Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Dec 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1476524)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Images at V8supercar website

I was on the official V8Supercar website this morning, taking a look at the photos from the Phillip Island round...

There are a couple of car designs I wanted to keep the pictures of, the Dynamik pair with their new livery, and the rarely seen blue Britek car,

Imagine my surprise when I go there, when the small photos are unable to be downloaded, the way they were able to since the site started. The old right click of the mouse button, save to the hard drive meant I managed to have shots that were most useful for screen backgrounds, and showing off the nice cars that are in our favourite sport.

Presuming this was a technical glitch, I pondered the other way you can get photos onto your hard drive... using the old 'print screen' method.

But something was wrong with the images...

... on closer inspection they have a big watermark on them, on the small images, and on the exploded one you can also launch.

"www.v8supercar.com.au" sits in white in the middle of the photographs.

Now forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought the intention of having pics of the cars was for the reason I mentioned earlier, to help get more people interested in the sport, give them some nice picture to put on their desktop to remind them of their heroes, of the good times, of the nice paintwork.

But these watermarks dont allow this to happen. There is no point downloading a watermarked image, because quite frankly, it looks craap.

I cant remember seeing other sports with images of their players, their grounds, their famous events, being slapped across the middle with a website logo.

This little douvre appeared at the bottom of the pics on the website some months ago "Images displayed in the V8 Supercar Photo Gallery cannot be used without prior approval from AVESCO. Click here for more details."

So you "click here" and there is a whole load of stuff coming up, the most important seems to be:

AVESCO Intellectual Property
Unless otherwise indicated, AVESCO owns the copyright in the content on this website. Some of the copyright in the content may be owned by someone else and is included on our website under a licence or agreement.

You may only access and use the content for non-commercial or personal use unless you have prior written approval from us. You may print out any content on this website for your personal use. All other use, copying or reproduction of this website or any part of it is prohibited (except to the extent permitted by law). None of the content or any part of it may be reproduced on any other Internet website.

If you seek to reproduce or otherwise use the content in any way it is your responsibility to obtain approval for such use where necessary.

AVESCO is the owner of several registered trademarks which appear on this website. Use of these trademarks will infringe our intellectual property rights.

All fine and dandy.... but the pictures that are on the official website are now as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

I wonder how many less hits their website will have now that the photos on there are not able to be downloaded. And the impact on the development of the sport amongst old fans and new fans alike because of this change in policy......
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1476528)   #2
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes I noticed that GTR when I tried to download the PI photo's and then I noticed they have done the same to all the rounds photos.Just another money grabbing scheme by v8$upercar australia.

I was going to start a thread about this same thing the monday after PI but I thought it was not worth it, could I be wrong.

Well done GTR.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1476537)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought it was my PC acting up initially... I tried it somewhere else, and got the same result.

You can download all the pics you want on the touring car challenge website... or indeed on most of the team's websites.... just not at the "official" one
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:49 (Ref:1476546)   #4
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I have it, but would this apply to those with Bigpond Broadband? Surely that would make a few punters pretty happy if they couldnt download their favoutire images via their Telstra Broadband.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1476549)   #5
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what about all the photos I took at Bathurst???

Will the AVESCO/V8SA Nazis want them back too???
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1476553)   #6
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
So what about all the photos I took at Bathurst???

Will the AVESCO/V8SA Nazis want them back too???
Give them time AP they will most probly have people on the gates at the end of a race meet ask for the films/computercard form the fans camera in 2006.

Again more money for Aussie Bernie already overflowing pockets.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1476560)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I thought it was my PC acting up initially... I tried it somewhere else, and got the same result.
Now why V8 Supercars Australia would pick on you as an isolated case is far beyond most of us here, GTR

Seriously, I noticed this too and went and then proceeded to wonder if it was right to bring it up myself on here or wait for the to occur....which it duly has.

This is a shocking indictment on our sport if there is going to be a watermark across all official photos, and will ensure that as of now, all my desktops and and backgrounds and self-made screensavers will only be of VY/Z Commodes and BA Falcons.

You have to wonder if this is tall poppy syndrone in recognance of Ingall's bridesmaid-shaking weekend.

Its hard not be be critical here, but one needs to mix words carefully.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:41 (Ref:1476563)   #8
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Do motorsport.com have pics from v8 supercars, they cover lots of other series
Old 4 Dec 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1476567)   #9
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you can't download the pics any more then it begs the obvious question.

Why have a photo gallery at all?
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 4 Dec 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1476577)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

Bloody good question.... I cannot fathom a credible answer
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:01 (Ref:1476583)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:

That is one question we could all ask Aussie Bernie.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:12 (Ref:1476586)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i guess some people spoiled it vfor everyone

print a pic out from the v8 supercar site, get it signed, flog it off for some cash on ebay.

as per normal the minority spoil it for the majority
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1476587)   #13
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh Peck.
How did I know you would leap to the defense of the VESA site.

Because you are their biggest supporter, and by the tone of your ever so supportive posts it's always someone elses fault.....
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:19 (Ref:1476588)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is an outrage of epic proportions.

The photos I looked at don't have a watermark and can be retrieved from your internet cache.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:20 (Ref:1476589)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
biggest supporter/ uncle crankers arch nemisis

sorry that i dont see a scandal in someone protecting their intellectual property, welcome to the new millenium.

why give something away, when you can sell it and make money, sound business practise as the person who started this thread would know.

Im not sure why you care cranker, its not like you care about the v8 series other than to pour crap allover it at every opportunity
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1476590)   #16
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of us aren't blinded by the AVE$CO/VESA bulldust they attempt to force feed us.

But each are entitled to an opinion, yours & mine are different.

Once upon a time that was refered to as healthy debate, on an Internet Forum, it's called flaming...........
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1476591)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
some of us are not blinded by pure hate, so we can still see the good in things and can overlook the faults because the positives outweigh the negatives.

But sorry to those people who cant access free photos anymore, gues you will just have to goto a race and take your on
Old 4 Dec 2005, 03:43 (Ref:1476593)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So is that why the V8SA mob still only pay $25 a photograph??? 200 of them, like in the Phillip Island gallery would cost $5k... but what precisely is the point if they are not available without the watermark?

Autopics sell their shots of a similar size for $10+ per download.... is this V8SA's plan too?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1476594)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
https://www.v8supercar.com.au/conten...us/default.asp

maybe this can help, send them a request for information and then we will know the answer
Old 4 Dec 2005, 05:00 (Ref:1476600)   #20
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The interesting thing here that has only been slightly alluded to is V8$A's attempt, once again, to claim ownership of photo's they do NOT have any legal rights to. By attempting to claim copyright to them, even if they are dispayed on their web site, is totally contrary to the Copyright Act.

Copyright exists in a work - published or otherwise, by the original artist only - NOT by someone buying that work - and this includes photographs.
AVESCO attempted to do this some years ago trying to force all credentialed photographers to sign over the copyright for ANY photos or images they took at a V8 meeting - it failed then and a few phone calls to the right people will see it fail again.

However - that aside, the question actually should be - 'Have V8$A properly acknowledged ownership of these photos they are watermarking?' And, if not - why not?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 05:07 (Ref:1476601)   #21
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Again more money for Aussie Bernie and v8$upercar Australia already overflowing pockets.
I repeat myself again for you peckstar
Old 4 Dec 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1476604)   #22
Bucket_O_Beef
Rookie

Bucket_O_Beef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All you have to do is click and hold the mouse button and you can drag the image onto your computer.

And then do what you want with it.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 05:52 (Ref:1476612)   #23
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the watermark has 'disappeared'?
Old 4 Dec 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1476619)   #24
Bucket_O_Beef
Rookie

Bucket_O_Beef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've loaded up a few images. the watermark is barely noticable in most of them. Looking at some older rounds, there's no watermarks there. It might detract from some images a little, but is it that big of a deal? If the pictures are going to be used on a desktop, there are icons that are placed over the image anyway.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1476621)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
I repeat myself again for you peckstar
and AVESCO is predominatly owned by who ?