWR at Kidlington. These cars therefore do not have a TWR Chassis No but an ARM Chassis No instead.
Indeed I have found so many quotes here giving TWR chassis numbers to Rally Rovers. Interestingly it is exactly those B*** AOX that are repeatedly identified with TWR chassis numbers here, and it is them that David states here as Austin Rover Motorsport built.

For me it seems at least clear, that not all Rally SD1 can be TWR built. I think from my previous research, that TWR initiated the project. But that would point to the earlier cars being TWR built, not the later ones. But even if reg plates have been swapped, there were quite a few cars at the same time and quite a few reg plates that kept appearing over a longer period of time, if all were TWR cars then about half the TWR built cars would have ended up as rally cars and not touring cars, and that clearly wasn’t the case!

Altogether I have 14 rally identifications (in order of registration date) and if I mate them with chassis number IDs here I come to following result:

GJW 548W (or 584W)
OOC 272X = Ken Wood
FJO 450Y = TWR 006
A377 VUK
A378 VUK
A379 VUK = TWR 006, rebuilt with TWR 015
A683 NJO
A684 NJO = TWR 006
A478 WOE
A479 WOE
A480 WOE
B563 AOX = TWR 009
B564 AOX = TWR 006
B565 AOX = TWR 003

Interesting maybe all the cars above were Birmingham registered except the three FJO/NJO, which were Oxford.

Oh, and did A378 VUK actually exist? I find close to nothing to that car, what it did etc.

Even if reg plate swapping did go on, which might well be, the 4 identities for chassis 006 have me bemused. Especially since the A379 VUK reg was only registered 3 months before A684 NJO, was still used when 684 was around, had it’s tree crash leading to the rebuilt much later and in fact still is registered today.

And once again, I would believe it is more the early cars that were TWR ones. For one for how the project was initiated, for the other Pond’s RAC entry and the ComputerVision cars, aka all the WOE & AOX, were very much works identified entries.

Also note that the SD1s A683 NJO & A684 NJO are the same badge of reg numbers as the very first MG Metro 6R4 prototypes A656 NJO – A658 NJO, hence most likely registered by the same people at roughly the same time.

I further found that the TWR stickers found on the cars are not necessarily an indication if the cars were TWR or ARM built and run.

Maybe someone has more or newer info to that, since not all cars were TWR built and since the info around chassis 006 seems a bit dodgy.

BTW superb thread, keep it up!

Chris
Old 3 Jan 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3006802)   #307
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching a You Tube video today called
1987 Circuit of Ireland, Day 1

I noticed a SD1 in it at about 6mins 40 secs. it is quite a long film so there may be other rover stuff too.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3006863)   #308
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
This one, around 6m55?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ma3SMROkw

According to the commentary 'Ulsterman Nigel Duff is enjoying the conditions as he pilots his big Rover through familiar territory'

It's not a name I'm familiar with- although my knowledge of privateer rally Rovers is pretty limited beyond the well-known names (Ken Wood, Bob Fowden, Mike Stuart, Dave Appleby, Russell Gooding, Gordon Smith etc)
Old 3 Jan 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3006884)   #309
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post

Altogether I have 14 rally identifications (in order of registration date) and if I mate them with chassis number IDs here I come to following result:

GJW 548W (or 584W)
OOC 272X = Ken Wood
FJO 450Y = TWR 006
A377 VUK
A378 VUK
A379 VUK = TWR 006, rebuilt with TWR 015
A683 NJO
A684 NJO = TWR 006
A478 WOE
A479 WOE
A480 WOE
B563 AOX = TWR 009
B564 AOX = TWR 006
B565 AOX = TWR 003
I think I'm just repeating stuff that's already been stated earlier in the thread, but a few thoughts- GJW584W and OOC272X I think are the same car- the original Unipart car debuted by Tony Pond at the 1982 Welsh Rallysprint, and later sold to Ken Wood.

There was undoubtedly some registration number swapping going on- if you look at the bodyshells, it's hard to believe that the A379VUK seen at the Donington rallysprint in late 1983, with fuel fillers mounted in the rear side window, and the exhaust cut through the rear panel above the bumper...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/estoril...24949/sizes/l/

is the same car that Walkinsahaw drove on the National Breakdown rally a few months later, which lacks any of these features...
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8...sd11vn8al3.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3...sd13ar6fs9.jpg

...only for them to reappear when Pond used it in the Middle East later in the year...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottbr...in/photostream
and when the car returned to the UK with Del Lines. There definitely seem to be two different cars here- a 'regular' Group A rallycar, and one prepared for rough endurance events, with long-range fuel tanks, the exhaust re-routed for better ground clearance etc
(Compare sister car A377VUK, as used by Philip Young on the 1985 Himalayan Rally
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanner...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanner...n/photostream/

A378VUK doesn't show up in any of the rally results or pics I've got, so maybe there were only two of these 'endurance-spec'/rallysprint cars built....? The registration number seems to be on a Morris Ital AA van...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevscla...rs/6140299696/
Old 18 Mar 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3044016)   #310
John Clayton
Rookie

John Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd really like to get in touch with the chap who has the username MG ROVER SPORT on this thread.

Plse could you email johnclayton27AThotmail.com?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3044150)   #311
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clayton View Post
I'd really like to get in touch with the chap who has the username MG ROVER SPORT on this thread.

Plse could you email johnclayton27AThotmail.com?
You could send him a private message on Tenths John?
Old 19 Mar 2012, 08:28 (Ref:3044438)   #312
John Clayton
Rookie

John Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did exactly that but I never heard back after numerous attempts over a few months. However, the messages don't appear in the SENT ITEMS of my TEN TENTHS account so I'm not convinced that they actually sent OK.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 11:34 (Ref:3044560)   #313
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
See pm's

cheers chunty
Old 20 May 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3076889)   #314
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
corliss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skips GrpA

Loughgall Rally Stages, 19 may 2012,

Car hadnt turned a wheel before arrival, still being finished 10PM night before, was supposed to be just on show, but various interested parties wanted it to run as officials car running number '0' !!!!
did 3 stages with only a minor fuel pressure problem, then true to it being built as a perfect GrpA car it broke the torque tube on stage 4, cant help being realistic heh?
Even though driver had never driven a Rover, not even a road car, still posted a time in top 10 of historics !!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 047.jpg   Picture 048.jpg   Picture 041.jpg  

Old 20 May 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3076909)   #315
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

That's great stuff Corliss, shame about the broken bit but it's clear all your hard work has produced a pretty effective beastie! Top one!

I reckon that car would make a decent circuit car as well judging by how low it sits???
Old 20 May 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3076943)   #316
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's great stuff Corliss, shame about the broken bit but it's clear all your hard work has produced a pretty effective beastie! Top one!

I reckon that car would make a decent circuit car as well judging by how low it sits???
Many thanks Chunterer,
Ride height issue was my fault, too used to setting up circuit cars and used Chromodora wheels and tyres as starting point (pic with silver wheels) and that was at 10PM night before rally, when on Speedline wheels and cut slicks it was too low, AND while i was away someone nameless ( THE DRIVER!!!!) had mounted the rear crossbeam without the correct spacers, which means that when rear suspension is at full deflection an area about 3ins from pivot point of torque tube hits bodyshell and stresses torque tube mount, and Breaks it!!!! a basic oversight and i suspect that even TWR didnt spot the possible area of the problem, hence factory car torque tube fractures, i can now correct that problem easily, also rear shocks ( ex works Magnesium Bilsteins, ex Ken Wood ) have seen their day, bounces like a yo-yo at speed,
But both Driver ( a very experienced Circuit of Ireland Driver ) and co- driver ( a Scotsman who sits beside some very big names ) had reported that the car has very good potential, exceptionally quick on fast parts, turns in well, but has crap brakes, and Getrag box is like stirring porridge, Brakes are my problem, trying to stick to period GrpA stuff AND meeting MOT rules for a mechanical handbrake, easy to cure, Engine is great, driver reports straights are NOT straights, car just fires through gears so quick, hits 5th in no time (maybe 335BHP????)
So all in all, for a first ever run, AND sticking religiously to GrpA specs, the car has surprised everybody, AND even though running as '0' was 8th fasted historic car, and quicker than some Modified,
Loads to do, but do i stick to GrpA to the letter? or put a better gerbox in but then not period GrpA
But i am more than happy at the response for turning up, comments like 'so nice to see a real car' and 'remind me of Tony Pond at Circuit of Ireland' and 'could hear the wail of a V8 all through forest'
So, car is going to be ready for something in the near future, will let you know when,
Good pic (copyrighted) see http://www.kgrallypics.com/loughgall-fom-1
Skip
Old 21 May 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3077493)   #317
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Quote:

Might look too low, but was a smooth tarmac event and some pics show more than enough ground clearance for that event, ( thats all really just an excuse for me not getting around to setting spring heights )

Picture taken by, and all credit to, KG Rally pics www.kgrallypics.com
Attached Thumbnails
Rover V8 (2).JPG  
Old 22 May 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3077577)   #318
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Skips GrpA

another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Rover V8 (1).JPG  
Old 22 May 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3077957)   #319
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Certainly is a fine looking car you've done there sir!

A real tribute to the car's heyday if you ask me.
Old 23 May 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3078459)   #320
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
Quote:
Certainly is a fine looking car you've done there sir!

A real tribute to the car's heyday if you ask me.

Thank You,,

2 more about to get started, on last 2 new shells, and as accurate to '84 spec GrpA, inc dashboard, instuments, switches etc etc as i can get ( working from pictures ) i just pray that someone somewhere appreciates them and buys one or two, absolutely perfect for the European guys and their 3-5 day regularity rallies, or the Barbados annual bash, something different, noisy, sideways, and to my mind a very pretty car, and boy are they quick!!!!
All this has meant that my restoration of the TWR Grp1 Sanyo car has been on hold for far far too long,,,,,

Skip
Old 23 May 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3078515)   #321
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah the G1 race car needs some renewed impetus then you can bring it over for some classic racing!
Old 26 Sep 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3141902)   #322
Hugh
Rookie

Hugh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an EX Works Rover V8 engine and Getrag 625 gearbox that I no longer need plus some other parts.

Ex Works Rover V8 4 Bolt main thick wall block

Ex works Getrag 625 5 speed Gearbox unused since rebuild by R&D motorsport

More picture here of these and other parts I have here :-

http://www.sol.co.uk/h/hugh/Sale/TR7...0V8%20-%206R4/

Cheers

Hugh
Old 25 Nov 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3171393)   #323
devilwoo
Rookie

devilwoo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello.

My first post on here, I have registered as I'm absolutely fascinated by this thread and registered so I can resurrect it and add some information of my own.

My friend owns A565AOX and it is currently sat with some other Works rally cars.

I'm have asked him to send me some photos of the old girl.

I'll keep you all posted.

All the best, Mike.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3171607)   #324
devilwoo
Rookie

devilwoo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B565AOX, was a touring car for the 1st 2 yrs and then converted to a rally car by TRW at Oxford. Still retains the unique 'camber adjustable' rear axle and special cast front hubs that were used in touring. Also the last surviving 2ltr TR7 Ex-Tony Pond.

Does anyone know or heard about the Fairy liquid upgrade? I know the story but does anyone else
Attached Thumbnails
102_0298.JPG.JPG   102_0292.JPG.JPG  
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3172131)   #325
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
I've not contributed much to this topic recently, but that photo you posted Mike excited me so much that I felt the need! Welcome to the forum by the way Mike.

I know who your friend is, and you must tell him that David Sims says HI! I'm the chap who found AOX for him by the way, and put him in touch with the seller all those years ago.

B565AOX really is looking stunning on that photo, and knowing what high quality his other cars are restored to, then I have no doubt that it too will be equally as stunning. Is that photo pretty much where it stands now, or has the rebuild progressed anymore since then?

Are you on Facebook, Mike?