Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 Feb 2004, 13:51 (Ref:886281)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scott Dixon and Formula 1 speculation/rumours

www.grandprix.com has posted two interesting articles. I'll let you read 'em "manually" rather than posting the text in here;

Dixon bound for Formula 1?

The rumours about Scott Dixon

Could he make it? I think he could, but I really don't see it happening (unless, of course, he was to be granted a F-1 test and managed to do real well).

Interesting story nontheless, and nothing like a bit of rumour-speculation to wet one's appetite
Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:20 (Ref:886314)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly for Scott, at this point I think it's wishful thinking on the part of people in his camp. We never seem to hear anything at all about Scott from people actually involved in F1, not even rumours. This story is the same - I mean, it started with some comments from his mother. There was also that story a couple of months ago from Mario Andretti saying he could make it in F1, but needed to get out of the IRL.

Maybe he has a decent shot at a test role? I don't think there's any chance at a race seat with a top 3/4 team in 2005, because they're all either taken or there are better options available. I think he's doing well where he is and would be best off staying in the US.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:27 (Ref:886317)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been rumors about Ganassi getting into F1 recently also, although he claims he's not interested. Who knows whats going on at Chips team? Could he start an F1 effort with Dixon as a driver? A long shot, yes, but America has been starving for an F1 effort for years now, and really, in the world of F1, stranger things have happened! If there is anyone in this country that can make it happen, its Ganassi.

As for Scott making the move to F1 on his own, I can only see him going to a top 4 team, or else why bother? Your a champion here, and your certainly not starving. Why go and become a back marker or mid-field runner over there?

The IRL would certainly miss him if he left though, he's been a very classy champ, and he is well liked in the series and by the fans.

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:37 (Ref:886326)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Speaking of Scott, there's an Autosport interview with him here. I don't think it's new, but I hadn't seen it before. Lots of the usual PR droning, and the usual safety worries but there's a few unexpected comments.

On Hornish:
Quote:
I think he'll struggle having to be a team player. You see that all the time. He and Helio don't like each other, and Sam is difficult enough to talk to anyway. He's a strange guy.
I remember reading an interview with Hornish that was posted here last year and thinking that he sounded a bit ... weird. He said things like he tried to avoid the other drivers, tried not to be friendly, etc. Unusual to hear a driver talk like that.

On road courses:
Quote:
I think it should be 50-50, but I think six road races is probably the highest you'll get out of them. That was the good thing about CART. They had a great mix and fans from all parts of racing. It was the most challenging series in the world at its peak. I don't see why you wouldn't go 50-50.
Not too surprising, I just think it's interesting to hear a driver want more than the 3/4 road courses we hear about.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:34 (Ref:886374)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since that Autosport interview with Dixon, they have also interviewed Helio Castroneves (available here), and he insists he doesn't have a problem with Hornish.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 16:57 (Ref:886452)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its probably alittle gamesmanship between Dixon and one of his main rivals, Hornish. Its Dixon trying to get into Hornish's head.

It's a good move by Dixon, as he will need to know how to play those head games, if he gets into the nasty world of F1!

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 17:30 (Ref:886478)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Listen to this:

Glennis Dixon, Scotts mom, told the Dominion Post, that Scott has a pretty good shot at an F1 seat in 05.

"Its up to the team to make the announcement, but there might be bits and pieces coming out in the near future"

Toyota, Williams, McLaren, and Ferrari are being mentioned.

Toyota and Williams, maybe, but Mac and Ferrari just isn't happening! Alot of talk for a guy who's never even tested in an F1 car, don't you think? Will all this talk, be a big distraction going into the new IRL season for Scott? Could be...

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 18:23 (Ref:886526)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
The articles at Grandprix.com (the second one at least) speculate more into the fact that Ganassi and Williams has had a solid collaboration in regards to driver exchange and driver talent, suggesting Ganassi would be able to measure Dixon and see if he might be something for Williams to look into.

What Scott's mother might have said in the past isn't part of their speculation at all.

Not to mention Dixon has visited several F-1 races and has met several F-1 team bosses, so it's not like he is a complete unknown in the world of F-1. Just a matter of finding out if he has got "the right stuff".

I almost wonder if anyone in this thread has taken the time to actually read the GrandPrix.com articles (the second one in particular)
Old 26 Feb 2004, 19:21 (Ref:886588)   #9
Testure
Veteran

Yeah, I read both stories before you posted them here in fact The Ganassi/Williams links have been discussed before in relation to Dixon's F1 ambitions. The current speculation, however, was indeed prompted by the comments made by his mother.

I hadn't thought about this being a distraction for Dixon. I'm betting it won't make any difference to him, though, since we've been hearing the same speculation since the first day he began racing in the IRL. In fact, he even visited an F1 race or two last year, and that didn't seem to affect his IRL campaign too much.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 21:39 (Ref:886747)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Re: Scott Dixon and Formula 1 speculation/rumours

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
www.grandprix.com has posted two interesting articles. I'll let you read 'em "manually" rather than posting the text in here;
Maybe if you weren't so lazy rustyfan, and you posted the text for us to read, we would have read them!

Just kidding, I always read the links before posting, but as usual, we tend to drift off on tangents that don't always relate to the thread.

Personally, I think visiting teams and attending GP's is far different than actually driving an F1 car, which Dixon hasn't done. If there depending on Ganassi to sign off on Dixon, what will he use as a reference?

Hell, if they like Dixon so much, without even having seen him drive, then why not give Hornish a shot too, while there at it? Imagine what a splash he could make?
Old 27 Feb 2004, 08:20 (Ref:887044)   #11
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Scott Dixon and Formula 1 speculation/rumours

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Maybe if you weren't so lazy rustyfan, and you posted the text for us to read, we would have read them!

Just kidding, I always read the links before posting, but as usual, we tend to drift off on tangents that don't always relate to the thread.

Personally, I think visiting teams and attending GP's is far different than actually driving an F1 car, which Dixon hasn't done. If there depending on Ganassi to sign off on Dixon, what will he use as a reference?

Hell, if they like Dixon so much, without even having seen him drive, then why not give Hornish a shot too, while there at it? Imagine what a splash he could make?
Hasn't Hornish previously expressed a desire to only ever drive on ovals for the rest of his career?
Old 27 Feb 2004, 14:31 (Ref:887382)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
You could be right tanalised, but I guess my point is, everyone is so hot to see Dixon go to F1, but what real expierience does he bring to F1 that a guy like Hornish doesn't?

Hornish was just an example, but you could say the same about Castroneves, Kannan, Scheckter.

I just don't see why Dixon is so highly touted to go there.

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Feb 2004, 15:09 (Ref:887412)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott Dixon was quoted by the Indy Star this morning as saying that his mother was the possible source of this rumor, and that he needs to talk with her "since she seems to know something that I know nothing about..."

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 Feb 2004, 17:06 (Ref:887508)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Scott Dixon was quoted by the Indy Star this morning as saying that his mother was the possible source of this rumor, and that he needs to talk with her "since she seems to know something that I know nothing about..."

Ahhh, mothers, you got to love em! She's probably got a nice girl for Scott too!
Old 27 Feb 2004, 18:10 (Ref:887566)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and I'll bet that the "nice girl" she picked out for him is not even close to Scott's personal prefeences in women!!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 07:06 (Ref:888011)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I just don't see why Dixon is so highly touted to go there.
I agree 100%. It all started because way back when he said he wanted to go to F1. That's about the substance of it.

As you say, why not Hornish? Drop a money bag at his door and he might consider F1. Sponsors would like him better for the American market, because he's actually American and some people actually know who he is. I'm convinced he's a better driver too.

Now the real truth: MS will probably retire after 2004. He'll need a replacement. Dixon is CLEARLY the guy for the job! Few other canidates have proven as little as Dixon, so he's a shoe in. You think 6 WDC is impressive? Pfft! Dixon is touted to win 7 and since unlike MS he actually knows how to drive, he'll put them together consequtively.

Last edited by Snrub; 28 Feb 2004 at 07:08.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 15:56 (Ref:888271)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Snrub, the only Ferrari Dixon will ever get a chance to drive, in a race, is a vintage Ferrari, in a vintage race!

I say Hornish would make a much larger splash going to the workd of F1, than Dixon ever would. Its been a very long time since an American was a threat in F1, and Hornish could be that threat. In marketing terms, he would be huge also. He's pretty well known internationally. So well known and respected, that he could be the catalyst for a second American GP, preferrably in NYC!

For Hornish, I'd like him to stay in the IRL or go F1, just stay away from NASCAR Sam! God, losing him to NASCAR would be a killer!

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:45 (Ref:888454)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske's got enough money to keep Sam interested. Besides, he seems to be one of the few drivers that will do what they want rather than following around a paycheck. I find that pretty surprising given the fact that these guys should theoretically love what they do and not worry if its for $5M instead of $4M.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:53 (Ref:888464)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sam won't go to NASCAR, not full time anyways. He does have an interest in racing there, but not the full schedule. He's said 36 races is too much. Maybe next year he'll cherry pick some races in a Penske?

But, he will always be in the IndyCar Series, even if it's just the Indy 500. He loves it too much to stop racing there