Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jan 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3954742)   #2126
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm agreeing with your position Mike. I just don't see the logic despite Brexit. Hey ho.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 12:38 (Ref:3954743)   #2127
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a big difference in the quality of expertise and service between the banks. I've had a lot of experience with most banks, including overseas banks, over the years and even within the better banks expertise and service has declined to a woeful degree. Many years ago when I was learning the accountancy trade it was drummed in to us by the firms partners that when auditing companies books and accounts the one thing that could be taken as gospel was that the banks records were always right and if there were discrepancies between company and bank records then the bank was always right. In these days of banks protecting their obscene bonuses they employ (relatively) low paid staff with poor training and practices. Despite the oversight of the financial services regulators (or whatever they are now called) banks are left to do almost what they like and the shareholders and customers do not have the safety net of truly independent non executive directors to keep the executive directors in line. If you look at the CVs of the non exec directors they are mostly an old boys/girls club of the same batch of folks doing the rounds of the non exec posts in each others companies. Those non exec directors of the failed banks of not so long ago should have been banned from being directors and sued for their negligence.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3954749)   #2128
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's true, some banks are better than others. It's good to keep in contact with your bank and having myself changed banks once, it's important to choose the right one for you. Certainly this uncertain can't have helped the way banks operate. Of course some banks can be a stickler to their records, which doesn't help when dealing with them. I just hope things improve for those workers who don't get much. It doesn't help the bank's reputation when things like that happen. Of course the execs are usually bought from other companies where they have the experience of big business. Of course if there was any justice in the world those at the top who ruined banks would be at the very least blacklisted for future employment. Harsh perhaps, but then why should banks be different from other big companies?
Old 31 Jan 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3954760)   #2129
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still get a few small company dividend cheques during a year. Some are ridiculously tiny so I just keep them until I have enough to make it worth going to a bank to pay them in.

Company dividend cheques are valid for 12 months rather than 6.

So about a year or so back I went to pay in about 4 cheques, on of which, for a few pence was about 9 months old.

The girl on the counter rejected it based on age. I thought she was wrong to do so but for a few pence was not bothered to discuss it at that time as there was a long queue building up. Later I took a better look and of course the Valid for 12 months is printed on the cheque in small print.

Fortuitously some more cheques appeared a few weeks later and I was heading to the area to do some shopping so popped in, re-presented and all was well.

Different person of course. Visiting the remains of the branch now far less than used to be the case the staff seem to be different each time. The long term regulars are gone.

Many of the more experienced staff are now at a point where they are just awaiting their redundancy offers. Those that are nearing retirement age are especially keen to to get a significant payoff shortly before what would have been their retirement anyway. If they are in Branch banking (but not working the cashier desks) they are likely to be lucky.

Don't expect the human service to improve. The machines, however, do seem pretty good, especially the automated cheque and pay-in slip reading stuff.

Until they break.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 14:07 (Ref:3954779)   #2130
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m not even going to try to fathom out what post #2128 is about.

Peter, I’ve just been digging and it appears that retrospectively the parties involved denied that the credit card withdrawal I mentioned was brexit related! Just coincidence it was the day before we were supposed to leave the EU....
Old 31 Jan 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3954784)   #2131
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m not even going to try to fathom out what post #2128 is about.
Mmmm, similar nonsensical comments on other threads
Old 31 Jan 2020, 17:37 (Ref:3954816)   #2132
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Do you think this will change the charges on bank transfers at least for people, not companies?
Old 31 Jan 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3954818)   #2133
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Do you think this will change the charges on bank transfers at least for people, not companies?
Probably not unless the banks want to use it as an excuse to increase their prices for the service. International transfers only cost me £2.50 through a currency broker and I get a much better rate of exchange than the banks too.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3954822)   #2134
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I see… I wish you can keep it like that the fees from a regular bank are more than twenty times yours. To give you an idea, we've better go through Paypal for instance and this service isn't cheap.
Thanks, you gave me a good idea.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 22:18 (Ref:3954871)   #2135
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I use PayPal, it's also much quicker. If it's a bit more expensive I am happy to pay for its convenience. When I buy from my German supplier the rate is pretty keen too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Feb 2020, 14:04 (Ref:3955006)   #2136
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I was amused by the choice of vehicle for this display of nationalism last night. Surely Del Boy’s Reliant would have been more appropriate!
Attached Thumbnails
548A0950-6534-47A2-BCD2-9E54D025FCD2.jpg  
Old 1 Feb 2020, 15:04 (Ref:3955012)   #2137
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Not been outside today. Has everything changed?
Old 1 Feb 2020, 15:08 (Ref:3955013)   #2138
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Not been outside today. Has everything changed?

Yes, without doubt. The grass is much greener, and the sky is a nice shade of red, white and blue!
Old 1 Feb 2020, 15:44 (Ref:3955014)   #2139
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
That's good. All been worth it then!
Old 1 Feb 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3955031)   #2140
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I was amused by the choice of vehicle for this display of nationalism last night. Surely Del Boy’s Reliant would have been more appropriate!
Why did they chose a german car, I wonder? Yes a Reliant would be appropriate, it turns upside down very quickly! Anyway, the GBP is still doing good as always.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 19:38 (Ref:3955326)   #2141
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Found on another Motorsport forum I frequent, posted by a German friend of mine. It appealed to my simple sense of humour!

Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3955662)   #2142
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The machines, however, do seem pretty good, especially the automated cheque and pay-in slip reading stuff.

Until they break.
The automated cheque deposit machine thingy in my local(ish) branch is pretty good - saves queuing up and talking to a bored/grumpy person behind the counter. Even better is the 'pay in a cheque' option on the mobile banking app - take a photo of the cheque in the app and bingo it's paid in. Don't even have to go near the bank - which is lucky as they closed the one in the village and the nearest branch is only open during working hours Monday - Friday now (used to be open Saturday morning as well but not any more).
Old 4 Feb 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3955709)   #2143
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why did they chose a german car, I wonder? Yes a Reliant would be appropriate, it turns upside down very quickly! Anyway, the GBP is still doing good as always.

Well, originally an Italian car but also built in the UK.

https://www.isetta.org.uk/page16.html

Old 4 Feb 2020, 19:06 (Ref:3955721)   #2144
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very nicely written story, thanks for that Grant. We had a lot of Isettas in Paris streets when it became hard to find a park place. A pricey collector now, specially the 600 version.
Do you think you can tell a proud M3 or I3 owner that this wonderful piece of kit saved BMW from closing down as said in this article? Other sources state it was too expensive to be produced in Germany.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3955730)   #2145
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Very nicely written story, thanks for that Grant. We had a lot of Isettas in Paris streets when it became hard to find a park place. A pricey collector now, specially the 600 version.
Do you think you can tell a proud M3 or I3 owner that this wonderful piece of kit saved BMW from closing down as said in this article? Other sources state it was too expensive to be produced in Germany.

I think it's the sort of vehicle that needs to be produced very close to its market place. Considering the potential selling price the smallest manufacturing and delivery overheads would be necessary and transport, back then at least but maybe still not so different now, would need to be small.

There is a small collection around here with (I think) an Isetta, a Messerschmitt, another I'm not sure about but fibreglass bodied iirc and a JZR kit car.

Of course if anyone fancies a Peel replica they can cost up to £25k new.

The same company is also doing an EV version with. apparently, a 250 mile range. Watch out Tesla!

https://p50cars.com/
Old 5 Feb 2020, 07:00 (Ref:3955790)   #2146
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The P50 is now famous in France, thanks to Jeremy Clarkson! Generally, all those tiny cars are nicknamed suppository for autobus!
Old 5 Feb 2020, 11:34 (Ref:3955848)   #2147
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

The idea of building a P50 for local shopping trips quite appeals (in an absurd way) but with so little space evident inside driver cubicle an "estate" version might be required.

I would also be slightly concerned about its abilities over speed humps.

Could be amusing though. Maybe not so amusing at the price for the kit.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3955876)   #2148
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hopefully we’ve now exhausted the Peel and Isetta conversation.....
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:57 (Ref:3955886)   #2149
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hopefully we’ve now exhausted the Peel and Isetta conversation.....
Sorry Mike, but I've always found microcars an interesting subject. maybe it's something to do with when I was born (1956) then growing up with a strong interest in cars. They were certainly quirky & different!
Old 5 Feb 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3955903)   #2150
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sorry Mike, but I've always found microcars an interesting subject. maybe it's something to do with when I was born (1956) then growing up with a strong interest in cars. They were certainly quirky & different!
Oh, I totally agree, but perhaps not on this thread!

BTW it’s all my fault for posting the newspaper pic in the first place!