Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Feb 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3713096)   #2976
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I didn't really like the old World Challenge CTS-Vs but the new GT3 ATS-V is another story. At last years Road America round my brothers and I watched one of the early practice sessions from the inside of Canada corner. The unburned fuel popping in the exhaust from the turbo V6s in the Caddys sounded like cannons going off. Especially since the two cars were running in tandem for most of the session. You could always tell when the Cadillacs were coming. It was pretty Awesome!
He's referring to the Dallaralac.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 05:54 (Ref:3713097)   #2977
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The people that thought the Corvette DP was an abomination, yet were totally cool with the Corvette GTP(including it's turbo V6 engine!) always make me laugh.

For the record, I'm not exactly a huge fan of that either. The difference is that it predates my time as a sports car fan, and is largely irrelevant to any discussion of the sport today. A blip on rather ancient radar.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3713142)   #2978
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The people that thought the Corvette DP was an abomination, yet were totally cool with the Corvette GTP(including it's turbo V6 engine!) always make me laugh.

Don't really agree. They're both against the idea of what a Corvette is, but the GTP was a no-holds-barred race car. It maybe shouldn't have had the Corvette badge, but it was at least a proper effort by GM and Lola.

The DP is just another decade old tube frame with some bodywork pretending to be a Corvette, that was then balanced anyway. It was the best of the DPs, but that's like being the best of the sexually transmitted diseases. It was a bit embarrassing to stick a Corvette badge on that one IMO.

I actually liked Grand Am, but I liked it because the DPs were a bit crap. When they started to pretend they were awesome and stuck Corvette badges on it, it just looked silly. Like a fat kid in a wrestling mask, thinking he's a super hero.

Edit: The GTP is like a Corvette tribute. The DP is like an insult.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 19 Feb 2017 at 12:15.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3713156)   #2979
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
I used to be a huge fan of Corvette, cheered for them against Viper, Ferrari, Aston and cheered for them in the GT2/ALMS GT wars (Though I also liked teams like Acemco with the Saleen in GT1 and Falken, Lizards, Risi, etc. in GT2). Corvette Racing is what pulled me into the American Le Mans Series and sports car racing in general.

Over the last few years, though, my fandom for the Corvette Racing program has waned. Part of it was the result of working on too many GM cars in my job. Part of it was that the C7.R just doesn't appeal to me like the C6.R GT2, C6.R GT1 & even the C5.R. A lot of it was the fact that GM undervalued the car, it's fanbase, and racing fans' intelligence in general, by putting 'Corvette' decorations on the GM DPs. How are fans supposed to believe in a car that means so little to the people who make it? It's kind of like trying to survive the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Today, I hardly pay any attention to Corvette. Maybe it's just that Corvettes don't really run in series I care about. I still love the cars, and I'd really like to see the Callaway C7 GT3 car run in PWC. As for the Cadillacs, I really like the ATS-V.R. As TR notes the exhaust note in Canada Corner is amazing. If I were making a list of favorite GT3 cars, Cadillac would probably be fourth or fifth after McLaren, Porsche & Bentley.
Whether that's because of my old loyalties to Johnny O and P&M, or simply because I like the car and Cadillac Racing team, I don't know.
Dont go dissing the prequel trilogy. It is wonderful! Same thing for the C7. I took probably about a minute to get adjusted to the new look but I think its wonderful. I prefer it over the C6 now.
Old 19 Feb 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3713158)   #2980
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love the C7. It looks like it sounds. Mean. The C5 and C6 were a bit soft. Soft is a 90s look, the C6 was better but the C7 looks amazing.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3716634)   #2981
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like we will see the Callaway C7 GT3 after all in the US.

http://www.24hseries.com/eventinfo/c...eamsanddrivers
Old 14 Jun 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3829359)   #2982
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fehan, Corvette Racing Waiting On New Regs for the potential to move to GTP and he talked about of next model of Corvette, a future in the WEC and the possibility of competing in both Sebring races in '19.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...e-forward.html
Old 21 Jun 2018, 04:27 (Ref:3832251)   #2983
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The future of Corvette

I don't see what Corvette would gain by competing in the 12 hour WEC Sebring event.

I just don't how it makes sense to risk the IMSA cars in the WEC non championship event that takes place prior.
Also, the competition is the same in both.

Last edited by Articus; 21 Jun 2018 at 04:42.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3832491)   #2984
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprise WEC entry for Corvette in China in November with one car and special paint scheme.

https://www.fiawec.com/en/news/corve...-shanghai/6019
Old 22 Jun 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3832495)   #2985
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Surprise WEC entry for Corvette in China in November with one car and special paint scheme.

I thought this was a joke at first when I saw it elsewhere but no it’s for real. Be weird not seeing the car race in yellow but.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3832520)   #2986
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post

Well I didn't see that coming, can't wait to see it!
Old 22 Jun 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3832555)   #2987
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Pity they could not do that for silverstone as i can't imagine i will make it to china
Old 22 Jun 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3832557)   #2988
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol, yeah that would be cool. Unfortunately, GM doesn't sell 4 million cars in the UK, which is probably why Shanghai is the one-off.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3832565)   #2989
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
lol, yeah that would be cool. Unfortunately, GM doesn't sell 4 million cars in the UK, which is probably why Shanghai is the one-off.
Right. Like it or not, China has nearly 1/6th of the world's population. That's a lot of potential car buyers and these companies know it. That's why China is such a big market and things like this happen. At least there's another GTE racing.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 05:16 (Ref:3832600)   #2990
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Right. Like it or not, China has nearly 1/6th of the world's population. That's a lot of potential car buyers and these companies know it. That's why China is such a big market and things like this happen. At least there's another GTE racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Pity they could not do that for silverstone as i can't imagine i will make it to china

Shanghai is the only race that does not conflict with the IMSA schedule.

L.P.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3832657)   #2991
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never liked yellow on cars, so I'm likely to prefer this livery over the normal one...

Wish they would go back to the silver and black checkered paint.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3868430)   #2992
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
The end of an era....and the beginning of a new.

Lanky Turtle aka, "The Man" got some spy footage of the C8.R testing at Sebring recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfg71KgtxO4

https://sportscar365.com/features/vi...UP2iq0qf6umtIk
Old 7 Dec 2018, 03:07 (Ref:3868434)   #2993
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
The end of an era....and the beginning of a new.

Lanky Turtle aka, "The Man" got some spy footage of the C8.R testing at Sebring recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfg71KgtxO4

https://sportscar365.com/features/vi...UP2iq0qf6umtIk
Doesn't have the traditional sound, but I still think it sounds pretty good!
Old 7 Dec 2018, 03:18 (Ref:3868439)   #2994
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Doesn't have the traditional sound, but I still think it sounds pretty good!
Yeah. It sounds alright. Doesn't sound like a Corvette to me, though

Oh well. The times they are a changin
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Unrealisti...ter-mobile.mp4
Old 8 Dec 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3868732)   #2995
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sounds like the Ferrari 458?
Old 8 Dec 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3868748)   #2996
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have to change to stay competitive, FIA put the kabosh on large displacement and took away the allowance for two valve per cylinder. I’d much rather see a change than become Aston Martin like, hoping for generosity from the sanctioning body to be competitive, i.e. gifts. Corvette Racing’s main goal is still a class win at Lemans and like it or not regulations are going to dictate what they do going forward. I’ll miss the rumble as well, but enjoy the podiums all the same.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3868752)   #2997
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Sounds like the Ferrari 458?
Yes it does, like a 5 liter flat plane twin turbo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfg71KgtxO4
Old 8 Dec 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3868770)   #2998
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dunno, if that silly land yacht BMW can be BoP'ed to be competitive, I don't see why the current C7 or a future front-mid-engined (or whatever the hell they call it) sports car wouldn't be perfectly fine.

Not a fan of this new thing. I mean it's cool I guess, but I'd rather see it as a Cadillac running in some other class than as a "Corvette."

GT racing, and GT2/E in particular, used to be my favorite in racing, but I'm having a hard enough time mustering up interest in the class lately anyway, and this won't be helping.
Old 8 Dec 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3868795)   #2999
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Yes it does, like a 5 liter flat plane twin turbo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfg71KgtxO4
I know twin-turbo makes more sense, but it is so much louder despite having that soft turbo like sound. Compare to 488 GTE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXT2PdNfmE

But it doesn't have the scream of 458 either, at least not the scream of the GTE version.

There's also this recording of the C8.R: https://soundcloud.com/sportscar365/...sound-revealed

Last edited by deggis; 8 Dec 2018 at 17:46.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 07:06 (Ref:3868900)   #3000
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
They have to change to stay competitive, FIA put the kabosh on large displacement and took away the allowance for two valve per cylinder. I’d much rather see a change than become Aston Martin like, hoping for generosity from the sanctioning body to be competitive, i.e. gifts. Corvette Racing’s main goal is still a class win at Lemans and like it or not regulations are going to dictate what they do going forward. I’ll miss the rumble as well, but enjoy the podiums all the same.
The frankly kind of awful engine in the back of the 911 that dominated Le Mans this year shows none of that is true.