Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Apr 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3897757)   #526
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would guess the trucks were probably leased or hired. So that is not a huge cost in real terms out of a budget.

What was unsustainable was the jump from a converted coach or bus, to that i such a short amount of time.

I said all along IMG didnt give a toss about legacy or the future, just making quick money now.

WRX is a toy for them, the people running it and the spokespeople seem to last a few years before moving on, they have much bigger fish to fry and represent thousands of people and series.

One of the biggest issues I have, is that the people running the sport at the time were long time fans, journos and organisers and they just also took the money and ran and did not seem to have a say or try to say anything to prevent IMG from juts running away with it, there were no reins
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:50 (Ref:3897791)   #527
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think they have done a good job. They helped lease teams the equipment. Maybe though they should have kept the costs down

IMG have done a good job with the series and WRX has been a good investment. It’s certainly different

Maybe they should have left the ERX how it is, as that is a big problem. But it will recover
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:31 (Ref:3897820)   #528
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think for a new series it did well. They had a good structure in place. Costs needed to be kept down though

You have to give them credit for getting the interest in. They certainly achieved that goal

Now though ERX needs to be looked at. It’s still great, but must return to it’s former glory
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:45 (Ref:3897896)   #529
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There really ain't enough cars or drivers to fill 2 decent championships, that's the problem...
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3897899)   #530
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
One of the biggest issues I have, is that the people running the sport at the time were long time fans, journos and organisers and they just also took the money and ran and did not seem to have a say or try to say anything to prevent IMG from juts running away with it, there were no reins
"Fans and journos" did not run the sport...
Fans pay, journos get paid... organisers run the sport.
In every period of the sport some people make money from rallycross.

Only fans stay & pay
Old 16 Apr 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3897924)   #531
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All that happened was exactly the same as happened with darts. A good little sport with a small fanbase, it just had marketing money and tv thrown at it.

We ALL knew that was all that was needed to make it bigger than it was, it had never really had that.

Trouble with IMG is that they were not fans, they are about pforit, nothing more, so they did thigs real fans of the sport would perhaps think about.

It was sold, packaged, tracks removed, prices hiked, private teams that had been there decades dumped into a nothing series, support events not on tv.

these are all woeful decisions, and it has bitten them hard, and it's hilarious.

They ran before they could walk, and my point was, at the centre of it were people that had been involved for a very long time who just sat there, took the money and the glory.

Of course there are benefits, foolish to think not.

Are the tracks better? No, the drives were better, they are the same again now as it was before. The image is better. The marketing is better. Is the series better? I would hedge my bets to be honest. Do we really need a world series? no, because no one else really cares about RX like Europe.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3897935)   #532
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ekstrom at the start in Spa Francorchamps driving a JC Raceteknik car alongside Enzo Ide...
Did Ide not have two S1's from is own?
Old 16 Apr 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3897936)   #533
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
Ekstrom at the start in Spa Francorchamps driving a JC Raceteknik car alongside Enzo Ide...
Did Ide not have two S1's from is own?
JC has two cars but one of them has been rebuilt for Öhman, leaving only "Larsson's" Audi. But yeah, I think Comtoyou has two from 2016.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3897994)   #534
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting video from Bakkerud yesterday where he basically explained that he was signing with EKS (not named as RX Cartel) and suggests that he’s put a lot of his own cash in it for a change. Video was obviously recorded before Abu Dhabi but even then he said that they hadn’t worked out how to find the whole season.

25 grand entry fee as well, don’t know how that compares with other series?

Also interesting that Ekstrom is back for an event but racing for a different team to his own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 Apr 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3898032)   #535
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder what prompted that decision. Obviously I could see him fancying a change. But it is quite costly in this series
Old 19 Apr 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3898604)   #536
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting figures regarding people working at Peugeot with rallycross last year vs Team Hansen now. This is according to Kevin Hansen.

Team Hansen: 12, including the Hansens.

Peugeot: Over a 100.

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artike...k_XDko9VhGe39Q
Old 20 Apr 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3898733)   #537
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone have any insight into RX2 numbers this year? It's a week away from round 1 in Barcelona and no news at all from any driver. I strongly suspect this is because entry numbers are disappointing. Hope I'm wrong. With 18 entries last year these were actually pretty watchable.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 10:34 (Ref:3898737)   #538
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Anyone have any insight into RX2 numbers this year? It's a week away from round 1 in Barcelona and no news at all from any driver. I strongly suspect this is because entry numbers are disappointing. Hope I'm wrong. With 18 entries last year these were actually pretty watchable.
So far 13 drivers (just check Wikipedia as it's completely up to date in WRX, ARX and EuroRX). This includes those who finished 1st and 3rd through 7th last year, with 2nd place now in WRX. No official entry list released yet.

Also 25 S1600 is a good showing in Barcelona.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3898757)   #539
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
So far 13 drivers (just check Wikipedia as it's completely up to date in WRX, ARX and EuroRX). This includes those who finished 1st and 3rd through 7th last year, with 2nd place now in WRX. No official entry list released yet.

Also 25 S1600 is a good showing in Barcelona.
Ok thank you. Hopefully a few more to come. Good to have at least ,15

I feel that they shouldn't have capped S1600 at 25 entries. You'd get at least 30 at most events. Shame. Once you start turning people away they lose interest.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3898758)   #540
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Ok thank you. Hopefully a few more to come. Good to have at least ,15

I feel that they shouldn't have capped S1600 at 25 entries. You'd get at least 30 at most events. Shame. Once you start turning people away they lose interest.

You're right! They shouldn't have capped any of the classes entries. Rallycross has never been in a situation in which they could afford that for a full season except for a few rounds now and then. The best example is this year where they struggle to fit the big boys that have left the scene.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3899133)   #541
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
In fairness to IMG (WTF am I saying) this is probably contractual and drawn up years ago when things were better!
Old 27 Apr 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3900070)   #542
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a dominant show the Hansens put on today - fast times and good racecraft.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3900546)   #543
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
What a dominant show the Hansens put on today - fast times and good racecraft.
A worrying trend for the rest of the season, given how Timmy dominated Abu Dhabi until Andreas punted him.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3900559)   #544
S griffin
Veteran

Well yes, it seems he has all the ingredients to dominate. He has a lot going for him and only that incident prevented an Abu Dhabi win
Old 30 Apr 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3900647)   #545
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's early days, but I am a little concerned by the result in Barcelona. I hope that the rest of the field can find a bit more speed, or the Hansen could brothers could run away with things.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3900764)   #546
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, agreed. Struggling to engage with the sport this year. Hansens VS Bakkerud is probably how this will play out. Fun to see Gronholm find his speed, though.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
Old 30 Apr 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3900777)   #547
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be honest they are running factory spec cars against a bunch of second rate amateurs so I would expect these results.

The track was terrible the dirt was blue with tyre rubber, this track is ONLY any good when it's wet. That is not dirt it is the type of tarmac based gravel Lydden put down, basically means you do little maintenance, and don't have to water it, but it is about as much like gravel as snow is
Old 30 Apr 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3900778)   #548
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhuette View Post
Yes, agreed. Struggling to engage with the sport this year. Hansens VS Bakkerud is probably how this will play out. Fun to see Gronholm find his speed, though.
I am rooting for Gronholm. I thought GRX did superbly last year given the competition and I'd like to see them score some podiums (if not the title) this year.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3900837)   #549
S griffin
Veteran

It depends how much speed he shows. The teams are what makes or breaks a driver this season
Old 1 May 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3901009)   #550
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
RX Cartel ate factory cars, the Meganes are also as good as a factory outfit. And it’s not like the i20 is short of development either.

Remarkable to hear that Hansen are a team of 12 this year, compared to around 50 last season. I actually believe that’s positive for the championship.

Shame that Bennett appears to have built his suspension out of fudge, that Mini sounds good and has shown some reasonable pace (not enough for finals, but good enough for a semi .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk