Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 May 2016, 08:21 (Ref:3642350)   #76
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Does the fact that the cars are 300kg heavier than cars of yesteryear have any bearing on the tyre loads and failures?
Also to add into the debate, is the fact that the tyres are no longer manufactured in the UK have any bearing on the finished products? There would seem to be discussion going on in the historical racing community about the possibility that the Dunlop tyres, that they are mandated to use, are not of the same quality as those that used to be made in the UK, as well as problems around supply issues.
Old 19 May 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3642856)   #77
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2016/...aise-its-game/
Not quite sure where to put this as it's certainly not just related to the BTCC but nevertheless..

Very interesting read on how they want to upgrade the whole circuit at Thruxton and it seems like a very sensible way of doing it as well, looking at improvements to corporate facilities and the spectator experience

The changes to the Church runoff seem to be good as well - not taking away any of the challenge of the circuit and also not laying down miles of tarmac like pretty much everywhere else.
On that matter, I seem to remember some changes having been done to the barriers there? Is my mind playing tricks on me or did they build up some catch fencing and improve the tyre walls on the outside already?
Old 24 May 2016, 17:04 (Ref:3644139)   #78
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
So new tyres all good BUT:

will there be any testing of the new tyres at Thruxton on a hot day? OK, nigh on impossible to say any given day will be hot, but a test day in the summer months might help.

I appreciate Thruxton has a very very limited number of days cars are allowed to run, but really do think for the sake of safety that whatever tyres are being proposed are scheduled for testing in the summer months as opposed to the cold spring. Running in March isn't going to offer a full picture in the way of useful info...

Hopefully no more race 1 shenanigans next year!
Old 25 May 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3644248)   #79
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I realise that this would mean Dunlop taking twice as many tyres, and would give the teams extra work to do, but if additional test days aren't available couldn't the BTCC cars be offered a couple of extra (maybe shorter?) unofficial test sessions on the Saturday to try the new tyres at Thruxton? Hopefully, testing the day before should give similar heat & weather conditions to race day and enable Dunlop & the teams to evaluate the covers?
Old 25 May 2016, 07:57 (Ref:3644256)   #80
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
400 tyres were used at Thruxton. only 4 tyres (1%!!) had failures and 3 of those were from thumping kerbs! Dunlop dont have a problem. Its certain teams that every year go outside dunlops recommendations.
Old 25 May 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3644257)   #81
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
400 tyres were used at Thruxton. only 4 tyres (1%!!) had failures and 3 of those were from thumping kerbs! Dunlop dont have a problem. Its certain teams that every year go outside dunlops recommendations.
James Bailey (Dunlop) has said that their concerns were only related to a single tyre failure. It is this unknown that led to them supporting a reduction in race failure as they did not know what had caused the failure.

If all of the failures had been caused by teams going outside recommendations, the races probably would have remained full length as there would be a known cause and risk level. The unknown risk was the problem, in much the same way that the Subaru's did not run due to a unknown risk probability of fuel lines.
Old 25 May 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3644264)   #82
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
who knows how many more tyres would have failed in race 1 if the red was not red flagged early
Old 26 May 2016, 09:16 (Ref:3644505)   #83
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Tyre failures were a major issue, no matter how you dress up the statistics.

What's the take with the kerbs at Thruxton? Why does hitting them cause this issue at this track, but less so in other places? Is it that the kerbs need redesigning?

I seem to remember that the teams said that they were within the parameters set by Dunlop, or is my memory playing up? If car setups with camber and tyre pressures etc. are outside Dunlops recommendations, do the teams get penalised?
Old 26 May 2016, 10:16 (Ref:3644515)   #84
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd think that hitting the kerbs is similar to hitting the kerbs at most other circuits, it's just that the nature of Thruxton as a circuit means that the effect of this is exacerbated somewhat. Not that I'm an expert in tyre wear or circuit abrasion.