Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Jan 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1827132)   #1
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al Unser Jr arrested

This time it's for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of an accident.

Story here on Reuters

Last edited by Suze; 27 Jan 2007 at 13:33.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1827140)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad! I thought he had a handle on his drinking.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 Jan 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1827143)   #3
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oops Al. Bad enough on the DUI but then take-off? Hope nobody was injured.

11 am huh? "What goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas" not always.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1827183)   #4
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad end to an otherwise great career
Old 27 Jan 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1827235)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al was one of my favourite CART drivers, a shame that these things happen.

Speaking of Al what happened to his son? I know he did a few Champ Car Atlantic races last year but had to pull out due to money?
Old 27 Jan 2007, 21:12 (Ref:1827406)   #6
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
was wonder where this thread would sprout.
is lil all still in the irl?

hope he can get it back together.
maybe a year or two sharing a bunk with bubba would help.

of course, hes rich and famous, so itll no doubt be, rehab and probie.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1827444)   #7
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he's had the maximum probation, I hope so. I think a stint off street might be good. Jr seems to have deteriorated even more than before.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 22:55 (Ref:1827481)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very silly and very sad to hear.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 01:05 (Ref:1829128)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Nice. So when you have a disease, and alcoholism is one, then the best way to "cure" it is to send someone to prison? Can't wait for the first prison for Cancer patients to be built.

The nature of an addiction is that you lose your ability to make rational decisions. Al - or anyone afflicted with such a thing - deserves our compassion, not our scorn.

If in the course of his addiction he (or anyone) breaks a law than they should be punished for that, but the focus should be on fighting the addiction. Breaking that cycle is the only way to prevent future "falls." A member of our church wrote, anonymously, his story (he is an alcoholic). Until he was able to control his addiction he fought, cheated, did jail time, walked out on his responsibilities and his friends/family. It took him years to control this. At no time while reading it was I thinking: "What this guy needs is a year with Bubba."

I admire his courage. I admire his decision to make things work. I admire that despite repeated failures, he never quit.

Give Al Unser Jr a break.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 01:19 (Ref:1829132)   #10
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junior's had plenty of breaks, way more than an average citizen in this country would get:
•Abandons a daughter with a crippling and debilitating disease (and although not a crime, certainly an indicator of personal ethics and character)...
•Hits then shoves his stripper girlfriend out of a car on the highway in Indianapolis, later to be arrested intoxicated...
•Apparently fails drug tests at his racing teams...
•Went to rehab at least once publicly and declared himself on TV, after a couple weeks at a clinic to be a "happy alcoholic" now "cured" of his addiction...
•Now hits and runs after drinking and driving...
Come on, it's time for him to quit hiding behind his alleged disease and take accountability for his miscreant actions these many years running.
I don't care how "sick" he might be, he's a criminal, plain and simple and he needs to be held to his deeds.
He was great once, now he's simply criminal trash and needs to go away. He's a danger to more than himself.
Yet another break could cost someone their life. And then he'd be up for murder.

Last edited by Davhut; 30 Jan 2007 at 01:26.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 01:22 (Ref:1829134)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Nice. So when you have a disease, and alcoholism is one, then the best way to "cure" it is to send someone to prison? Can't wait for the first prison for Cancer patients to be built.

The nature of an addiction is that you lose your ability to make rational decisions. Al - or anyone afflicted with such a thing - deserves our compassion, not our scorn.

If in the course of his addiction he (or anyone) breaks a law than they should be punished for that, but the focus should be on fighting the addiction. Breaking that cycle is the only way to prevent future "falls." A member of our church wrote, anonymously, his story (he is an alcoholic). Until he was able to control his addiction he fought, cheated, did jail time, walked out on his responsibilities and his friends/family. It took him years to control this. At no time while reading it was I thinking: "What this guy needs is a year with Bubba."

I admire his courage. I admire his decision to make things work. I admire that despite repeated failures, he never quit.

Splitting hairs maybe, but you seem to contradict yourself. Is it a disease, or an addiction? Personally, I have dealt with the issue, as I have close family members that are alcoholics. I find it to be an addiction. But that's just me. Agree with what you said regarding prison. Treatment is good, but confinement at a treatment facility may be the option if repeated offenses have occurred.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 01:39 (Ref:1829140)   #12
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

sorry dude, but people like you are the reason we have so many drunk driving deaths year.
maybe if some loaded up rich guy runs over one of your family, youll change your mind.
or maybe not, maybe you just pray for the 'victim' who cant control his drinking.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 05:08 (Ref:1829181)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ok we are on shaky ground here guys.

I think I will close the thread before it gets out of control.

Its a Shame Little Al has fallen again but im sure we all hope the best for him and he gets the help he needs.

All the best Al Jnr