Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1055110)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changing emotion to speed

I started this thread because I was thinking about Jensons drive at the German GP and thought that the factors of an engine change and banning of the wing would, even if not showing to the public, internally really annoy him and the team.

Having read a book on James Hunt I gather that firstly added a second onto every lap in testing to get him to go faster and also delibratly annoyed him by messing something up or leaving him on the jacks before the race for a long period of time so he would use the pent up angry as a 'driving force' and the reason he was not so good at McLaren was that the smooth running of the team ment he was calm and thus no emotion to drive him onward.

If you where to look at two drives from the same era I would pick Prost and Senna, calculated vs emotional.

Which drives do you think are most effected by emotion and which drive the same whatever happens.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1055129)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James Hunt "not so good" at McLaren?

He won the world title!
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1055195)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some people might be surprised at this, but I think one of the drivers on the current grid who is most significantly affected by emotion is Michael Schumacher. Many times he has channelled his emotions into an enhanced level of motivation, often leading to an inspired victory. The most significant example that springs to mind is Michael's performance in the race just after his mother died.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1055225)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Often channelling anger or emotion into a drive results in a crash rather than speed.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1055230)   #5
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
James Hunt "not so good" at McLaren?

He won the world title!
Compare him to the Hesketh days and wonder how much better he could of been
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:43 (Ref:1055233)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

James got the best results he possibly could have done in 1976, particularly in the circumstances.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 16:06 (Ref:1055254)   #7
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
An interesting subject and I'm sure a paper could be written on this subject (and likely has). IMO, emotion can be directly channelled into a better performance, but only in the short term. Eventually it will bite you. I think it is Schumi's unemotional, calculating side that gives him his speed and I think you'll find that many of the faster drivers over the years have that same ability .. ie. the ability to concentrate at a very high level and not allow emotion to dictate your driving. Of course there are exceptions, JPM for example, some say that emotion is his nemesis, others would argue that emotion is what makes him fast.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1055498)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Some people might be surprised at this, but I think one of the drivers on the current grid who is most significantly affected by emotion is Michael Schumacher. Many times he has channelled his emotions into an enhanced level of motivation, often leading to an inspired victory. The most significant example that springs to mind is Michael's performance in the race just after his mother died.
He wasn't so good at Monza in 2001...

I think Michael with his amazing talents is just brilliant at focusing on the job in hand. His concentration and his intellect is what gives him that edge over other drivers.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1055613)   #9
SKT
Rookie

SKT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i] I think it is Schumi's unemotional, calculating side that gives him his speed and I think you'll find that many of the faster drivers over the years have that same ability .. [/B]
I'd have to agree in regards to MS's particular mental make up. The unemotional calculating side gives him an undeniable reserve over other drivers.

And in regards to JPM, emotion can be just as effective - it is however IMO more difficult to sustain over a race distance but if it works for a driver, it works.

I recall an interview with Eddie Cheever a long time ago regarding his need to really conjure up anger within himself to really get himself mentally prepared for a race - it must have been very tiring or him but, again it worked for him and it seemed like he could call upon this reserve at will.