Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 May 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3905735)   #1701
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Pictures from the Qualifying Race: https://bit.ly/2K42goC

These are from Galgenkopf/Kleines Karussel (Sat evening, into the dark); the stretch from Ex-muhle to Kalenhard; Fuchsrohe; Aremberg and lastly Adenauer Forst.

This was a really good event to go to, especially as my interest is the GT3 cars. A much smaller field means less traffic (and thus no waiting for a particular car for 8 minutes then have it turn up alongside two cup cars and a TCR). There was less of a crowd than for the VLN races and the organisers (the 24H rather than VLN) had a very relaxed policy on parking so I was able to drive right up to several difficult-to-reach places, hence the wide spread of corners covered. It also has a lot of running - nearly 12 hours over the two days.

A fairly interesting variety of cars as well. A big contingent of the four German marques of course, but also a Lamborghini, three GT-Rs, three Ferraris, a Z4, a Glickenhaus and a Lexus LC and RCF. No Viper though - hope it is in the 24.

Not photographed here but there was also a surprisingly ugly Supra GT4 and two very pretty Aston GT4s (one all white, one all black).
Old 26 May 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3905820)   #1702
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
No Viper though - hope it is in the 24.
It won't be: https://gt.report/qw9Rx
Old 26 May 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3906202)   #1703
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s a shame, would have been great to see it in action
Old 28 May 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3906550)   #1704
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is anybody else going to this? lucky enough to be going to Le Mans the week before and thinking about doing something similar as I do for Le Mans driving over Friday stopping somewhere an hour away from the ring and heading to the circuit Saturday morning
Old 28 May 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3906554)   #1705
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Is anybody else going to this? lucky enough to be going to Le Mans the week before and thinking about doing something similar as I do for Le Mans driving over Friday stopping somewhere an hour away from the ring and heading to the circuit Saturday morning
Yes. I wouldn't miss it for the world - if I did one event each year, it would be the Nurburgring 24.

Your plan is sound except that there will be limited availability of B&Bs and hotels so you might have to pay a bit more than you'd like. That said, an hour is a wide radius so you should find something. It is almost impossible to find a bad B&B in the area, the standard is amazing.

If you plan to watch the start at the Grand Prix circuit then get there early. The main stands (especially the Mercedes Arena) will be full by 10am. The main spectator areas around the Nordschleife are rammed from Thursday. The roads will be jammed from the start until late at night.

None of that should put you off. It's an incredible event.

My preferred approach is to watch the start and early hours from the bottom end of the GP circuit, by the hairpin, away from the crowds. By early evening the grandstands will be emptying and there's great viewing to be had - glowing brake disks at several points. I then walk up to Hatzenbach for a couple of hours, then sleep in the car until just before dawn before heading off to Brunchen, Pflanzgarten and perhaps Adenauer Forst. By dawn the party animals will be asleep - I had all these places pretty much to myself on Sunday morning last year. There are some road closures but otherwise you can drive around, your parking pass is good for every car park and there are plenty of people to ask for help/directions.

It's a pretty heavy party zone in places but I've always found everyone to be very friendly and good-natured. I've been offered many a beer and invited atop many an impressive scaffolding to take pictures.

Don't hesitate. Plan it now. You'll only scratch the surface on a single trip, which means you'll have to go again the next year to visit different parts of this incredible track.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 28 May 2019 at 16:52.
Old 28 May 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3906556)   #1706
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes. I wouldn't miss it for the world - if I did one event each year, it would be the Nurburgring 24.

Your plan is sound except that there will be limited availability of B&Bs and hotels so you might have to pay a bit more than you'd like. That said, an hour is a wide radius so you should find something. It is almost impossible to find a bad B&B in the area, the standard is amazing.

If you plan to watch the start at the Grand Prix circuit then get there early. The main stands (especially the Mercedes Arena) will be full by 10am. The main spectator areas around the Nordschleife are rammed from Thursday. The roads will be jammed from the start until late at night.

None of that should put you off. It's an incredible event.

My preferred approach is to watch the start and early hours from the bottom end of the GP circuit, by the hairpin, away from the crowds. By early evening the grandstands will be emptying and there's great viewing to be had - glowing brake disks at several points. I then walk up to Hatzenbach for a couple of hours, then sleep in the car until just before dawn before heading off to Brunchen, Pflanzgarten and perhaps Adenauer Forst. By dawn the party animals will be asleep - I had all these places pretty much to myself on Sunday morning last year. There are some road closures but otherwise you can drive around, your parking pass is good for every car park and there are plenty of people to ask for help/directions.

It's a pretty heavy party zone in places but I've always found everyone to be very friendly and good-natured. I've been offered many a beer and invited atop many an impressive scaffolding to take pictures.

Don't hesitate. Plan it now. You'll only scratch the surface on a single trip, which means you'll have to go again the next year to visit different parts of this incredible track.

Thanks for that, I was racing myself a couple of years ago at Spa so we drove to the ring and caught a few hours of the race on the Saturday night (may have been the year the Land Audi won on the last lap) certainly wetted the appetite to come see it again! me & my dad will probably chuck our bikes in the back of the van as I do remember traffic being bad and a one way system in place
Old 28 May 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3906557)   #1707
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wow, you actually got to drive on one legendary track, then go see a race at another one on the same weekend. You are one lucky person, but then considering how close the two race tracks are, it’s not really surprising. I’ve heard traffic getting out of Nurburgring can be quite bad, so probably good to have the bikes as backup
Old 28 May 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3906561)   #1708
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
^^This.

TL,DR version: The racing is great and the atmosphere is great, you should go.

A couple years back I was planning my first trip to an endurance race and asked a few of the RLM/sportscar type people on Twitter, they were almost unanimous. Me and dad went last year and loved it, the set ups that the crowds have are just mad and there's something remarkably special about the whole event. We're heading back this year with a few more spot on the list to watch, and a bit of a better idea what to take and how to get about.

We tend to be fans of the budget end of things so camped near Schwalbenschwanz, but slightly away from the main party bit. We also took push bikes in the van to help get around. Having the bike makes for a lot of exercise but also means you get to see a reasonable amount while not worrying about parking/who's Des etc. I loved that you can watch at one point, ride a few hundred yards and see the track from a completely different perspective. Through Pflanztgarten a few laps into the race (when Grid 1 catches Grid 3) is bonkers, the speed differential through the compression is eye opening. We also watched the Friday evening qualifying shootout at Hatzenbach, well worth the effort (and the walk back up the hill). It's arguably the quickest that the cars will go during the whole event and some of them were really pushing the limit.

Downside was that the rain came on Sunday in the early hours, while we were up at the GP track. Luckily we had waterproof kit but still had to wait for a bit of a break in the weather before riding the 10-15 minutes back to camp. Thankfully it's downhill, so lesson learnt about where to be in the early hours if the weather is dodgy. Also the waterproofs weren't top quality, so replaced for this year. The real negative was when it started warming up later in the morning and the mist caused a few hours of stoppage, which I don't think is uncommon for the event (although hopefully less likely in the June slot this year)
Old 29 May 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3906728)   #1709
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list now out for the 24h

https://redaktion.24h-rennen.de/erge...terliste-2019/
Old 30 May 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3906969)   #1710
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
THere's 34 cars in the SP 9 class, that's excellent.
Old 30 May 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3907061)   #1711
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a couple of pics from the Qualifying Race online if anyone is interested: https://gt.report/pT09X

More: https://gt.report/pT09X
Old 16 Jun 2019, 23:46 (Ref:3912323)   #1712
Kaz1983
Rookie

Kaz1983 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the best way to watch the 24 hours Nuringburg?
Old 17 Jun 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3912447)   #1713
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone got any hints or tips for a first timer at the N24?
What should we expect, what shouldn't we miss etc, or anything to be aware of?
Old 17 Jun 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3912470)   #1714
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Go back one page in this thread!

I love this event, it's my favourite of the year. Le Mans just now was great, but just the warm-up :-)

What I write on the previous page here is the quick version. Happy to answer specific questions either here or via PM.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 22:25 (Ref:3912555)   #1715
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Take all the clothes, for any weather. Current forecasts suggest thunderstorms.

Other than that I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it no matter what you do. Get some viewing on the Nordschleife, wander round the pits. Definitely wander through the trackside campsites a bit. Oh and start thinking about next year, because if you're anything like me you'll definitely want to go back!

If you see a guy on a pushbike with a trailer that has a Beerbelli sticker, feel free to throw something at the old bloke that's with him...I'm sure dad won't mind
Old 18 Jun 2019, 01:48 (Ref:3912591)   #1716
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz1983 View Post
What's the best way to watch the 24 hours Nuringburg?
I don't know what the tv broadcast looks like this year. In past years it has been streamed on the race organizers website. I will probably follow along with the radio broadcast on radiolemans.com.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 04:14 (Ref:3912598)   #1717
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKg...nsDsDEKKMc9bKA

Is the official Youtube channel and there is already a race stream listed.

No qualifying or practices listed yet (pretty sure at least top 30 qualifying was streamed last year).
Old 18 Jun 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3912640)   #1718
JoeW04
Veteran

Does anyone know if radio Le Mans broadcast on FM at the circuit?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 12:39 (Ref:3912658)   #1719
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Does anyone know if radio Le Mans broadcast on FM at the circuit?
I don't believe so, unless things have changed this year. Thankfully there is reasonable 3G/4G coverage so you can get it on their website if you've got a half decent data allowance (I believe roaming charges no longer apply, they certainly don't on my contract).

Does anyone know if the teams run on UHF or the like? If so what frequencies or range?
Old 19 Jun 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3912867)   #1720
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Radio Nürburgring is 87.7 FM, but I guess it's in German.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 14:53 (Ref:3912896)   #1721
JoeW04
Veteran

I’m doing the RCN race in the morning but I’m not sure if I’m staying for the main event yet
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3912943)   #1722
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
The best car race of the year, no doubt; if only we got a Blancpain Endurance Series-size field of GT3 cars, instead of the usual 30-40 GT3 cars. Also, the teams who do enter are all high caliber, so I can't wait to see them all in action.

Anybody know the forecast for this weekend?
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3912953)   #1723
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
The best car race of the year, no doubt; if only we got a Blancpain Endurance Series-size field of GT3 cars, instead of the usual 30-40 GT3 cars. Also, the teams who do enter are all high caliber, so I can't wait to see them all in action.

Anybody know the forecast for this weekend?
totally agree, this is probably my favorite race of the year. Just checked the weather and it looks good all week though Sunday so we will see how it goes. The weather always changes quickly at the Nordschleife.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 21:44 (Ref:3912984)   #1724
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Go back one page in this thread!

I love this event, it's my favourite of the year. Le Mans just now was great, but just the warm-up :-)

What I write on the previous page here is the quick version. Happy to answer specific questions either here or via PM.
Haha I missed that page by mistake. Thanks for the info!
Old 20 Jun 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3913078)   #1725
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a shame