Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2790979)   #1
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hulkenberg Out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9190652.stm

Why do Williams always get rid of a driver who does well/achieves something for them. 1st pole since 2004 and we'll repay you by dropping you! It just doesn't make sense. Steady performances throughout the year plus he has got a good mentor to learn off in Rubens. Oh just remembered, it all comes down to MONEY
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2790981)   #2
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah just seen this. Sad news, as he had a pretty good season. Including giving Williams a long overdue pole. I wonder who will replace him?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:33 (Ref:2790983)   #3
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Yeah just seen this. Sad news, as he had a pretty good season. Including giving Williams a long overdue pole. I wonder who will replace him?
Pastor Maldonado according to the bbc is highly tipped. I personally would have stuck with Rubens and Nico.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:33 (Ref:2790984)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Apparently Williams offered him a long-term deal a la Jenson Button, whereby he'd be loaned to HRT for 2011, but Nico turned it down. It's a shame for him but I'm sure he'll find a seat for next year.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2790986)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaTheGreat View Post
Pastor Maldonado according to the bbc is highly tipped. I personally would have stuck with Rubens and Nico.
I'm sure Williams would've liked to stick with Rubens and Nico but commercial realities bite.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2790989)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's just sad... Williams deserves better but money talks. Let's hope Maldonado live up to the promise.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2790991)   #7
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm sure Williams would've liked to stick with Rubens and Nico but commercial realities bite.
True unfortunatly
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2790992)   #8
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Apparently Williams offered him a long-term deal a la Jenson Button, whereby he'd be loaned to HRT for 2011, but Nico turned it down. It's a shame for him but I'm sure he'll find a seat for next year.
Didnt see this post there, Nico to Team Lotus please
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2790994)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I can't blame him. I'd feel a bit insulted being farmed out to HRT after this season. Good on him. Hope he's not just shooting himself in the foot, though.

Sad for Williams. Confirmation that the team are struggling despite on the surface, actually doing ok this season. Can't help but feel they're going backwards slowly. First Nakajima, now this lol

Selby
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2790995)   #10
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Oh well. Has he done enough to warrant a drive elsewhere? Brazil qualifying aside, he seems to have been solid, if unspectaculor.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2790997)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
For a rookie he's had a pretty bloody good season. Slower start than many (including myself) had expected but to be on par with Barrichello..?

That's a pretty good measuring stick as far as i'm concerned, especially as it was both their first seasons with Williams.

Great shame for him, as I can't see him ending up in a team that's ahead of Williams.

Selby
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2791000)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Oh well. Has he done enough to warrant a drive elsewhere? Brazil qualifying aside, he seems to have been solid, if unspectaculor.
It wasn't too long ago that a sold, unspectacular debut season was seen as a positive thing! I think Hamilton and Vettel must've raised the bar with their storming debut seasons.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2791001)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
In fairness, Hamilton only did what Villeneuve did in 1996. Vettel was probably slightly more commendable given that it was a midfield car, which admittedly was a b-spec Red Bull.

Selby
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2791003)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
In fairness, Hamilton only did what Villeneuve did in 1996.
I reckon Hamilton's debut season eclipsed that of Villeneuve. To reach the podium in your first nine Grands Prix is an incredible feat, regardless of the car. Plus, Hamilton had a genuine great on the other side of the garage, and as much as I admire D. Hill, Villeneuve didn't.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2791005)   #15
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
Regarding Williams I heard a funny quote a while ago, could have been off here. It's something like this

"Williams. The new Tyrell. McLaren. The new Williams." Or something like that.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2791013)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaTheGreat View Post
highly tipped for what? to be the first driver to cost the team more in damage and fines that he brings in sponsorship?

crikey. i assume they've got nick heidfeld on speed dial in case maldonado isn't quite what they were looking for...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2791015)   #17
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Maldonado is crackers. He makes Kobayashi look sober and conservative in style.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2791022)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
That's just sad... Williams deserves better but money talks. Let's hope Maldonado live up to the promise.
I'd put it the other way around. Hulkenberg deserves better.

Apart from the pole position in Brazil I believe it was his eighth-place finish there that gave Williams the points to finish in 6th place in the Constructors' championship, so that was a few more million in the pot.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2791042)   #19
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt be surprised if he took a reserve driver role with Mercedes in 2011 with a seat alongside Nico in 2012 when MS finally hangs up his helmet.....
Old 15 Nov 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2791071)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if he took a reserve driver role with Mercedes in 2011 with a seat alongside Nico in 2012 when MS finally hangs up his helmet.....
Now there's a thought!!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2791159)   #21
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is why I lose faith with Williams, dropping Webber, Nico for pay drivers. Being the only team to block MS's proposed test last year.

Would like to see Nico at Lotus, but I think their contracts are tied up.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2791213)   #22
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A while ago, Ecclestone said something about too many Germans in F1. Can't disagree with him on this, but I hope Hülkenberg will not be one of the victims.
As regards talent&personality, I rate him higher than Glock, Sutil and Heidfeld. Let's hope Weber can find something suitable for the Hulk. How is Willi's relationship with di Montezemolo these days?

Last edited by blaffer; 15 Nov 2010 at 19:05.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2791222)   #23
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many Germans in F1? Are you mad? You can't regulate the number of drivers from a particular country. And if you could... How many Germans would you drop and from which country would come the replacements? Kenya? Burkina Faso? There's a pretty big F1 driver shortage in Samoa right about now...

This is a shame for The Hulk. I liked him well enough. The team has to think commercially to ensure survival and I don't want to blame Sir Frank and his team for going down this route. It seems a bad move in terms of competitiveness but who knows, it might well be necessary.

The best place for The Hulk to go could be Force India alongside either Sutil or Liuzzi, or neither (partnership with di Resta?).
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2791225)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It's plain daft, if the bloody teams had agreed to budgets cuts they wouldn't have to jetison decent drivers for pay drivers.

I know it's not that simple because teams who haven't got free engines and stuff always need to find the money to pay for their lumps in other ways. It's always been like that.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2791227)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
A while ago, Ecclestone said something about too many Germans in F1.
As long as they keep their towels to themselves, then its all good.