Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Sep 2002, 07:00 (Ref:381269)   #76
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
They do Ian.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:12 (Ref:382405)   #77
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To follow on from the Playstation comment - I owned an original Playstation and have the new one, but I can't see how this would affect my attitudes to driving standards and safety. I'm a trainee Marshal, and to back up Pumpkin's comments, when we see drivers bashing into other cars, we tend to wonder which barrier they're going to hit, whether we'll need the rescue unit, and how long it'll take to clear up the mess.

Some of the drivers may well have been influenced by what they've seen elsewhere (Clio drivers being a good example of what the more experienced Marshals like to call 'hooligans'), maybe the fact that injuries have become rarer (thanks to improvements in car design) means that some of the younger drivers don't fully appreciate the risks they are taking?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:40 (Ref:382435)   #78
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Very true ad - actually the sad thing is that when I see this happening on the Playstation, I find myself doing the same thing - where's he going to come off, is he going to roll, and I'm groping around my living room for my fire extinguisher!
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:07 (Ref:383390)   #79
jamesb
Rookie

jamesb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would the MSA react to a full blow marshal march in London to have ALL new racing drivers (ie. part of the ARDS course) attend a race meeting as a trained marshal. This means that ALL drivers know the risks as they have been trained to drag dead mangled bodies from twisted burning wreaks. The by product is a lot of people trained as marshals who can support motorsport even when they are not racing. For instance, I had an engine blow in practise at Lyddon. I could have signed on and helped the marshals in the race if I had been trained.

Maybe this is a valuable deterant as well. Instead of handing out race bans (holidays?) a driver can do "comunity service" attending 3, or 5 meetings as a marshal. Maybe attending the next round in his series as a marshal as a race ban with a twist?

There may be many drivers and marshals about to post now wanting my blood for suggesting this, but I think if enough people agree it may be worth looking at as all drivers could benefit (extra signitures) and marshals have extra numbers (read "tea makers") at events. Naughty boys/girls get to watch their friends have fun while they clean up the mess they make, and circuits get safer as a result.

Just an idea, I'd go for it. By the way, I would like to marshal an event for a change and to get an understanding of how it all works. Anyone offer me advice on how to get into it?
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:12 (Ref:383395)   #80
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesb
Maybe this is a valuable deterant as well. Instead of handing out race bans (holidays?) a driver can do "comunity service" attending 3, or 5 meetings as a marshal. Maybe attending the next round in his series as a marshal as a race ban with a twist?
Actually, that is not a bad idea at all
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:19 (Ref:383401)   #81
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMOC have already implemented part of you suggestion - if a novice driver transgresses during his signature period he can be required to spend a day out on the bank as punishment.

I have had a couple of such drivers on post with me over the last few years and each one seemed to enjoy the experience - it was also a 2-way learning experience as I gained some insight into the drivers view of things. Normally we as marshals only meet drivers who are not in the best frame of mind - having just dropped it or blown it.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:23 (Ref:383404)   #82
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesb
For instance, I had an engine blow in practise at Lyddon. I could have signed on and helped the marshals in the race if I had been trained.
I'm sure you would have been made welcome, trained or not!

Quote:
By the way, I would like to marshal an event for a change and to get an understanding of how it all works. Anyone offer me advice on how to get into it?
We've got two meetings left at Oulton this year; I'll happily sort out the details for you.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:25 (Ref:383405)   #83
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Anyone object if I post this idea on another marshals forum to gauge response?
Old 18 Sep 2002, 18:04 (Ref:383591)   #84
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
We've got two meetings left at Oulton this year;
Oops, make that three!
Old 19 Sep 2002, 22:26 (Ref:384458)   #85
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If as a driver you'd like to spend a day or more on the bank, just contact your club and ask for the Marshal's secretary. Alternatively you'd be welcome to turn up on the day as long as you can gain entry. You don't need training in advance as you would receive full instruction in the basics on post and be looked after by an experienced marshal. If you wanted to take some training, again contact the marshal's secretary who will be happy to invite you to a training day. I can guarantee any driver a warm welcome on the bank from all the guys and gals in orange, black, white, blue, red shoes, etc! We're only frightening if you overtake under yellows when we're treackside...
Old 20 Sep 2002, 07:01 (Ref:384625)   #86
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Not at all Neil, please go ahead.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 11:45 (Ref:384757)   #87
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, what about team owners should they spend a day on the bank? Team owners have been known to instruct their drivers to push others off the track if they cant get by, especially if a championship isa stack. I know of one such incident in a FF race but the offending driver went off as well and was alos diqualified. A lot of presure is on these guys and gals to get results for their sponsors.

I hope I am not being to critical of team owners, as most of them will stick to fair play, but it is just a thought.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 12:37 (Ref:384784)   #88
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This means that ALL drivers know the risks as they have been trained to drag dead mangled bodies from twisted burning wreaks.
Bloody hell, what sort of meetings do you go to? I hope I'm never there!

I assume this was meant to be tongue in cheek but for information nobody drags drivers from cars, this would be very unprofessional, something which cannot be levelled at the vast majority of British Marshals of whatever discipline!
Old 20 Sep 2002, 13:26 (Ref:384822)   #89
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Teletubby

Bloody hell, what sort of meetings do you go to? I hope I'm never there!

I assume this was meant to be tongue in cheek but for information nobody drags drivers from cars, this would be very unprofessional, something which cannot be levelled at the vast majority of British Marshals of whatever discipline!
Very true oh fuzzy one - we know better.

But I HAVE seen drivers do this to other drivers - usually so they have a better angle to take a swing at them from.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 20 Sep 2002 at 13:27.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 13:31 (Ref:384825)   #90
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Martin, best you don't take your big red van to Ireland!
Old 20 Sep 2002, 14:00 (Ref:384852)   #91
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaaaah I can smell the guinness already to be sure begorrah.....
Martin and I have discussed earlier in the season inviting drivers and team principals to a training day, so they can see first hand what we do and why we need to do it...
watch this space