Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Mar 2010, 07:38 (Ref:2663260)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Classic Touring Car Racing season opener Cadwell 3rd April

We have our first race of the season this weekend at Cadwell Park lets hope for a good un!

I have both my 2nd gen and 3rd gen Camaros on the button sitting in my workshop and ready to race a first for me!

I have opted to take the 3rd gen IROC-Z on this occassion in the Pre-93 Touring Cars as I have built a new engine for it and am anxious to take her back out again after loosing an engine in the car at the first race last year, lets hope for better things this year. Also the control tyre for the championship this car runs in is the Toyo 888 medium compound which suits the car well especially as rain is forecast. I have to run Historic Dunlops on the 2nd gen car and they are just scary in the wet especially with the very cammy engine, big carb and manifolds I have in that car. This car has smaller exhaust manifolds and carb and a less wild cam so will be more drivable around this undulating track in the wet than the 2nd gen. Also years ago I tried to race this car here but lost a wheel in qually and was bumped to the back of the reserves so never got to race so I owe it one. I hope to have the older car out in Post Historics at the following Silverstone round later in the month.

Anyone going please come over and say hello.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2663398)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I made a promise to myself last August that I wouldn't race until I was 100% ready so I'm going to miss this one, hopefully post testing on Tuesday I will be ready for the next round . . . .
Old 30 Mar 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2663451)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Shame never mind, why is it so many guys never seem to get ready in time for the season opener because trust me you are not alone which is a shame as this is a rare visit to Cadwell for CTCRC. I had two dead cars at the finish of last season, one sans engine and one with a bash in the front wing and got down to work on both immediately the season ended and got as much done by Christmas as possible, you just have to knuckle down and disipline yourself its really the only way.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 06:36 (Ref:2663965)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sorry boss!

family and work come before hobby, not a new excuse!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 07:24 (Ref:2663984)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah I guess, I decided to do circuit racing just after my third child was born (my now 23 year old beautiful daughter!) which has got to be pretty selfish but I was in a well paid job that only required 3 or 4 days work a week so was not too much of a problem but it could still be a strain at times.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2664006)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
in all honest I could have been ready for Spa last september if I'd had the inclination but frankly I couldn't be arsed!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2664081)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well looking at the weather for Cadwell I think you are right, I am so glad I decided to take the IROC-Z as at least I have half a chance of keeping it in the island as its on Toyo 888's the older car would have been a pigging handful on the Dunlop Formulas. Also glad I cancelled my entry for a second race in Classic Thunder as the plan was to race on slicks, that wouldnt have happened!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2664134)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'm hoping a combination of the 7 p's and a level playing field will rekindle the passion, I was seriously contemplating MOT-ing the car last year, the weather really doesn't bother me one bit . . . . although warm sunshine is higher on the wish list!
Old 4 Apr 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2666781)   #9
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looked at the results on the TSL site.

er, dare we ask how things went Al?
Old 4 Apr 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2666784)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Three laps qualifying and no show for the race best not ask.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2666786)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
yeah may be best.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2666936)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
looks like a good turn out for a remote season opener. airfield next up?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2666941)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah now if only they could put Cadwell where Silverstone is we would have a ball.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:09 (Ref:2666950)   #14
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was up there spectating and have a some photographs which I'll post later. I even got one of Al! Good days racing with some lovely machinery even though a bit fresh in the wind.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2666952)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You would have to have been quick!
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:19 (Ref:2666954)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Come on then Al, what happened?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2666958)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well if you are really interested I had low oil pressure after I thought I had cured the issue so I pulled off, I am currently pulling the engine (again). The engine sounds good, no knocks or rattles and pulls strong but the pressure refuses to rise above 20 psi hot cold, revved or at tickover. I am hoping its a faulty pump and stuck release valve or worse way just bearings.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2666960)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Have you tried another gauge or a testing gauge straight in the block?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2666962)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No its not that as it has a 25psi light and that tells the same story it also has an accusmp that has its own guage and they would tell you but it still shows 20 psi on that.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2667043)   #20
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real bad luck Al and I hope you get sorted without too much hassle and expense. Sounds like it must be oil pump trouble. Can you run the dam thing off the car and check it anyhow? When we raced Crapis we had similar trouble and made a jig thing with a oil feed and gauge so we could run it with a drill.

From my point of view it was a good race. Managed to make a demon start and run in 3rd overall for a couple of laps with a Cossy nagging at my arse until Ken Lark caught us up and I though it was safer to let em by...
Baby faced Assasin had a mega prang coming out of Charlies behind me which looked a bit scarey but luckilly he got away without too much damage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1IbxDxZ_A
Old 5 Apr 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2667053)   #21
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
You would have to have been quick!
Yes a real shame for you Al. I was looking forward to seeing you race as I know you don't do Mallory. Mine is the camper van you can see on Colin's video between Park and Kris curve. Normally we park down at the Mountain, but it was a bit muddy and I thought we might get bogged down. I thought it was funny that neither of the commentators knew what IROC stood for!
Old 5 Apr 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2667089)   #22
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a really nice way to start the season, there weren't that many ''big off''s, more DNF's through mechanical issues really. Haven't seen 2CVs around Cadwell before and it was bloody close racing!

Pics are all here: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...0Cadwell%2010/

I'll put up a small selection, but post up any you like

Old 5 Apr 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2667184)   #23
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hope you dont mid if a nick a pic of my falcon for the ctcrc forum
thanks andy
Old 5 Apr 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2667226)   #24
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No problem Andy, I'm not a pro-photographer so anyone can use these.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2667343)   #25
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like I missed a good weekend!! Shame it didn't go well for you Al.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's