Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3990796)   #2276
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Welcome back, Mike - all the best for a quick recovery.
Likewise Mike, you have been in my thoughts, and prayers. So pleased hear things are getting better.

Baub.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 07:37 (Ref:3990797)   #2277
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Welcome back, Mike - all the best for a quick recovery.
Ditto.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 07:43 (Ref:3990798)   #2278
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
So sorry to have disturbed you, Peter!

But the same question to Cliff.
Sorry Mike & Peter, but I don’t know what you are referring to? Perhaps you could jog my memory?

All the best for a speedy recovery Mike.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 07:49 (Ref:3990799)   #2279
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi Cliff, you posted a picture of some gates with a couple of cars and suggested there may be something interesting behind them.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 08:00 (Ref:3990803)   #2280
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hi Cliff, you posted a picture of some gates with a couple of cars and suggested there may be something interesting behind them.
I’ve just been through all my posts this year and can’t find it???

Are you sure it was me???
Old 26 Jul 2020, 08:19 (Ref:3990807)   #2281
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I’ve just been through all my posts this year and can’t find it???

Are you sure it was me???

You are quite correct Cliff, it was actually Colin McKay.

Over to you, Colin.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 08:40 (Ref:3990809)   #2282
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Over to you, Colin.
It was not me.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 09:06 (Ref:3990812)   #2283
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there is a C in the name.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 09:36 (Ref:3990813)   #2284
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you all for your kind wishes. It has been a very long process - I've not stepped outside of the hospital since April - so it will be a joy to go home, hopefully next week. And to see my family.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3990821)   #2285
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great news!
Old 26 Jul 2020, 10:30 (Ref:3990823)   #2286
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Best wishes Mike . Good to have you back
Old 26 Jul 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3990883)   #2287
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Seconded.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3990912)   #2288
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best wishes for a full recovery, Mike. I had not realised you were still incarcerated.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 07:44 (Ref:3990965)   #2289
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Did anyone else see the C4 documentary last night "Hitler's Supercars"? Apart from one of the interviewees who insisted on dramatising every point like a presenter in a conference call, it was interesting.

Lots of research and it explained the founding of Auto Union and how it got on to the racing programme. Rather poignant when discussing Rosemeyer and his demise. Although the story is well known it still resonates when you understand that he went out knowing the wind in a certain section of the course was a big problem. Very brave man IMO.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:06 (Ref:3990969)   #2290
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes it was really interesting. I loved the original footage, although I wish that sometimes they'd have stopped talking and just let the engines speak. Need to watch it again as my phone kept interrupting me!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3990978)   #2291
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Did anyone else see the C4 documentary last night "Hitler's Supercars"?
Thanks for the heads up Peter... obviously we dont get C4 here but reading your post sent me searching my own Aus cable channel guide for the programme, to find out it is showing here this Thursday night on FTA (SBS HD 7:35pm Thursday for any Aussies interested). Recorder now set in case I forget.
Wouldnt have known about the programme without your post.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:55 (Ref:3990981)   #2292
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sounds interesting Peter, thanks for this. I'm sure that C4 has a catch-up service, I will have to see if I can get to watch it via that.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 21:12 (Ref:3991133)   #2293
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Over to you, Colin.

Glad to see you here again Mike and hope all is going well post op.

The "Gates" photo was indeed Colin.

I found it interesting enough to tempt me to do a little research on Streetview and then more broadly and discovered the property was listed as "Last Sold" in, iirc, October 2019.

Since the gates are present in the Streetview image and that is (or was when I looked) older than last year there is some potential for a connection between ironwork and current occupant to be broken. Hopefully Colin is out there as I write discovering histories and documenting them ...
Old 27 Jul 2020, 21:43 (Ref:3991136)   #2294
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more to report on the Great Gate Mystery, other than that they were still there on Sunday. I'll have to pop into the local garage who know every local car owner. Might be the guy they told me about when a Gordon-Keeble appeared in the workshop, also has a Delta Integrale apparently, and in the right vicinity.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 22:02 (Ref:3991137)   #2295
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Did anyone else see the C4 documentary last night "Hitler's Supercars"? Apart from one of the interviewees who insisted on dramatising every point like a presenter in a conference call, it was interesting.

Lots of research and it explained the founding of Auto Union and how it got on to the racing programme. Rather poignant when discussing Rosemeyer and his demise. Although the story is well known it still resonates when you understand that he went out knowing the wind in a certain section of the course was a big problem. Very brave man IMO.

That piqued my interest.

Found this.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/zana.htm

Interesting, on several fronts. Any similarity to the documentary?
Old 28 Jul 2020, 05:17 (Ref:3991160)   #2296
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well that describes the accident but the documentary was really about the politics behind the rise of the silver arrows, both Merc and AU.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3991210)   #2297
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed, it was a very troubled time, although losing Rosemeyer was a massive shame and a tragedy.

I did enjoy that documentary, learnt a bit more about that time both in racing and the world and very interesting how the rivalry between Merc and Auto Union came to be.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3991349)   #2298
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
FYI We were heading off to Zolder next week. Meeting Cancelled.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3991379)   #2299
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
When were you notified Iain? I just saw that Belgium is suffering a spike.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3991381)   #2300
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not good, after all we’ve been through, things are still being affected. Let’s hope Belgium sort things out soon, we can’t afford to lose more people and more time out of the year