Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Sep 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2279343)   #26
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what I can remember Jelley was already off and yellow flags were being waved. The doctors car then came across from the assembly area just before the train arrived. Then the usual happens - the flags were missed (yellow and white), the lot bunch up (and they were already pretty tight), Collard pushed Micky off and Turner had no where to go and wacked him in the side.

Brilliant drive though from 17th to 8th for Micky, overtaking the new Civics with ease. Pity it wasn't shown on the box because you missed an artist at work there but at least they mentioned him.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2279350)   #27
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
The TV mentioned several times about Jelleys dislocated shoulder

He's been "dislocated" all season, good first race from him but then the usual form appears again, BTCC is no place for him but I am pleased he has at least given his car and the team at least one race of potential.

My annoyance with Jelley is the wasted chance in a top line drive, nothing more and would assume he feels the same.

Last edited by Icebaby; 1 Sep 2008 at 12:26.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2279387)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
The two doctors' cars were called out and came on track at Brooklands just as the field was approaching the bridge. Inevitable not everyone saw the flags and backed off in time, Collard and Vaulkhard in particular were still fighting for position. In the confusion Doyle was tagged and got sideways and Turner was left with no where to go.
The TV coverage always mentions that in a Safety Car situation, the drivers are still racing to the line. Is this the case, or does the whole track instantly become a 'full-course yellow', or possibly somewhere inbetween?

Hopefully someone can clarify what the rules actually state?
Old 1 Sep 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2279392)   #29
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they wave yellow flags on the run to the line, you are not allowed to overtake, so it probably depends on where the accident has happened. If the drivers can race to the line safely, they start yellowflagging from there i suppose.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2279495)   #30
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
from what I can remember Jelley was already off and yellow flags were being waved. The doctors car then came across from the assembly area just before the train arrived. Then the usual happens - the flags were missed (yellow and white), the lot bunch up (and they were already pretty tight), Collard pushed Micky off and Turner had no where to go and wacked him in the side....
From what i saw on tele Doyle got caught by collard and Turner lost it by himself and slid into Doyle as he was trying to get out of the gravel
Old 2 Sep 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2279964)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From what i saw on tele Doyle got caught by collard and Turner lost it by himself and slid into Doyle as he was trying to get out of the gravel
IIRC, Turner put his accident down to losing control following damage sustained earlier after contact with Giovanardi.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2280201)   #32
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
27,000 it looked an awful let less than that from where I was sat.
It appeared that most of them were at Woodcote, sheltering from the rain.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2280607)   #33
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
It appeared that most of them were at Woodcote, sheltering from the rain.
Not a great turn out really, BTCC still has a long way to go before getting back to the crowds of super touring. Still need more works teams in paying quality drivers as there's too many paying for their drives who are not performing in such a high profile championship.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2280608)   #34
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the wether and the competing DTM-race, it isn't to bad I think. But more stardrivers and -cars will offcourse help raise the numbers more.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2281129)   #35
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that's what I meant - no-where to go, lost it, slid sideways into the gravel, and wacked Micky in the side.

The safety car was going out so yellows from the start line and therefore they can race up to the line BUT yellows and white at the accident so they should have slowed down with no passing until they pass the green flag.

It amazes me that in this day we still depend on flags and eyes
Old 3 Sep 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2281149)   #36
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Not a great turn out really, BTCC still has a long way to go before getting back to the crowds of super touring. Still need more works teams in paying quality drivers as there's too many paying for their drives who are not performing in such a high profile championship.
BTCC crowds weren't much different to today in the Supertouring era.
I think you are probably falling for the nostalgia.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2281172)   #37
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
that's what I meant - no-where to go, lost it, slid sideways into the gravel, and wacked Micky in the side.
And he lost it because his car was damaged by Giovanardi who has been fined and given points for the offence.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2281203)   #38
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I don't think Gio did anything out of the ordinary that others wouldn't dish out.
It still made me feel disgusted, especially since I was so enjoying last year when he showed how you could race hard, but fair, and still become the champion in BTCC.

But with ****ty moves like that I can't say he is now less of a rotten apple than the rest. In fact, after this weekend, I would say both eg Neal and Plato have raced more fair than Gio this year. Certainly wasn't thinking I would say that at the start of current season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
It amazes me that in this day we still depend on flags and eyes
On this past weekends STCC racetrack (Knutstorp) they have replaced the flags with a light signal system. According to what I read drivers seem to like it due to it being a lot easier to notice than a waving flag. I assume that partially depends on them being able to place these lights in better places, in more direct line of sight of the drivers, but where you would not like to have a human standing waving a flag. Hopefully more tracks will switch to such lights as well in the future.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2281237)   #39
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only problem with lights is if there set up the same way as the ones at the GP.
Which stayed on red even when they were supposed to be green

Lights controlled from each marshals post may work well though
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2281247)   #40
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The lights at Knutstorp are all controlled directly from the race control office. I presume though that they have some fail safety mechanisms in place, not to mention some spare flags in the marshals posts in case of a power failure.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 07:00 (Ref:2281378)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
The lights at Knutstorp are all controlled directly from the race control office.
From previous discussions in the Marshals' forum, that is not always a good idea. Race Control either need to wait for a request from someone on site before turning the lights on or have to monitor a bank of CC TV monitors and hope they spot the accident. A marshal on site with a flag can react a lot quicker.

As someone has posted earlier in this thread, there are lights on the bridge and the approach to Brooklands so it was actually a combination of lights and flags. Whatever system you use, unless you can link it warning lights on the dashboard you are always going to rely on drivers catching something in their peripheral vision which when they are mid-field and battling for position is never going to be ideal. The in-car warning lights have been trialled in F1 (maybe still used) but rely on a way of identifying where on the circuit the car is so that the light is only shown at the correct corner. It's not a cheap system and probably not viable outside of F1.