Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 2020, 06:05 (Ref:3973906)   #1476
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Two maps published, one shows the circulation of the virus at the moment the other you mention shows areas where the emergencies services are overcrowed. Totally out of control.
Old 1 May 2020, 06:13 (Ref:3973907)   #1477
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Two maps published, one shows the circulation of the virus at the moment the other you mention shows areas where the emergencies services are overcrowed. Totally out of control.
Both of M's sisters have gone down with it in the last week. One recovered very quickly but is still in quarantine. The other one only got it yesterday; she has asthma which didn't help...
Old 1 May 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3973930)   #1478
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cher Gerard, I think the attached article says that testing will be allowed from mid May with racing for <5000 attendees from August. Plus tax breaks for people sponsoring sport. Please confirm!

https://kart-actu.com/covid-19-plan-...tomobile/2020/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3973952)   #1479
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dear Max, from my understanding this is a list of suggestions made by our fédération to the ministry in charge. In other words what they would like to be allowed to do.
The first answer is that outdoor activities could be allowed from 11 May under some conditions: no contact, 10 people maximum, safety distance 10 meters with minimum 4 square meters for each person all wearing the health devices.
Every thing is subject to the local situation.

If you read between the lines, there are a lot of "would like", "suggest" and "may be". I do understand this won't help much you but given the circumstances…
Old 1 May 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3973953)   #1480
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
As to sponsoring I see nothing specific, they just ask to take in count that around 13 500 people are involved in this field and that this business represents a total of 2.3 B of €.
Old 1 May 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3973956)   #1481
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Gerard my rusty French made me think it was a done deal.

Old 1 May 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3973957)   #1482
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nothing wrong with your French, being not too familiar or pleased by this kind of language I had to read it several times to understand what's gonna happen… My conclusion is nobody can tell for sure at the moment!
Old 1 May 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3974000)   #1483
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry Max, your French is better than mine, they asked about some "déduction fiscale" to help companies investing in sponsorship. They asked to cancel any charge for police forces involved on the events - supported by the organizers - but I wonder how this can be done. We'll probably have to disinfect cars, helmets and racing gear.
Old 1 May 2020, 18:32 (Ref:3974006)   #1484
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry Max, your French is better than mine, they asked about some "déduction fiscale" to help companies investing in sponsorship. They asked to cancel any charge for police forces involved on the events - supported by the organizers - but I wonder how this can be done. We'll probably have to disinfect cars, helmets and racing gear.
Hmm. No problem. When "foot and mouth" and other animal/farm diseases are discovered the regulations insist on disinfecting vehicles for a few days before an complete ban in enacted and hundreds of thousands of innocent animals are slaughtered.

So on just invest in and drives through disinfectant troughs and all will be well until an epidemiologist somewhere decides that the "livestock" - in the case of motor sport that would be the race vehicles - needs to be eliminated.

A very "green" Minister might see things that way.

I note many media stories that relate to the other "war" - against climate change. The green armies seem to be well prepared to take advantage of any opportunity to move forward on the promotion of their single issue. Mass die-off does not really matter to them. Some may even see it as a positive.

Maybe not so positive though.

No matter - everything I see and read suggests that, whatever the world population, a centrally managed electric fleet of PAYG transport pods makes total sense. (So long as personal privacy in not one of one's primary concerns.)
Old 1 May 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3974008)   #1485
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
On a lighter mode, I remember driving a special Elise from Ethel to Paris on behalf of a french magazine. I was rather late for the last shuttle arriving at customs and one officer was not quite happy with my driving of the noisy thing. The mad cow disease was raging and he sent me to "take a bath" in the truck pool! The wave was so high that the product went well above the bonnet. We had to clean the corrosive product quickly! Was a kind of drive and dont drink version…
Old 1 May 2020, 19:31 (Ref:3974013)   #1486
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
On a lighter mode, I remember driving a special Elise from Ethel to Paris on behalf of a french magazine. I was rather late for the last shuttle arriving at customs and one officer was not quite happy with my driving of the noisy thing. The mad cow disease was raging and he sent me to "take a bath" in the truck pool! The wave was so high that the product went well above the bonnet. We had to clean the corrosive product quickly! Was a kind of drive and dont drink version…
We encountered one of those at Dunkerque when using Norfolk Line, which in those days was primarily a truck ferry. There was a spray operating as you drove off the ferry - we had to close the windows of our Audi A4 very quickly before getting an eye full!
Old 2 May 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3974084)   #1487
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
We encountered one of those at Dunkerque when using Norfolk Line, which in those days was primarily a truck ferry. There was a spray operating as you drove off the ferry - we had to close the windows of our Audi A4 very quickly before getting an eye full!
didn't realise you could see the eye full tower from Dunkerque !
Old 2 May 2020, 17:51 (Ref:3974140)   #1488
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What do you think, David, the second name of Biloute John is Hawk-Eye!
May be he's capable to reading the tea leaves, coffee reading or even use a crystal bowl! You never know with those Northerners…
Old 2 May 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3974151)   #1489
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Max may be you already saw that "état d'urgence sanitaire" goes till 24 July now. No more attestation needed from 11 May, travels of 100 kilometers or less allowed. Everything TBC which makes sense imo.
Old 2 May 2020, 18:33 (Ref:3974153)   #1490
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
didn't realise you could see the eye full tower from Dunkerque !
Actually there is an 'Eifel Tower' much closer to Dunkerque than the one in Paris. I think the locals consider it more as an eye-sore...
Old 2 May 2020, 20:12 (Ref:3974169)   #1491
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Max may be you already saw that "état d'urgence sanitaire" goes till 24 July now. No more attestation needed from 11 May, travels of 100 kilometers or less allowed. Everything TBC which makes sense imo.
So they won't be opening the kart tracks yet! I was hoping we could get across for some sneaky testing

Old 3 May 2020, 06:50 (Ref:3974210)   #1492
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Probably tempting but "there's no place like home" as we say.
Old 3 May 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3974228)   #1493
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Actually there is an 'Eifel Tower' much closer to Dunkerque than the one in Paris. I think the locals consider it more as an eye-sore...
There's an awful tower on Brighton beach currently . . . the sooner they pull it down the better.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...jaxhist=0&vt=0
Old 3 May 2020, 10:45 (Ref:3974230)   #1494
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
There's an awful tower on Brighton beach currently . . . the sooner they pull it down the better.

Surprised they didn't put a windmill on top whilst they were at it...
Old 3 May 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3974250)   #1495
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
the sooner they pull it down the better.
Many said the same thing about the Eiffel Tower which wasn't supposed to last so long…
Old 3 May 2020, 18:52 (Ref:3974300)   #1496
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting Gerard? All the time we can't race why waste money on non-essentials like engines, gearboxes......

https://barnfinds.com/french-field-f...sletter+(Daily)
Old 3 May 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3974301)   #1497
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Interesting Gerard? All the time we can't race why waste money on non-essentials like engines, gearboxes......

https://barnfinds.com/french-field-f...sletter+(Daily)
I saw that. I assume they are replicas but someone went to a lot of trouble to produce correct sign-writing etc.
Old 3 May 2020, 19:43 (Ref:3974306)   #1498
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ho, merci Colin, didn't see it before. The explanation of Gitanes name is a pure gem! At first glance I wondered if they were 7/10 ths of the real things. I met a person who helped youngsters to build they own replicas, mainly powered by a Honda engine. His pupils were aged from 8 to 14. Can't remember the name atm.
Old 3 May 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3974310)   #1499
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I saw that. I assume they are replicas but someone went to a lot of trouble to produce correct sign-writing etc.
In the comments, someone French (Pascal Hemery) who knows of the find states they have been offered for a long time (decades) and states "These are scale 1:1 replicas in fiber and wood with real wheels and other parts, fitted with motorbikes", (...presumably that means motorbike power units/gearbox.)
The #25 on the Gitanes Ligier is certainly a number used by Ligier for many years.
Old 3 May 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3974315)   #1500
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

When I looked at that I thought it was an old April fools joke or something as the photos look photoshopped, the I looked on Google maps and it's real, WTF was brighton council thinking allowing that there.
Closed Thread