Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Nov 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3333396)   #2276
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I wasnt suggesting they will change. Just saying the yellow/red would go well with Shell. Ferrari would look good in yellow.
I know, I was just clarifying my own position!
Old 19 Nov 2013, 02:15 (Ref:3333397)   #2277
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
You would think by now somebody would come up with a yellow Corvette DP? But not yet. I hope somebody does that. It will look great I'm sure.
If you like cars pretending to be something they aren't...
Old 19 Nov 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3333751)   #2278
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any conjecture, rumor, facts regarding upcoming season Corvette Team Drivers. I'm assuming the regulars will still be Magnussen/Garcia and Gavin/Milner; however, who will fill the Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans & PLM enduro slots since Taylor and Westbrook are no longer options? I vote for Dane Cameron to fill one of the slots.

DK
Old 19 Nov 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3333770)   #2279
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I vote for Dane Cameron to fill one of the slots.

DK
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/se...test-notebook/

Quote:
***A number of star drivers were seen cruising the paddock this weekend looking for rides for 2014, including Kyle Marcelli, Dane Cameron, Billy Johnson and 2013 IndyCar Rookie-of-the-year, Tristan Vautier.
I'm guessing Corvette has already hired their new drivers. If they have, that would rule out any of the above. (Speculation, of course.)

Not sure Cameron would fit the team, regardless.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3333879)   #2280
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/se...test-notebook/
Not sure Cameron would fit the team, regardless.
Is there a reason you say this or just a feeling? He seems to have a pretty solid record in GTs as well as Protos. I don't know much about him on a personal level but he seemed to fit into the team concept with Sahlens BMW and before that the Sahlens Mazda Teams.

DK
Old 20 Nov 2013, 05:10 (Ref:3334061)   #2281
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Is there a reason you say this or just a feeling? He seems to have a pretty solid record in GTs as well as Protos. I don't know much about him on a personal level but he seemed to fit into the team concept with Sahlens BMW and before that the Sahlens Mazda Teams.

DK
No real reason, just guessing based on gut feeling.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3334314)   #2282
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
He did pretty well with the Genoa Racing PC at Sebring in 2011, before the team shipped off for the ELMS for the rest of the racing season. If I am not mistaken the team (Genoa) won the PC Class at Sebring.

I am sure he could do pretty well in the Corvette.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3336615)   #2283
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
I was wondering if there was any talk of Corvette going back to the 7 litre engine since Viper has been waived to use the 8 litre. It seems at the tracks where top speed was very important (Road America, Mosport and Road Atlanta), the Viper was quite dominant and had the best lap times of the GTs. Just wondering if they think it might give them an advantage over the current 5.5 litre.

DK
Old 25 Nov 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3336617)   #2284
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
I was wondering if there was any talk of Corvette going back to the 7 litre engine since Viper has been waived to use the 8 litre. It seems at the tracks where top speed was very important (Road America, Mosport and Road Atlanta), the Viper was quite dominant and had the best lap times of the GTs. Just wondering if they think it might give them an advantage over the current 5.5 litre.

DK
The C7.R is supposed to be using the same 5.5 liter engine as the C6.R.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3336624)   #2285
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
The C7.R is supposed to be using the same 5.5 liter engine as the C6.R.
So the rules are going to force Chevrolet to put an engine in the car that is not available in production cars?
That kind of makes a farce of homologation.

It would make more sense to for Chevy to show case the new V-8 rather than put an unavailable, in any size, LS in the race car.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3336663)   #2286
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 5.5L engine is a sleeved LS7, an engine available in the Z06. C7 has a 6.2L engine so I guess they'll just sleeve that one for C7.R.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3336689)   #2287
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Itd make too much sense to run the 6.2 liter engine. Seems none of the rules make sense so Im expecting the oddball.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3336773)   #2288
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvette C6R GT2 did carry engine larger than the maximum displacement allowed, but at the cost of carrying extra bricks and waivers in favor of the 430s
Old 26 Nov 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3336882)   #2289
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They need to just drop the stupid displacement cap. They already let the Viper break it, and in a class that they always talk about being "so much like the road cars" they should just make the cars run the same size engine the road car uses.

Part of what makes GT racing great is seeing the different philosophies used to make speed.

(Plus, dropping the displacement cap might have the added bonus of hearing a V12 scream under the hood of an Aston again...)
Old 26 Nov 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3336974)   #2290
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
They need to just drop the stupid displacement cap. They already let the Viper break it, and in a class that they always talk about being "so much like the road cars" they should just make the cars run the same size engine the road car uses.

Part of what makes GT racing great is seeing the different philosophies used to make speed.

(Plus, dropping the displacement cap might have the added bonus of hearing a V12 scream under the hood of an Aston again...)
Turbo regs need to be addressed as well. Luckily there is a chance to correct both of these issues with the upcoming GT regs overhaul. Will they do it though?
Old 26 Nov 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3337023)   #2291
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Turbo regs need to be addressed as well. Luckily there is a chance to correct both of these issues with the upcoming GT regs overhaul. Will they do it though?
Currently GT3 satisfies all your wish for the regulations. Turbo boost is specified for MP4-12C and GTR. Engines are open as long as it's the original road machine. Hope FIA incorporate all of these into the new GT/GT+
Old 26 Nov 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3337066)   #2292
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Currently GT3 satisfies all your wish for the regulations. Turbo boost is specified for MP4-12C and GTR. Engines are open as long as it's the original road machine. Hope FIA incorporate all of these into the new GT/GT+
Indeed, they just can't run at my favorite race!
Old 26 Nov 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3337071)   #2293
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Indeed, they just can't run at my favorite race!
I personally also want to see GT3 cars in the endurance racing, even if they carry extra weights like in the ELMS. It's cheaper than the GTEam and more variety.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3337087)   #2294
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Bring back GT1. Thats my opinion at least. These choked engines are goofy. The cars make 500-700hp in street trim, now most of them hit a wall at 180mph. I guess theyre scared lmp2 will be in jeopardy in that case.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3337147)   #2295
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we do that, then Porsche will have to make a new race car based off the GT2 and BMW will no longer be able to compete in GTE.

Aston Martin, Ferrari, Corvette and SRT will all be able to cope, but we may lose others.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3337271)   #2296
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
If we do that, then Porsche will have to make a new race car based off the GT2 and BMW will no longer be able to compete in GTE.

Aston Martin, Ferrari, Corvette and SRT will all be able to cope, but we may lose others.
BMW M6 for now (remember Alpina B6?) but in reality the M4 could work, or the new sportscar due in a year or two. And the GT2 Porsche could work, or even the 918. Ferrari could go to the F12, Viper has the ACR coming in 2014, Vette has the Z06 OR ZR1 coming as well. Aston has that pretty Vanquish, Mercedes can continue with the SLS etc. etc.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3337295)   #2297
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BMW has No car which could compete on equal footing with the Vette, Viper, Vantage, Audi, or anything from Ferrari. Maybe if BMW slapped four turbos on the Z4 ....

Anyway, I'd expect the new regs will use some formula of displacement, weight, and rim width to allow cars to use their production engines--it makes sense for manufacturers not to have to build special racing motors for what are supposed to be modified production cars.

Who knows though ... this is FIA and ACO we are discussing here, and their interaction with the political wings of the various manufacturers.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3337304)   #2298
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
BMW has No car which could compete on equal footing with the Vette, Viper, Vantage, Audi, or anything from Ferrari. Maybe if BMW slapped four turbos on the Z4 ....

Anyway, I'd expect the new regs will use some formula of displacement, weight, and rim width to allow cars to use their production engines--it makes sense for manufacturers not to have to build special racing motors for what are supposed to be modified production cars.

Who knows though ... this is FIA and ACO we are discussing here, and their interaction with the political wings of the various manufacturers.
The current Z4 GT3 and M3 GTE are quick cars, especially the Z4 is so quick in cornering, playing fairly even against others in the category.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3337308)   #2299
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Z4 GT3 is great around corners but slow on straights. Let the other cars have their bigger, more powerful engines and the Z4 would be out of luck--unless the BoP hamstrung the big engines so much that it would be a waste to allow them in the first place.

The M3 GTE is a joke---it is so loosely related to the actual M3 that it is basically a purpose built car. Sure, with its relocated engine, gearbox in the back, and all the waivers it got, it was a serious competior in gTE, but it was nothing like an M3---just as the Z4 GTE is nothing like a Z4.

If the idea is that factories have to use modified versions of their production cars including the production engines, I don't see the M4 or the Z4 matching the pace of the competition.

Nothing against BMW, but the Z4 is a small sports car, not in the performance range of the Vette, Viper, of vantage, and the M4 is a softer, more luxurious version of the M3. Without massive modification it would stand no chance against the rest.

Who knows what the rules will ultimately allow?
Old 27 Nov 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3337373)   #2300
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The Z4 GT3 is great around corners but slow on straights. Let the other cars have their bigger, more powerful engines and the Z4 would be out of luck--unless the BoP hamstrung the big engines so much that it would be a waste to allow them in the first place.

The M3 GTE is a joke---it is so loosely related to the actual M3 that it is basically a purpose built car. Sure, with its relocated engine, gearbox in the back, and all the waivers it got, it was a serious competior in gTE, but it was nothing like an M3---just as the Z4 GTE is nothing like a Z4.

If the idea is that factories have to use modified versions of their production cars including the production engines, I don't see the M4 or the Z4 matching the pace of the competition.

Nothing against BMW, but the Z4 is a small sports car, not in the performance range of the Vette, Viper, of vantage, and the M4 is a softer, more luxurious version of the M3. Without massive modification it would stand no chance against the rest.

Who knows what the rules will ultimately allow?
Find it hard to disagree with you. ;-) BMW do need a supercar (at least longer wheel base and lower platform for the GT customers instead of relying waivers in the GTE or BoP in the GT3, even though the connection between GTE cars and road cars is almost minimal. M6 is too fat for the job, sadly.