Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Oct 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3936195)   #5326
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike, I think you are referring to the Type 45. The Type 46 "Spitfire Class" is apparently not due on the blocks until 2030!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:04 (Ref:3936196)   #5327
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Mike, I think you are referring to the Type 45. The Type 46 "Spitfire Class" is apparently not due on the blocks until 2030!

Yes, indeed.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3936202)   #5328
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Page 356! Pre A, C or Speedster.......
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3936203)   #5329
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
And nobody pointed out this good one! Unfair but funny…
No worry at all Bob, as previously said I always admired Nelson very much. May be in todays's words we could say a fookin' smart ass! Few respect for the establishment but a courageous winner. Isn't this combined with Trafalgar "square" a little bit funny too? Cheers to Nelson!
Thank you Gerry M, I'm glad that someone understood my comment. (It was clearly too clever for my fellow countrymen!)
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3936204)   #5330
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Will they be the first All Electric boats?
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3936208)   #5331
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Type 45 Destroyer - i am told are now performing as planned. Only took about 10 years. Further substantial upgrades to power system planned for first refit to give “growth potential”.
The air defence system is very good.
Type 26 anti - submarine Frigate. Due to be accepted from builders in 2025; operational 2027. Replacement for Type 23 which are already old. I served in one in 1996!
Type 31 - a general purpose Frigate. Supposed to be cheaper than T26 but less capability. Designed for export sales (yeah, right!). First of class Due in service in 2023 (an absolute joke)
Dont know of a Type 46, but the Type 45 replacement (Type 4X ) is already in early stages of being thought of.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3936211)   #5332
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Will they be the first All Electric boats?
Conventional submarines have been electric for many, many years!
Well, hybrid, i suppose to be fair.
Type 23 Frigates are also hybrid diesel-electric ( with gas turbines for high speed, but no batteries) and the Type 45 are gas turbine - electric, with a very advanced (er, crap) recirculating gas system, hence the reliability problems and hence unplanned reliance on auxiliary diesels for power).

The advanced gas turbine design in the Type45 was so advanced, complex and expensive that the USA decided they could no longer afford to be part of the programme!!!!!!!

Last edited by andy97; 22 Oct 2019 at 09:46.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3936213)   #5333
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Thank you Gerry M, I'm glad that someone understood my comment. (It was clearly too clever for my fellow countrymen!)
It was such a hoary old joke Viv, it did not warrant comment, however, I did get the humour.

Gerry Mo, you have probably realised that Viva is sensitive about his sense of humour, which is always relevant to the subject in hand. I do admire his wit. (if nothing else)
Old 22 Oct 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3936216)   #5334
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
It was such a hoary old joke Viv, it did not warrant comment, however, I did get the humour.

Gerry Mo, you have probably realised that Viva is sensitive about his sense of humour, which is always relevant to the subject in hand. I do admire his wit. (if nothing else)
Wow Baub, that's almost a compliment! Thank you.
(You never know your luck, you might even now qualify for a few of my missus Mice Pies for Christmas now!)
Old 22 Oct 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3936217)   #5335
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mice Pies???
Would that be minced mice?
Old 22 Oct 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3936219)   #5336
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Mice Pies???
Would that be minced mice?
Damn! I was so shocked to receive kindness from Baub I got 'Nice' & 'Mince' mixed up in my typing!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3936222)   #5337
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Conventional submarines have been electric for many, many years!
Well, hybrid, i suppose to be fair.
Type 23 Frigates are also hybrid diesel-electric ( with gas turbines for high speed, but no batteries) and the Type 45 are gas turbine - electric, with a very advanced (er, crap) recirculating gas system, hence the reliability problems and hence unplanned reliance on auxiliary diesels for power).

The advanced gas turbine design in the Type45 was so advanced, complex and expensive that the USA decided they could no longer afford to be part of the programme!!!!!!!
Will need to be All Electric Andy.

No Gas Turbines allowed.

Wind Turbines maybe?

Solar panels?

Maybe some sort of Seawater based fuel cell?

Or perhaps this chap, being ex-Navy, will influence the design?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arging-it.html
Old 22 Oct 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3936227)   #5338
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Mice Pies??? Would that be minced mice?
You all are in great shape I must admit! Mice pie just after Zmakinen, lets wait for Andy to have his keyboard fixed, seems the R is missing!!!
Chris you must remember the French name is "Tarte fine aux pommes". You could add some blanc d'oeuf as a topping, becoming meringuée. Tasteful on a lemon pie too. Miam… Slurp in English!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3936230)   #5339
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Will need to be All Electric Andy.

No Gas Turbines allowed.

Wind Turbines maybe?

Solar panels?

Maybe some sort of Seawater based fuel cell?

Or perhaps this chap, being ex-Navy, will influence the design?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arging-it.html
Be interesting to see what happens with his batteries and what independent tests reveal. For ships, we will just have to go back to square rigs and Nelsons tactics!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 11:53 (Ref:3936231)   #5340
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
You all are in great shape I must admit! Mice pie just after Zmakinen, lets wait for Andy to have his keyboard fixed, seems the R is missing!!!
Not the “r” Gerard, just my fingers being incapable of capital letters on an iphone seemingly! Should obviously have been Makinen!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3936235)   #5341
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You mean R Makinen? Zastava works pilot then…
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3936237)   #5342
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
For ships, we will just have to go back to square rigs and Nelsons tactics!
Vive Nelson! Bring back the sails! Another "coup de Trafalgar" please!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3936239)   #5343
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
You mean R Makinen? Zastava works pilot then…
Timo. Ex works BMC mini and Austin Healey 3000 driver. Won the 1969 Round Britain powerboat race apparently.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3936242)   #5344
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Be interesting to see what happens with his batteries and what independent tests reveal. For ships, we will just have to go back to square rigs and Nelsons tactics!
Indeed.

Some years ago in a pub garden in deepest Sussex I witnessed a demonstration of some fire resistant - actually "proof" would be a better word - chemical that a painter and decorator had invented.

It was something to do with the residue of a coal power station, apparently, plus some chemicals that, after years of trial and error he had combined in such a way that it was impervious to fire and heat.

Only he and his lawyer knew the formula and for some reason he was not about to let on what it was.

I have a few photos. Newspaper, when treated, would not burn. Hands, covered in a gel of the compound and with a gas torch played on them felt no heat other then a slight warming after over a minute as the gel started to drip off.

It was remarkable. I have no idea what happened to his work after that. He wanted a deal that was good enough to support his family for life. Potential investors were not interested unless they could test (and therefore analyse) the compound to make sure he was not simply employing known fire resistant chemicals. At the time it was simply an impasse.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a video on YouTube demonstrating a material that seems to have exactly the same sort of properties. It has, apparently, been around for a while although it was not something I remember hearing about previously. And American rather than British.

A strange co-incidence?

Given its properties one wonders why we still have problems with fire in unwanted places.

The usual problem with all inventions that seem to be simple enough for a one man band to dream up is that even if they genuinely do work at the experimental level (and there are plenty of scams around that are just not what they seem to be) they don't scale up to something that would have a real purpose or they simply don't work economically.

The other option is that they are too sensitive in a military sense and must be kept a closely guarded secret or, perhaps, hidden away never to be seen again.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the revolutionary 'battery' - or fuel cell, or whatever it is.

ETA interesting link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOoDE9rj6w

Last edited by grantp; 22 Oct 2019 at 12:57.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3936243)   #5345
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Timo. Ex works BMC mini and Austin Healey 3000 driver. Won the 1969 Round Britain powerboat race apparently.
Are you sure it wasn't Timo Manikin the famous rallying cigar manufacturer?
Old 22 Oct 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3936244)   #5346
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasn't that Carlos Fandango?
Old 22 Oct 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3936246)   #5347
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Are you sure it wasn't Timo Manikin the famous rallying cigar manufacturer?
Maybe but probably a DNF due to a smoky engine!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3936253)   #5348
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

No, he lost his car.

Something to do with chocolates?
Old 22 Oct 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3936254)   #5349
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe but probably a DNF due to a smoky engine!
What was the Cubanic capacity of the smokey engine?
Old 22 Oct 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3936255)   #5350
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
A careless fandango can cost lives.