Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2004, 16:36 (Ref:906071)   #1
Mark Barton
Rookie

Mark Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic 6 Hours at Spa, Sept 2004

Hi All,

I'm busily trying to plan my spectating year, and wondered if anyone here might know anything about the Historic 6 Hours at Spa in September?

I definitely want to take a trip back to Spa, either for the 1000kms LMES or the Historic, but I'm struggling to find any info at all on the latter. For instance, does anyone know what the format is? Is it a 6 hour non-stop race, or is it made up of shorter races over the course of six hours (Ã* la Le Mans Classic)?

Would also be interested to know what might be running, but that's not quite as important. I went to a couple of 1000kms races at Spa in the late '80s so the whole thing's going to be a bit of a nostalgia trip, but ten short races over six hours just wouldn't be the same...

Thanks!
Old 15 Mar 2004, 18:30 (Ref:906190)   #2
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last years Six Hours was a wonderful event. I'm about to request detail of this years myself and will pass on anything I find out
Have a look at my take on last years event
http://www.paulsands.streamlinenet.co.uk/spa/spa.htm
Old 16 Mar 2004, 04:41 (Ref:906677)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Take a look at mine http://www.mallettracing.co.uk from a competitor's veiwpoint. The Pics mostly come from Paul.

Also Zefarrely (sp) who posts here is aiming to run his Cortina GT there this year plus I've no doubt Simon Drabble (anoth 10/10s poster) will be there. Its possibly the best way to visit Spa. No "professional" BS just sheer entertainment from day one to the end.

We've already booked the hotel!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 16 Mar 2004 at 04:42.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 05:22 (Ref:906695)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which hotel Peter?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 07:54 (Ref:906738)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To answer your question the main feature race is a 6 hour race starting at 6pm and finishing at midnight on the Saturday, the rest of the w/e is made up of mostly 1 hour races and a 2.5 hour "Gentlemen Drivers" (basically a pre 65 GT and sportscar (excluding sports prototypes) race. Although there is a heavy emphasis on sports and saloon cars there is normally several historic single seater races and a couple of sports prototype races (gp 4 and 6). And yes hopefully I will be there with my Eleven and possibly my Alfa.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 09:32 (Ref:906822)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We hope to be there to help out other 10/10ths people and compete ourselves . . .probably my favourite weekend of the year, stunning in every sense. and its free to spectate with unrestricted access to virtually everywhere.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 10:09 (Ref:906848)   #7
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's on the 17th > 19th sept this year i'll be racing in the 6 hour race in our E'type and the Historic FF1600 race massive enjoyment factor weekend even when not racing.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 11:10 (Ref:906892)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
...and its free to spectate with unrestricted access to virtually everywhere.
I went in 2002 just to spectate, it is one of the best meetings I've been to. There weren't that many spectactors so you got the run of the place, and could get served quickly at the beer kiosks in the paddock. Well Recommended.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 11:11 (Ref:906894)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I agree on that Guy, and the beers 1 euro a glass. . . bargain !
Old 16 Mar 2004, 12:31 (Ref:906953)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the risk of being a real philistine, which language is spoken in the Ardennes? French? Flemish? Would a smattering of schoolboy French and German get a fellow by at Spa?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 12:45 (Ref:906967)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
yes it would . . . .where we stay is French, most speak it . . .I only do schoolboy/Franglais many speak German also as its fairly near the border.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 13:23 (Ref:906995)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dont worry Tim, even the loo attendants know how to ask for their EUR in English!!
For anyone who is into predominantly 60's racing with a bit of 50's and 70's it is a great weekend. If I only did one race meeting a year it would be this one!
Tim I pm'd you the other day are you at Silverstone on Saturday?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 14:33 (Ref:907062)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the risk of hijacking a thread in my own jurisdiction... yep, I'm around Saturday - from about 2.30. Minding the shop up until then.

Back to Spa, to be honest, I'd prefer to try to cope in French, if only to keep up the practice for the annual trip to la Sarthe. Methinks if I haven't spent all my pocket money at Goodwood a fortnight beforehand I may have to seriously consider this one this year.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 14:44 (Ref:907067)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

that is the problem -May and September become crowded months in the calender. This year I am going to Pau for the first time. I am led to believe it is another fantastic weekend of racing and merriment!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 14:47 (Ref:907070)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I tried speaking French to the guy on the gate when I arrived last year and he said to me in English words to the effect of "we speak Belgian round here mate"
He used the word Belgian too rather than Flemish..however its amazing how "une Hoeggarden s'il vous plait" seems to work
Old 16 Mar 2004, 17:36 (Ref:907252)   #16
Mark Barton
Rookie

Mark Barton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Thanks all for the fantastic response. Looks like an absolutely blinding weekend. Great sites and pics too! I shall submit my report to the rest of Ecurie Barton, but this looks like a must-do weekend, and I can't see them disagreeing.

Paul, no mayo on your frites?! That's hardly entering into the spirit

Thanks again!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 18:21 (Ref:907306)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Mark
It wasnt so much the concept but the quantities that were automatically piled on..."would you like frites with your mayo"
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:04 (Ref:908377)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Paul.

I'm afraid if I told you the name of the hotel I'd have to kill you.

I'll pm it.

Zef. I look forward to seeing you out there this year.

To all. It really does re kindle the racing spirit at the end of a long season.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 20:08 (Ref:908557)   #19
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
It rekindles it so much that cos I couldnt shut up about it I've got to bring my wife this time
Personally I cant think of a better place to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary
Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:34 (Ref:909039)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Paul,

Great another pit crew member! Can she carry a trolley jack?

See your pm's.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:909058)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
trouble is I may also have a by then 5 year old there too
she's good at Goblin slaying
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:51 (Ref:909396)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Paul . . .that trolley Jacks bloody heavy !

no 20th anniversary for us . . .we might be on our honeymoon though !

thanks Pete . . .I'll need an accusump I think !
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:909401)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm thinking of set up.

I tend to run medium rebound on the rear. I'm going to try to run a bit softer this year in the dry. Thoughts anyone?
Old 19 Mar 2004, 08:00 (Ref:910377)   #24
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to www.motorclassic.com then click on the 6 Hours logo.

Instead of "une Hoeggarden s'il vous plait" try "une blanche s'il vous plaît". It works as well.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 08:14 (Ref:910386)   #25
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 Spa Six Hours as if you were there