Mark Webber 3 1.80%
Other 1 0.60%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Jul 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2245874)   #51
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
voted Lewis - outstanding job

I did enjoy Nicks overtaking manouvers.
Am very happy to see Rubinho at the podium - great tactic with extream wets.

I am thinking - how many spuns Nakajima had - quite many - but still managed to come in points.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 23:53 (Ref:2245892)   #52
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis. He was the class of the field. Rubens gets my honourable mention - would have been my pick on most other days.

Disappointed that Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull got their tyre calls wrong mid-race.

I think Raikkonen and Alonso were both capable of running with Hamilton if they had the right tyres at the right time. And Webber was charging through the field - all three were charging hard before they pitted and chose to remain on old intermediates.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2245900)   #53
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
I definitely think he did enough to be DOTR.
As much as I like MW,he threw a good chance of winning his first race down the toilet.

Quote:
If Webber was in the McLaren it would have been a great race, so if you squint your eyes and concentrate really hard, you can just imagine yourself maybe seeing Webber as DOTR.. so that's enough for me.
You'd have to squint really,really,really hard to the point where you were legally blind.

Last edited by Marbot; 7 Jul 2008 at 00:24.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 00:50 (Ref:2245913)   #54
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for pure, unblemished driving skill: lewis

i must admit that i was hoping he would slip up, but to his credit, he just never looked like it.

Really happy for Rubens as well, but much of his success can be attributed to the extreme wets he was running.

Nick was brilliant, and totally outclassed those he was directly racing, well, all apart from lewis.

Good to see Nakajima show his strength as well in another tricky race. He has to be "rookie of the year" by quite some margin. Has been much better, and far more mature than i think everyone expected.

massa, webber, rosberg, glock, heikki and even raikkonnen (apart from the first stint) were quite disappointing.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 01:23 (Ref:2245922)   #55
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis was faultless, anf I never thought I would say that this year!
Dunno if the monsoons were down to Rubens or Ross, but they proved just how dumb every other team strategist was on the day.
Nice drive Nick, when smoothness is needed you can produce.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 02:19 (Ref:2245933)   #56
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

If Webber was in the McLaren it would have been a great race, so if you squint your eyes and concentrate really hard, you can just imagine yourself maybe seeing Webber as DOTR.. so that's enough for me.

LOL, it coulda been by far the funniest post of the thread, too bad you actually went on voting for Webber indeed ... now thats sad
Old 7 Jul 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2245947)   #57
flashing
Rookie

flashing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be Lewis Hamilton.

I have always asked myself one question when analysing post race driver performance.

How much was car, how much was driver?

You only have to look at who finished second and third and the answer writes itself.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 04:43 (Ref:2245957)   #58
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hamilton or Barichello??

Even though I'm not a big fan, it has to be Lewis Hamilton, he was in a league of his own, he drove superbly he was the driver of the race.

But close behind would be Rubens, so happy to see him on the podium again and made me laugh when he jumped on the Honda guys in parc ferme and they fell over!! And even more so knowing how bad the car was he did a great job in very trying conditions. Good for you Rubens!!!
Old 7 Jul 2008, 06:03 (Ref:2245980)   #59
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First time I haven't voted for Webber this year, because to be frank he didn't exactly excite did he?

Oh well, at least there was a truly deserving recipient instead.

RUBENS!

This may well be the final podium finish of his career. In which case, thank you for the exciting career you've had and we've been priveliged to watch.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 7 Jul 2008, 06:07 (Ref:2245982)   #60
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went for Rubens, as his car did not belong anywhere in the top 3.

Great drive from Hamilton though.[/quote]

lets have more rain !
Old 7 Jul 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2245984)   #61
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lewis for me.
Rubens had a great drive, however the strategy played as much in his position as his driving.
Lewis was on the same tyres as nearly every other driver, yet was 6secs a lap quicker at times.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2246015)   #62
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it has to be Nick. He was supreme in racing other cars and overtaking for position and ran well all race. Proving that if he gets his qualifying right he has to be considered one of the best racers on the grid.

Lewis was a very close second, and only lost out because in my eyes whilst having a great race, it was the folly of others (Ferrari, Renault, RBR and BMW) by not putting their cars on the right tyres that made him look as great as the result suggests. All the pressure was lifted off Lewis and allowed to nuckle down and just punch out laps from the front and get the benefit of blue flags in traffic.

So Nick for me, by the smallest of margins.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2246020)   #63
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could'nt vote for anybody but Hamilton really. Though, like everyone else, I'd like to acknowledge good drives by RB and NH.

NPP
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2246027)   #64
Adam RR
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast, Australia
Adam RR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What, no option for Massa?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:33 (Ref:2246031)   #65
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely he'd be more in the running for "most entertaining drive" of the race?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2246038)   #66
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Massa spins.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2246048)   #67
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens!
With a mad priest running again cross the track, he could have repeated 2003!
Old 7 Jul 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2246056)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
We had 'mad hares' this year.Will Silverstone be fined by the FIA for having animals wandering around the circuit I wonder ?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2246081)   #69
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was nothing compared to the suicidal squirrels, performing in Montreal and Monza.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2246083)   #70
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm struggling to see how anybody other than Lewis could take DotR. It was one of the greatest ever performances at a British Grand Prix.

Its important to understand that in the wet, car performance is less significant to driver performance and this is why people like Schumacher and Senna could pull up to 4 seconds a lap faster than their peers through sheer skill alone. In the dry, its almost all down to car performance, there's very little difference a world class driver can make to the package.

Lewis' performance yesterday was no different to Senna's in Estoril in April 1985, a day back then when I felt in my gut Senna had arrived and nothing would be the same again. Though he did well in 2007, it was yesterday that I had that same feeling as 23 years ago.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2246129)   #71
flashing
Rookie

flashing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And even though Ferrari definitely made an error with their tyre choice at the first stop, any analysis of comparative lap times of Lewis/Kimi later in the race (even after Lewis’s second stop when their tyre and fuel loads were aligned) shows that Kimi was pretty much always losing ground.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2246161)   #72
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Pete_58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to vote for Hamilton as driver of the day. Got second off the start, pushed for the lead, and when he got it (did heikki leave him room, or was it a mistake?!) just pretty much ran away with it. Was helped by the poor strategies by the other teams, what were Ferrari thinking??? Still lewis just got on with it and brought it home.

Also have to acknowledge Rubens and Nick Heidfelds drives. Rubens seemed so happy in the press confrence, as he should have! And Nick Heidfeld put in a good drive aswell. Maybe His season is starting to improve?

Felt so so sorry for Mark webber though! Put in a storming Quali Drive then span early on, undoing that hard work!
Old 7 Jul 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2246179)   #73
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Heidfeld for me - flawless overtaking in tricky conditions. Good to see Rubens up on the podium too. Solid drives again from Nakajima and Trulli as well.

Massa - found wanting again when the rain falls. "Der regenmeister" he is not. "Der regen" is closer
Old 7 Jul 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2246188)   #74
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It has to be Hamilton, Rubens played the Right choice and it paid off.
I don't know why others didn't plug for the full wet options ? but I know from my own experience (having out performed Adrian Newey's Ferrari in my Anglebox) that having the right tyre's at the right time you are on another planet. That makes Hamilton's win even more amazing in my eyes.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jul 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2246248)   #75
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vote goes to Lewis Hamilton. Just being himself, one of the finest drivers ever.

I think Kimi was very solid though, despite the utterly slow reaction of the team, he avoided his race to go completely awry.