Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 May 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3977651)   #1676
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was always a 'car' man and not really into motorbikes but a lot of my school friends were, so their influence kind of rubbed off, plus I was always fascinated by anything with an engine anyway. Being basically lazy & not at all athletic I did buy a moped (from my maths teacher) an NSU Quickly (the Trades Description Act didn't seem so powerful then) and rode it like a maniac everywhere and was lucky to never hurt myself on the many occasions that I fell off it. Deciding that more wheels might be safer for me I decided to copy a mate of mine and look for a motorbike & sidecar (he had a 600cc Panther with a Steib sports sidecar). My first was a 350cc Ariel which had a sidecar chassis with a door fixed to it, and fixed to the door was a tin bath! I kept this at a mates house so I could tidy it up before taking it home but even so, my parents insisted that I got rid of it immediately. Next I had a Triumph TR6 (motorcycle, not car, basically a single carb Bonneville) with a massive double-adult sidecar (which was more like a garden shed). Later I found a Watsonian Palma semi-sports sidecar and fitted that instead. The bike was very unreliable so I finally moved onto four wheels and bought a Ford Anglia estate. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the Ariel...
Old 22 May 2020, 07:27 (Ref:3977654)   #1677
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I always considered the side-car thingy as a total mechanical non sense. May be a lack of skill but scary. The worse I rode was a Suzie RV90 with a side-car…
I do remember my first miles, before the legal age of 14, riding a Peugeot BB3 Sport and discovering a new concept: Freedom! This never left me, whatever the travel or displacement. A unique feeling I never felt with any car. Riding gives you wings…
Old 22 May 2020, 08:29 (Ref:3977658)   #1678
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A good friend of mine has a couple of Vincent's left to him by his father, his wife even has a Comet A bike that was made a long time ago and still turns peoples heads when they hear them.
I rode a Black Shadow once...years ago...but NEVER forgotten
Old 22 May 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3977667)   #1679
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I always considered the side-car thingy as a total mechanical non sense. May be a lack of skill but scary. The worse I rode was a Suzie RV90 with a side-car…
I do remember my first miles, before the legal age of 14, riding a Peugeot BB3 Sport and discovering a new concept: Freedom! This never left me, whatever the travel or displacement. A unique feeling I never felt with any car. Riding gives you wings…
You are right about sidecars Gerard a total nonsense and very challenging to ride. They can be great fun though scaring your passengers by lifting the sidecar wheel away from the ground when going around left-hand corners!
Old 22 May 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3977675)   #1680
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Left-hand corners in some areas and right-hand ones in others Viva! We had several attempts here trying to convince the solo riders to the benefit of travelling with their half. Toro built by Side-Bike comes up to my mind. No perfect but fat better. Anyway I find riding to be "un plaisir solitaire" can't find a real pleasure to have what we call "bag of sand" behind you. Neither for the driver nor for the passenger…

Toro here, everything bends in the corners with an easy lock/unlock system:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-Bike
Old 22 May 2020, 11:56 (Ref:3977677)   #1681
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Delta's Twentea-Twentea Break

Yes, I have heard all about the fun of side bikes. More fun with two. But you rarely see any these days. But it’s nice be reminded of them
Old 22 May 2020, 12:01 (Ref:3977679)   #1682
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Side bikes? !!!!
Old 22 May 2020, 12:04 (Ref:3977681)   #1683
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Well more likely Side-Bike a french builder, Toro, Zeus, Celtik, all three-wheeler based on existing bikes. Burst in 2013 if I'm right.
Old 22 May 2020, 12:20 (Ref:3977682)   #1684
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Side bikes? !!!!
Isn't this a side-bike?

Old 22 May 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3977684)   #1685
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sure it is! Only one problem in case of a divorce who will keep her or his hands on the handlebars?
Old 22 May 2020, 13:00 (Ref:3977688)   #1686
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I had a sidecar on my Lambretta many years ago . . . . excellent fun, and definitely an art to riding them.

as for covers Gerard, here's one we prepared earlier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiIsDXY6dzQ
Attached Thumbnails
sidecar outfits 002.jpg  
Old 22 May 2020, 13:05 (Ref:3977689)   #1687
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Side bikes? !!!!
I believe the poster is referring to motor cycle combinations which were quite popular in an earlier age.
Old 22 May 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3977694)   #1688
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice band Joe! Think we already talked about but I find it sounds a little bit like Indochine, L'aventurier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7X6oYg6iro
Old 22 May 2020, 14:02 (Ref:3977697)   #1689
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
as for covers Gerard, here's one we prepared earlier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiIsDXY6dzQ
Brilliant cover of a great song. Enjoyed that, thanks Zef.
Old 22 May 2020, 14:09 (Ref:3977700)   #1690
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I believe the poster is referring to motor cycle combinations which were quite popular in an earlier age.
I always remember "George & Mildred" on the TV many years back. George had an old outfit that his wife was too ashamed to be seen in
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 May 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3977713)   #1691
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now you’re going back a bit. Wouldn’t see much of that nowadays
Old 22 May 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3977716)   #1692
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
A good friend of mine has a couple of Vincent's left to him by his father, his wife even has a Comet A bike that was made a long time ago and still turns peoples heads when they hear them.
A family friend is a member of the Vincent owners club and we were invited to a bbq with a bunch of the Midlands branch a few years ago. When I casually mentioned to the friends wife what the bikes might be worth she thought that it might be worth burying him under the patio!
Old 22 May 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3977717)   #1693
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I more or less dodged the motorbike bullet - my Dad had a bike and sidecar outfit until I was about to come on the scene when my mother refused to contemplate having my 7 year-old sister and a new baby in the sidecar, nor would she let my sister ride pillion - so the rig went and was replaced with a Ford C-type - although I don't really remember it, as shortly afterwards my Dad became a commercial traveller and got a company van.

I did get an LD50 Lambretta when I was 16 (reg MEN50) which was cheap because the headstock casting was cracked so the clutch lever was semi-detached.....but it did me OK (I think I only crashed once ) for a few months until I passed my driving test when 4 wheels became a lot more of an attractive proposition........

Milady who is somewhat older than me passed her bike test in 1953, getting an AJS to ride to and from her work as a nurse - which apparently didn't go down well with the matron..... Many years later her youngest son arrived back from college with a 200cc two-stroke Suzuki....she asked to have a go on it and when his mates laughed he pointed out that she was the only one with a full bike licence....she dug out her old pudding-basin helmet and, having in her words, thought as it was only a 200 she'd better give it a bit of stick, promptly set off up the road doing a wheely..........gaining instant street cred with the kids, and scaring me silly!

Since then she has offered a few times to get a bike so I could go on the pillion....I've declined

Talking to a mate yesterday he told me that after having a biking holiday in Thailand last year his girlfriend had become a convert to pillion-riding, and said they should get a big touring bike - so he's bought a 1.7 litre Triumph Thunderbird - the mind boggles.
Old 22 May 2020, 15:31 (Ref:3977718)   #1694
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was really put off sidecars coming back from the Lands End Trial in the passenger seat of MGD's Midget. There we were, pouring rain, hood up, wipers going 19 to the dozen up the M5. Slowly because of the low ratio trialling diff.

We overtook a combination going even slower, the riders getting even wetter. A trials sidecar is even more rudimentary than your traditional "Wallace and Gromit" set up.....
Attached Thumbnails
Trials.jpg  
Old 22 May 2020, 15:43 (Ref:3977721)   #1695
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
How do you call the passenger of a race side-car? Here, they are called "le singe" aka monkey. Just watch a vid and you'll understand why…
Old 22 May 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3977729)   #1696
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How do you call the passenger of a race side-car? Here, they are called "le singe" aka monkey. Just watch a vid and you'll understand why…
Ballast
Old 22 May 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3977731)   #1697
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
One of my Alfa friends is the sidecar rider in Historic Bike racing....I call him crazy ....... but he tells me its much safer than the modern equivalent - because his sidecar has a big wheel to brace against, whereas the modern ones are more like casters
Old 22 May 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3977745)   #1698
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Bonkers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3977750)   #1699
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Malcolm, ballast in this case is not very nice… OK for bonkers, you must be half mad to accept this, lets say those, position! I guess richard is referring to and old "attelage" when the so called handle bars were almost directly linked to the front wheel. Half mad half brave!
Old 22 May 2020, 17:33 (Ref:3977753)   #1700
S griffin
Veteran

You must really have needed someone willing to ride with you then. Anything to avoid the dreaded ballast. Those things must have been either fun or scary or both