Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Sep 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3851865)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
All power units to be supplied to FIA for sealing, and then randomly allocated between works and customer teams.
I like this one.
I’m not bothered about this. Back when F1 was good it wasn’t needed. Someone can make an exclusive great engine that is better in the same way they can make a superior chassis.

Anyway, amongst all these calls of injustice, it isn’t even an issue.

We are in a period where the power units are more consistent between works and customer teams than they have ever been. Maybe, occasionally, the works team get the new f spec engine first or something. So what? That’s there prerogative.

Since, at least, the last few years of V8s most manufacturers, especially Merc, have produce identical engines for all. And the main reason? It is easier to do it that way.

I’m sure it’s not fair in some way. So let’s introduce another rule, regulation and restriction
Old 21 Sep 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3851874)   #27
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Interesting topic.

aero rules
Ensure the cars can follow each other closely, without ruining their tires. I'm not an engineer so I cannot tell for sure how I would achieve that. Limiting front and rear wings and getting rid off all the aerodynamic add-ons like winglets could be part of the solution. But since I'm in charge, I'll get someone knowlegeable to advise me on this subject, someone like Gary Anderson.

DRS
To be dropped

Tires
Introduce durable tires, get rid of the mandatory degradation.
(Think Michelin, not Pirelli ?)

Bring 3 different compounds, teams can choose whatever they want.

I'm not agreeing with myself yet if I want the teams to use 2 different sets or if they can race on a single set if they want to.

pitstops
There's no need for 224 people working during a pitstop.
Limit the number of persons to 5: 1 for each tire and 1 lollypop man. This way we can actually SEE what is going on.
(I prefer the way the actual pitstops work in Indycar, Blancpain or ELMS)

Of course: if teams can run on a single set of tirs, there may not be much use for pitstops.
Maybe we should keep the mandatory tire change?
Old 21 Sep 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3851877)   #28
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Data Acquisition
the only real time data acquisition will be between cars and their pits...no transmission to their data centres during the race. races need to be competed by those at the track. after the race spend all the time you want back at base going over the data.
Excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Broadcasting
a free online broadcast of the race at a lower resolution.

those who want to pay for 4K, HD, the associated apps, cable subscriptions etc still have a reason to do so but a free online broadcast will help increase the audience and sponsor value.
I would like the free broadcast to be in HD. If Blancpain, ELMS, IMSA can do that, then so can we.
4K, additional camera's, multiple screens etc ... can be left for paying viewers.

Timing and scoring (incl. sector times) should be freely available, via a website (think: Better Live Timing / Live Timing Aggregator) and an app for those who prefer that.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3852328)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why not simplify the engine regulations, it would bring the costs down?
To me this is where the formula must go, the FIA must take the initiative and set the agenda, if the manufacturers walk away and the FIA have been crowing the importance of the expensive hybrid power units to the exclusion of all else, what is the fall back position?
Disband F1?
Old 24 Sep 2018, 06:32 (Ref:3852337)   #30
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Easy - take it off the telly, Budgets shrink , no more races in totalitarian jokes like Azerbaijan, affordable entry fees for the likes of you and me.

And the bonus of the reduced risk of your hairdresser or boring brother in law sharing his views on Lewis's haircut. Job done .
Old 24 Sep 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3852339)   #31
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Easy - take it off the telly, Budgets shrink , no more races in totalitarian jokes like Azerbaijan, affordable entry fees for the likes of you and me.

And the bonus of the reduced risk of your hairdresser or boring brother in law sharing his views on Lewis's haircut. Job done .

What about all those team and track sponsors who pay a tidy sum to be broadcast to he world?

Without them F1 last more than a week
Old 24 Sep 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3852350)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree getting rid of some races that aren't worth going to, but let's keep it on telly and FTA at that
Old 24 Sep 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3852375)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post

Sorry couldn't resist replying to the last sentence!

Trouble is quite a lot of people seem to be quite interested in his non driving 'qualities'?

To my mind fixing F1 would be fairly simple and not really need to make wholesale changes to the weekend programme.

Essentially we absolutely need to get those huge front wings chopped down properly. After all when the 2019 changes were mooted last year, the front wing width was supposedly going to fit between the front tyres to reduce their aero efficiency?

Make the cars a bit shorter, they are ridiculously long and look quite cumbersome from side-on?

Reduce the manufacturers overbearing influence by bulldozing through reduction in the technology that has proven to be unecessary for the cost it takes, permitting them to supply only one extra team and encourage customer built engines. If the FIA have to 'cancel' F1, do away with silly concorde agreements and re-start it by inviting everyone to enter again, so be it. That would get a few more teams coming in and therefore more drivers.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3852414)   #34
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
What about all those team and track sponsors who pay a tidy sum to be broadcast to he world?

Without them F1 last more than a week

It would , but it would no longer feature the grotesque nonsense of the likes of Mercedes blowing half a billion quid a year.

And a little history lesson - GPs were held without major sponsorship in the sense we now understand it between 1906 and 1968 . And no telly until mid Seventies in any meaningful sense .
Old 24 Sep 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3852416)   #35
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
But what does that lesson teach us? That the world was different when there was no television and internet? I think we all know that.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3852442)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You can’t uninvent the wheel (unless you are Amish!)
Old 24 Sep 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3852443)   #37
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=coppice;3852414]It would , but it would no longer feature the grotesque nonsense of the likes of Mercedes blowing half a billion quid a year.

At least Mercedes build a great car, look at all the hundreds of millons wasted by McLaren, Renault and Williams on the crap they build
Old 24 Sep 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3852485)   #38
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just an idea on third cars. They can only be run by low grid teams, but have to be funded by top grid teams. So if Mercedes want to run a junior they fund Williams to run an extra car for them. Would it work?
Old 24 Sep 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3852487)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

Work better than just giving all the teams it
Old 24 Sep 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3852493)   #40
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Utopia is possible....

I have a solution, it's a bit savage but I reckon it's a winner.

Teams
  • 8 teams, 3 cars each, 24 cars....
  • Each teams 3rd car is to be driven by a driver with less than 2 years in F1....
  • The running of the 3rd to be given to a 'junior team" with their own livery, sponsorship etc....
  • a Junior Team and Drivers Championship....

Cars
  • Diversity (look at LMP1 a few years ago, diesel, petrol, 2WD, 4WD, hybrids of both)....
  • Push to Pass (handicapped based on current standings i.e. Lewis gets less than Lance)....

Drivers
  • All drivers must score at least 20 points over per season or face losing their F1 Superlicence....
  • Look beyond F2 and other single seaters for incoming drivers....

I reckon with this in place we would have the new drivers entering in more competitive cars (can you imagine if Leclerc was in a 3rd Ferrari?). We'd probably need Red Bull to take one for the team and reduce Toro Rosso to a 1 car junior team.

We could also have other teams potentially come and "have a go" at F1 running the 3rd car without having to make the leap of becoming a constructor (888 Australia or Joest Sport for example).
Old 24 Sep 2018, 22:47 (Ref:3852503)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
I have a solution, it's a bit savage but I reckon it's a winner.

Teams
  • 8 teams, 3 cars each, 24 cars....
  • Each teams 3rd car is to be driven by a driver with less than 2 years in F1....
  • The running of the 3rd to be given to a 'junior team" with their own livery, sponsorship etc....
  • a Junior Team and Drivers Championship....

Cars
  • Diversity (look at LMP1 a few years ago, diesel, petrol, 2WD, 4WD, hybrids of both)....
  • Push to Pass (handicapped based on current standings i.e. Lewis gets less than Lance)....

Drivers
  • All drivers must score at least 20 points over per season or face losing their F1 Superlicence....
  • Look beyond F2 and other single seaters for incoming drivers....

I reckon with this in place we would have the new drivers entering in more competitive cars (can you imagine if Leclerc was in a 3rd Ferrari?). We'd probably need Red Bull to take one for the team and reduce Toro Rosso to a 1 car junior team.

We could also have other teams potentially come and "have a go" at F1 running the 3rd car without having to make the leap of becoming a constructor (888 Australia or Joest Sport for example).
Open the book and go back to the '70s.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3852559)   #42
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
Just an idea on third cars. They can only be run by low grid teams, but have to be funded by top grid teams. So if Mercedes want to run a junior they fund Williams to run an extra car for them. Would it work?
What a brilliant and simple solution to the problem.
In fact it's so simple, it'll never get adopted into the complicated world of Formula One...
Old 25 Sep 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3852580)   #43
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting question but what is meant by fix? If the aim is to ensure whole of the field in racing for first place it won't happen, never has and never will. I want more basics and get rid of the huge resources of engineering that is evident on the pit walls, if they don't have that then they can't spend the money.

Limit how far forward the front wing of two elements can be. At the moment they are pushing the front wings out as far as they can to load the front axle more thus we get metronomic performance which is absolutely predictable.

Limit the engineering resources at the track, no data comms back to base at all from the track, two screens on the pit wall, one for the chassis and one for the PU, how much did they just save by doing that? If they can't manage it they can't run it and watch cars become far simpler.

No car to pit data logging at all. That way the driver can't be coached from the pit wall.

Stock block V8 of 4 litres, one turbocharger.

Pump fuel from a local servo, its only a road V8 fer god's sake not a moon rocket.

The budget problem is now solved. You know of course that the same teams will be roughly where they are now in the pecking order as talent always wins in motor sport. It surprises me that anyone thinks that the new coming regulations are going to change the pecking order because it won't happen. It might have happened years ago but not now.

By reducing the numbers of engineering personnel the lower end teams have a chance of picking up engineers who have a better chance of designing quicker cars as well which is a good thing.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3852596)   #44
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post

The budget problem is now solved.
Hilarious.

I will come with someting myself later but this was just too good to pass up.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3852597)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I keep looking at the title and......

Surely Flav and Piquet confirmed that F1 can be fixed.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3852604)   #46
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Ba
Dum
Tsh!

Peter wins, end of thread
Old 25 Sep 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3852605)   #47
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Same thought Peter, but Mercedes ....
Old 25 Sep 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3852609)   #48
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Old 25 Sep 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3852625)   #49
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Right then, in my view F1 doesn't need as much 'fixing' as it needs to reflect on what's been done before and what other solutions are out there. Consolidate the good, get rid of the bad. In my line of work I tell companies that they can improve their results by 200% with the same amount of people and in half the time. They don't believe me until it happens. F1 is run like a big company these days and they are always tempted to ignore what they have and focus on trying to improve or tweak. In my philosophy, a lot of things can't be 'fixed' or totally gotten rid of, but can be migitated or diminished. It doesn't always have to be either fully allowed or fully forbidden, compromises can exist. Having said that;

Technical side
Leave the engines (sorry, 'power units') pretty much as they are, this is perhaps one area where only tweaking might actually work. The packaging is extremely tight due to the too strict aero regulations so that needs freeing up. They would sound better with a proper exhaust, so exhaust regulations need to be scrapped. If a team wants to allow a blown diffuser, let them. Scrap the 100kg/h (or 105 as I think it is now?) fuel limit and adopt the same regulations as WEC LMP1. Fuel limit per 3 laps of a representive circuit with a per circuit modifier. This will limit (but of course not completely erase) the amount of fuel saving needed.
Cars are too heavy and too wide. Go back to 2008 dimensions as much as possible, ignore everything the regulations for 2009 and 2014 asked for. It was the wrong road to take and that should be acknoweledged. The current cars are abominations because of trying to 'fix' the dreadful 2014 rules instead of starting properly from scratch. Replace the halo with a windscreen.

Aerodynamics
Leave it as it is, although again looking at the 2008 rules for inspiration would be best. Realistically speaking however, leave the regulations after the 2019 changes to the front wing (which won't make a difference anyway). DRS stays. Stability is needed. Do NOT listen to the zealots who claim the cars have too much downforce, that nearly destroyed F1 as we know it back in 2009 and again in 2014. This is probably more a sporting thing but I'll put it here: DRS can be used whenever you're less than a second behind someone. If you're not, you can't use it. No more zones, so that if you pass someone with DRS you can't use it again in the next zone like it is now. No DRS in qualifying.
Free up the exhaust regulations as mentioned above. The 'coke bottle' design needs to go, it limits engineering freedom for the power units. If that means blown diffusers will become the norm, so be it. That can be migitated somewhat by mandating the exhaust exits be visible and above a certain plane. Again, compromise. Someone might invent something that works better even. Also let's hope all this gets rid of the ridiculous noses we've been stuck with since 2010.

Tyres
Oh boy. This needs a total rethink. Almost everything that has been done since 2011 has been a complete waste of time regarding this issue. Whatever the intentions were, micromanaging this issue will never ever work. It's pretty much the biggest problem I have with F1 in the last decade or so: trying to throw all sorts of random curveballs in the hope it trips up the top teams and upsets the applecart. Except it never, let me repeat, never works in the long term. If it does it only does so for a very short time. Lots of people rave about the start of 2012 and how many different winners we had, but I mostly remember the proper championship fight we had after the teams sorted themselves out again and the tyres worked somewhat. So my proposal: copy MotoGP. Seriously. They have three front tyre compounds and four rear tyre compounds. All of them can last the entire race and the riders can choose any combination they want. Every compound is available at every race (though because they're motorcycles they do have asymmetric tyres for tracks with a skewed corner distribution, this is not relevant for F1 and the compound of the main part of the tyre is still the same). I have much more to say about this regarding the sporting side of the tyres but I'll leave that to that section. This will also make the entire thing so much cheaper since Pirelli doesn't have to chase some sort of mythical performance or degrading window mandated by the rules and can just do what they should: make tyres. If needed for the show, a special qualifying tyre can be produced that only gets used in Q3 and cannot be used in the race. Let's see how fast these cars can go (without DRS).

Last edited by EffectiveSprinkles; 25 Sep 2018 at 14:30.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3852631)   #50
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Hilarious.

I will come with someting myself later but this was just too good to pass up.
I appreciate your appreciation and welcome to the Casper fan club. it's not often people agree with me to such an extent.