Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Feb 2020, 12:35 (Ref:3959000)   #526
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I wonder when the "Wet Wood Police" will be around to arrest me

It seems that they want to ban " Wet Wood " , from being burned because it emits pollution . So how will Drax get on .The biggest single power station in the UK , claimed to be renewable energy generation & low emissions because it burns wood which is mostly cut down in N America , then shipped across the Atlantic & across the UK .

I guess they will probably just claim the wood is stored for over a year so is classed as dry wood .
Old 21 Feb 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3959023)   #527
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
How much wet wood can you get in the back of a Farnham estate?

The Alan Mann Zodiac will no doubt appear in Chichester one day, it was a bronze/gold colour. I have a colour photo of it somewhere on my PC
Seems it was a rally car before Ford loaned it to Alan Mann for the '63 British GP-supporting saloon car race, considered to be the most important of the year. Mann himself drove it to a 3-litre class win after a long battle with John Coundley's Mercedes. Evidently the Zodiac's advantage was that it could take the old Woodcote flat out, unlike the Merc.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 15:04 (Ref:3959031)   #528
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Seems it was a rally car before Ford loaned it to Alan Mann for the '63 British GP-supporting saloon car race, considered to be the most important of the year. Mann himself drove it to a 3-litre class win after a long battle with John Coundley's Mercedes. Evidently the Zodiac's advantage was that it could take the old Woodcote flat out, unlike the Merc.
No idea of what model Merc but would imagine swing-arm IRS? At least Zodiac was more sophisticated than that.....

If we’re talking MK4, that is.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 21 Feb 2020 at 15:09.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3959032)   #529
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No idea of what model Merc but would imagine swing-arm IRS? At least Zodiac was more sophisticated than that.....
I gleaned the info from Tony Dron's excellent book. Alan Mann just speaks of John Coundley's Mercedes, but it is in the background in a picture & appears to be a fintail.

No, Mk3 Zodiac.

Last edited by John Elwin; 21 Feb 2020 at 15:11. Reason: Added info
Old 21 Feb 2020, 15:12 (Ref:3959033)   #530
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I gleaned the info from Tony Dron's excellent book. Alan Mann just speaks of John Coundley's Mercedes, but it is in the background in a picture & appears to be a fintail.

No, Mk3 Zodiac.
Pretty sure swing-arm IRS then, with all the scary camber changes! No match for a simple live axle on track....
Old 21 Feb 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3959034)   #531
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If we’re talking MK4, that is.
I found the results from that race (1963 British GP Support) and it lists the Coundley Merc as a 220SE entered by R.E.C. Parkes. It also shows Alan Mann (winning the class by 1.8secs) driving a Zodiac Mk111 entered by Alan Andrews Racing

Results and report:

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...tone%20GP.html
Old 21 Feb 2020, 16:27 (Ref:3959048)   #532
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
It seems that they want to ban " Wet Wood " , from being burned because it emits pollution . So how will Drax get on .The biggest single power station in the UK , claimed to be renewable energy generation & low emissions because it burns wood which is mostly cut down in N America , then shipped across the Atlantic & across the UK .

I guess they will probably just claim the wood is stored for over a year so is classed as dry wood .
My old man RIP had coal and wood fires up until the day he died, I suppose that if he hadn't used that "terrible" stuff he would still be alive today as he only lived to 101
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Feb 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3959054)   #533
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Pretty sure swing-arm IRS then, with all the scary camber changes!
Are you talking about what we called "essieu brisé", one part being bigger than the other? With hydraulic compensator? Yes, schpatezial…
Old 21 Feb 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3959068)   #534
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My old man RIP had coal and wood fires up until the day he died, I suppose that if he hadn't used that "terrible" stuff he would still be alive today as he only lived to 101
I remember when we moved to London in the sixties there would be the chimney gestapo from the council monitoring smoke emissions from homes. We had a coal fire and coal boiler as we had a free-ish supply of coal and coke, the latter was a real pain as it would spit red hot cinders across the living room and burn holes in the carpet. Even the dog who was laying in front of the fire one night started smouldering after hot ash landed in his coat.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3959070)   #535
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I remember when we moved to London in the sixties there would be the chimney gestapo from the council monitoring smoke emissions from homes. We had a coal fire and coal boiler as we had a free-ish supply of coal and coke, the latter was a real pain as it would spit red hot cinders across the living room and burn holes in the carpet. Even the dog who was laying in front of the fire one night started smouldering after hot ash landed in his coat.
In best Yorkshire accent.... "You were lucky.... who would have thought we would all be sat here drinking Chateau de Chasselet..... tell that to the young people of today."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2rhsdo8eeQ
Old 21 Feb 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3959073)   #536
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
One of our cats used to lay right by the cinder tray and you could sometimes smell burning fur ! however it never seemed to bother her and she lived to a great age
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Feb 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3959082)   #537
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
One of our cats used to lay right by the cinder tray and you could sometimes smell burning fur ! however it never seemed to bother her and she lived to a great age

Whilst not in the same league as previous stories I have ducted heating in my house, through vents in the floor. One of my cats, wherever she is indoors or out, if she hears the boiler fire up within 30 seconds she is sprawled across the duct in the lounge. She has worked out that this particular vent, being nearest to the boiler and fan produces the most heat. To stop this I put like a mesh border around the duct, but she just takes that as being her territory and wedges herself in. As far as she is concerned I can sit there under a blanket whilst she gets the benefit of the heating duct! I ended up having to put a bowl of water next to the duct so she doesnt get dehydrated!
Old 21 Feb 2020, 18:19 (Ref:3959086)   #538
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well done to your father for lasting that long .
I guess not many people do that well . Especially as we have been told , [ for the last 50 years ] , that the world in going to end in 10 years unless we give them all of our money to stop pollution / global warming / climate change or whatever new scam they come up with .

But it does annoy me that they demand we change to electric home heating , at 4 times the cost , when the electric is generated by , [ quick count up ], 20 power stations burning wood , [ biomass] & 70 odd burning coal / oil / gas .
Old 21 Feb 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3959087)   #539
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And then Tim invented the hot dog! Thanks for this!!!
Old 21 Feb 2020, 20:33 (Ref:3959113)   #540
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wonder when the "Wet Wood Police" will be around to arrest me
Well it'll keep the detection figures up, so they don't have to worry about investigating burglaries and muggings. Much easier to arrest the law abiding person who sells the wrong wood than worry about looking for people who actually do harm in the country.

Of course that's if they have time away from recording "non crime hate incidents". It's now illegal not to commit a crime it appears.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Feb 2020, 20:46 (Ref:3959116)   #541
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the "Wet Wood" thing. Simply look around your local area for "fly tippped" sofas, mattresses etc. Collect them together, then find someone who collects contaminated diesel/petrol from missfuelling errors. Soak the former with the latter, chuck in a flaming Swan Vesta, pile up a few wet logs nearby to feel the warmth and - hey you're doing your bit for the environment...
Old 22 Feb 2020, 07:27 (Ref:3959167)   #542
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

The Alan Mann Zodiac will no doubt appear in Chichester one day, it was a bronze/gold colour. I have a colour photo of it somewhere on my PC
Would love to see that picture Zef, if you ever happen to come across it.
Old 22 Feb 2020, 11:34 (Ref:3959195)   #543
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those interested in Gilbern cars, and I believe there are few here, the Feb edition of MOG Magazine has a nice article on the history of the marque. Very informative for people like me who knew very little about the brand.

I expect you already have a copy Mike!
Old 22 Feb 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3959201)   #544
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
For those interested in Gilbern cars, and I believe there are few here, the Feb edition of MOG Magazine has a nice article on the history of the marque. Very informative for people like me who knew very little about the brand.

Actually I don’t ! Interesting that a Morgan magazine has written about them.....
Old 22 Feb 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3959221)   #545
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Bob, did it mention anything about the last, unfinished prototype? It was bought by an interesting character from Deal who finished it off then drove it across to the Arras classic car show a few years ago. It was his first-ever trip abroad so I thought it was quite a brave thing to do!
Old 22 Feb 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3959228)   #546
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:

But it does annoy me that they demand we change to electric home heating , at 4 times the cost , when the electric is generated by , [ quick count up ], 20 power stations burning wood , [ biomass] & 70 odd burning coal / oil / gas .
I decided a couple of years back that my 1947 solid fuel Rayburn with a back boiler was getting expensive to run on smokeless coal and of course you have to rake out the ash and make it up a couple of times a day.
As we already had pipework and rads fitted I decided to go "green" and had a state of the art electric thermal storage unit fitted for heating and domestic hot water as there is no mains gas in our area and it meant having a propane or oil tank fitted.
We are prone out in the sticks to a lot of fuel oil thieving and I didn't like the idea of a propane boiler so went electric.
Yes it is bloody expensive if you have it going full blast but works well with absolutely no maintenance at all but I only have it set at about 20c and rev up the wood burner at night to be really cosy.
Old 22 Feb 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3959238)   #547
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Actually I don’t ! Interesting that a Morgan magazine has written about them.....
MOG features a different Marque each month Mike, Allard, Standard, Jowett etc. It is more than just a Morgan magazine, and there are some fantastic articles each month by truly great journalist.

Modesty forbids me from mentioning a name.
Old 23 Feb 2020, 15:13 (Ref:3959401)   #548
Tel 911S
Veteran

Noticed some mutterings in the media today about the VNUK ruling .
I thought that the EU parliament voted against it on 22nd Jan last year .

As most people know , it could effectively end all motor sport .

Is it the normal rubbish from the media , or has the EU commission ignored democracy and its own Parliament and decided to bring this in anyway .
Old 23 Feb 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3959403)   #549
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Noticed some mutterings in the media today about the VNUK ruling .
I thought that the EU parliament voted against it on 22nd Jan last year .

As most people know , it could effectively end all motor sport .

Is it the normal rubbish from the media , or has the EU commission ignored democracy and its own Parliament and decided to bring this in anyway .
So what’s happened since this?

https://www.autosport.com/national/n...insurance-vote
Old 23 Feb 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3959406)   #550
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:

That is the question .
Haven,t studied every detail , but todays stories .
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/boris-john...100519367.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...wers-tractors/
Closed Thread