Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3844119)   #51
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it’s looking more and more likely he will make the move across the pond. Surely it’s a question of when not if the announcement will come?
The season is over in a month. I'm not sure if anything would be released before then.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3844123)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If his ride is with McLaren, whether as a start-up from scratch (unlikely in the timeframe) or in association with another team (perhaps Andretti), there are a lot of threads to be pulled together, not least an engine supply, as Honda, at any rate, say they’re operating pretty much at capacity right now. Also, do Honda want to jump back in to bed with the Spaniard?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:16 (Ref:3844124)   #53
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
If his ride is with McLaren, whether as a start-up from scratch (unlikely in the timeframe) or in association with another team (perhaps Andretti), there are a lot of threads to be pulled together, not least an engine supply, as Honda, at any rate, say they’re operating pretty much at capacity right now. Also, do Honda want to jump back in to bed with the Spaniard?
Yup.

https://autoweek.com/article/formula...ad-course-test

It's HPD that runs the Indycar program though, which is an American subsidiary and not the same group building the F1 engines in Japan.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3844125)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Indycar will make it happen. The events of May 2017 clearly illustrated what a draw Alonso is even if the Zak Brown spin machine was in overdrive.

I doubt there will be any issue between Alonso and Honda Indycar engine. Toyota may not be quite so accomodating if he continues in WEC with them.

Perhaps they will even build a new Indycar engine.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:39 (Ref:3844127)   #55
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I loved having him in F1 in his earlier years, if only because he was the first since Hakkinen that could actually stop the continuous onslaught of M.Schumacher and Ferrari.
I'm going to miss him as he was a great character and a bonus to F1.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3844130)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I loved having him in F1 in his earlier years, if only because he was the first since Hakkinen that could actually stop the continuous onslaught of M.Schumacher and Ferrari.
I'm going to miss him as he was a great character and a bonus to F1.
Montoya and Kimi also took it to Michael and Ferrari but yes Alonso was the one that actually made it stick!
Old 17 Aug 2018, 02:14 (Ref:3844134)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought I would posted this as well. According to Racer, Alonso is to test at Barber on September 5th.

https://racer.com/2018/08/16/honda-w...d-course-test/
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:29 (Ref:3844165)   #58
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
RBR has gone up a few notches in my most disliked teams.
To expand on my comment above. I think is shows the calibre of RBR that they still have not officially commented on one of their drivers leaving. Not a single word. Not a thank you. No good luck and all the best. Nothing. Pretty bad showing IMO.

Add to that, Horner's comments post Daniel to Renault announcement, where he said that one of the reasons DR is leaving is because he is scared of competition from Max. Even though DR was offered exactly the same pay and conditions as Max, and CH also went on to say DR might regret his decision. Low blow that from Horner, and uncalled for, specially as those comments were made after Ricciardo had released a video where he thanked Red Bull, and was appreciative of their 10 year journey together.

I sincerely hope that Renault and McLaren are podium contenders next season. As long as they are both ahead of Red Bull, that would be pretty good. Pretty awesome even.

Last edited by F1Guy; 17 Aug 2018 at 07:35.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3844169)   #59
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Might only be a 'Massa' retirement.....he'll probably be back next season in another team...
Old 17 Aug 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3844199)   #60
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To expand on my comment above. I think is shows the calibre of RBR that they still have not officially commented on one of their drivers leaving. Not a single word. Not a thank you. No good luck and all the best. Nothing. Pretty bad showing IMO.

Add to that, Horner's comments post Daniel to Renault announcement, where he said that one of the reasons DR is leaving is because he is scared of competition from Max. Even though DR was offered exactly the same pay and conditions as Max, and CH also went on to say DR might regret his decision. Low blow that from Horner, and uncalled for, specially as those comments were made after Ricciardo had released a video where he thanked Red Bull, and was appreciative of their 10 year journey together.

I sincerely hope that Renault and McLaren are podium contenders next season. As long as they are both ahead of Red Bull, that would be pretty good. Pretty awesome even.

Sadly, making snipey comments seem to be the way that Red Bull operate. Look at the way they've dealt with Renault over the years. It's strange as Christian Horner always appears quite pleasant when interviewed on the TV (or asked for comments from the pit wall during the race), but also seems very skilled calculated nasty comment (like saying he could think of nothing good that had happened during their relationship with Renault, despite the World Championships!).
Old 17 Aug 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3844201)   #61
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Yet more biased bullsh*t.

The following was given immediately after the announcement of Ricciardo's departure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport

Team principal Christian Horner said: "We fully respect Daniel's decision to leave and we wish him all the best in his future.

"We would like to thank him for his dedication and the role he has played since joining the team in 2014, the highlights of course being the seven wins and the 29 podiums he has achieved so far with us.

"We will now continue to evaluate the numerous options available to us before deciding on which driver partners Max Verstappen for the 2019 season.

"In the meantime, there are still nine races left in 2018 and we are fully focused on maximising every opportunity for Max and Daniel for the remainder of the season."

Old 17 Aug 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3844218)   #62
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Might only be a 'Massa' retirement.....he'll probably be back next season in another team...
Somehow I don’t think so. He’s not getting any younger and would need a team which could deliver him instant results - realistically Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull. And, for various reasons, I don’t see his face fitting at any of those.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3844248)   #63
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tend to agree that unless he is offered a drive in a team that is winning on a regular basis, he will not be back in F1. Assuming he moves to IndyCar, if he enjoys that experience (either via winning, or at the least pure racing) he may also think twice about an F1 return. We also have to take him at his word that he is unhappy with the predictability of F1. So he may not return if the status quo remains.

I fully suspect his goal is an Indy 500 win and that part of that is an understanding that a full time ride in IndyCar can do nothing but help him to achieve that goal. Plus, being good and in a good car is no guarantee for a win at Indy. So he may realize that it may take awhile to accomplish. Better to start now.

Richard
Old 17 Aug 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3844258)   #64
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
At least moving to IndyCar, as opposed to Formula 1, will likely let him remain competitive well into his 40s. Endurance racing likewise.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3844262)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can’t see him back in F1 either, but you never know
Old 17 Aug 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3844276)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I tend to agree that unless he is offered a drive in a team that is winning on a regular basis, he will not be back in F1. Assuming he moves to IndyCar, if he enjoys that experience (either via winning, or at the least pure racing) he may also think twice about an F1 return. We also have to take him at his word that he is unhappy with the predictability of F1. So he may not return if the status quo remains.

I fully suspect his goal is an Indy 500 win and that part of that is an understanding that a full time ride in IndyCar can do nothing but help him to achieve that goal. Plus, being good and in a good car is no guarantee for a win at Indy. So he may realize that it may take awhile to accomplish. Better to start now.

Richard
He maybe unhappy about the predictability of F1 but IndyCar can equally be quite unpredictable and frustrating. Just because you're on pole doesn't guarantee a race win as much as it does in F1. There are more variables as there are fuels stops, as well as tyre stops and if a Full Course Yellow comes along at the wrong time, a driver can find themselves at the back of the field. However, the racing is a lot closer and I'm sure he is relishing the challenges of racing in IndyCar, especially those different ovals.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3844278)   #67
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think his length of stay in Indycars should he choose that avenue depends on how long it takes him to tick the 500 box to get his much wanted triple crown. An Indycar title would be the icing on the cake.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3844310)   #68
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Maybe it’s early days, maybe it’s because Alonso’s star has waned, but this (potential) move doesn’t seem to have the same buzz about it as Mansell going to Newman-Haas for 1993. I suppose he was reigning world champion.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3844313)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe it’s early days, maybe it’s because Alonso’s star has waned, but this (potential) move doesn’t seem to have the same buzz about it as Mansell going to Newman-Haas for 1993. I suppose he was reigning world champion.
US news picked up on the story in quite a big way - although that may be down to influence in the networks.
Noticed on recent CNN trailers that Hamilton appears twice - so an Alonso story broadens the F1 footprint, and they have promised to 'keep you updated on Alonso's move to America'.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3844315)   #70
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, growth of awareness in the States must be a good thing for the sport if it has global ambitions.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3844318)   #71
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Simply put.

Other things offer me more of a challenge

I know that is weighted because h cant find a winning seat, but that is worrying for F1 as a whole!
Old 18 Aug 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3844384)   #72
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
More from Fred.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...pted-2019-exit

"The action on track is not the one I dreamed of when I joined F1, or when I was in different series, or the action on track that I experienced in other years," said Alonso.

"Now, we can write down what is going to happen at Spa and Monza. We can put the first 15 positions with maybe one or two mistakes. So how predictable everything became is tough.

"We go to Barcelona and we test the first day of winter testing and you know what you will do until November in Abu Dhabi and it is tough.

Not much to argue with!
Old 18 Aug 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3844392)   #73
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The following was given immediately after the announcement of Ricciardo's departure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yet more biased bullsh*t.
The "biased bullsh*t" is more you than me. I wasn't referring to Ricciardo.

Old 18 Aug 2018, 07:15 (Ref:3844412)   #74
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Well, you were, you said RBR have said nothing since ONE OF THEIR DRIVERS decided to leave. Ricciardo decided to leave. They said something. You were proven wrong. Again. So jog on little boy
Old 18 Aug 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3844414)   #75
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He probably meant Sainz although they thanked him last year. And they don’t want him or his Dad / manager back.
Closed Thread