Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 Apr 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2871859)   #1
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superkarts

Hi all, I would just like to start a thread dedicated to Superkarts as we really need some coverage/advertisement/support! So any questions/queries welcome and I will post throughout the season with some onboard footage.

Superkarts are certainly under rated in my view, with Super 1 short circuit karting getting the centre stage. For me, this seems ridiculous when Superkarts reach double the speed and race on all the long circuits in the UK.

The view that 'Superkarts is for old men' is totally unjustified too. Yes there are a few, how shall I say, 'mature' people racing, but nowadays there are many young drivers stepping into and dominating the series. I myself am just 18, my brother is 19 and there are around 15 drivers under the age of 25 - all battling for the top places.

Here is the Superkart website: http://www.superkart.org.uk/

If anyone wants to come to a race weekend, PM me and I can probably get them some free tickets.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2871860)   #2
bendy
Rookie

After racing at Snetterton 300 on the 18th April in the MSA British Superkart Championship, I can safely say it is one of the best tracks in the UK IMHO, obviously without the heritage and experience of racing at Silverstone and Donington, but with that aside, I think the track is fantastic!

Here is a video from my qualy session www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXVLivRyPk

There are also 2 other videos from the races - with 48 karts on the grid! Hope to have a similar turnout at Silverstone on 7th/8th May.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2872015)   #3
Ebola
Rookie

United Kingdom
S.Yorks
Ebola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well worth a look

I just wanted to share my experience of Superkarts when I discovered them last year at Croft. I had absolutely no idea they even existed. I remember being stood trackside and hearing something approaching. I turned round to see a convoy of strange creatures coming towards assembly and wondering what on earth was happening. An invasion of some kind?
I watched the organised chaos that was the karts being pushed out onto track with people diving out the way left and right, making sure they dont get mowed over from the karts behind,brilliant. My heart was in my mouth the entire time. Every time the karts went past all I was thinking was ''please stay on the track, please stay on the track''. To think racers are an inch away from the tarmac, doing speeds around 100mph and barely any breaking,you have got to be insane. They were great fun to watch and I would definitely encourage anyone, if given the opportunity, to go see them. They're pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them this season.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2872132)   #4
bendy
Rookie

I enjoyed Croft actually, a bit bumpy but it was a good weekend. Here is my video from race 2 www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5S8H0SxDA I finished 4th in class...

We averaged about 95mph round there which considering the Complex section at the end of the lap, isnt too bad!

And to be honest, I know they look ridiculous and "insane", but they arent that bad at all, and after a few sessions, they're reasonably easy to drive!
Old 4 May 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2873827)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bleeding Ada!! just seen your Cadwell vid... its a real shame you felt the need to speed the film up and couldnt show it to us in real-time... Wait a moment!! They look mental, bet the braking is out of this world. Only Gbox Ive driven at speed was an RM1 which probably doesnt qualify, but was immense fun.
Old 25 May 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2885672)   #6
bendy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Bleeding Ada!! just seen your Cadwell vid... its a real shame you felt the need to speed the film up and couldnt show it to us in real-time... Wait a moment!! They look mental, bet the braking is out of this world. Only Gbox Ive driven at speed was an RM1 which probably doesnt qualify, but was immense fun.

Haha Cadwell I have to say is great fun in one of these, a perfect Superkart track perhaps? It is however very very difficult to be quick in particular the goose-neck due to the blind entry and horrible camber changes! The second part of Charlies is also very tricky, not quite flat out, but high speed and difficult to spot an apex. I wasnt really on the pace at all at Cadwell last year, so after the Grand Prix (July 16/17th) I will post another video where I will be hopefully around 3 seconds a lap quicker...!
Old 25 May 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2885675)   #7
bendy
Rookie

After racing on the National track at Silverstone on 7/8th May (will post videos when uploaded), Superkarts are heading to Donington on the 16th and 17th June as part of the support programme for the International Superstars event. Hopefully this will boost Superkarts' presence in the world of motorsport.

Here are some photos from Silverstone http://www.np.rpsys.net/bsa/indexsilver0511.html

I unfortunately wont be there as I have a small matter of a few A levels to do
Old 28 May 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2887224)   #8
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will have my first test day in a Gearbox coming up soon, just so happens to be the same weekend and place as the Gearbox Short Circuit '0' plate.

Nice to have no pressure :P
Old 31 May 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2888782)   #9
bendy
Rookie

Video from Silverstone Race 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIH_NFWxzM8
Old 3 Jun 2011, 01:44 (Ref:2890313)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
Video from Silverstone Race 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIH_NFWxzM8
thats quality!
Old 7 Jun 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2892807)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
I will have my first test day in a Gearbox coming up soon
How did you go about about getting that? Through a friend?

I am really keen to test a gearbox kart. Does anyone know anybody who'd be up for whoring out thier kart for an hour?

I would consider myself a very safe pair of hands.....
Old 7 Jun 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2893007)   #12
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
How did you go about about getting that?

The LCRKC run a race school where you can try out a 125cc for the day at Darley Moor near Ashbourne. Tends to be mid week once a month I think.

http://www.longcircuit-racingkart-cl...aceschool.html

Next superkart race is at Donington on the 17/18th June along with the superstars, caterhams, pickup trucks

Donington Timetable

There are many videos of superkarts on youtube that don't always show up. If you type in superkart to the search box and search by upload date theres quite a few more that don't normally show.

My channel is - http://www.youtube.com/user/SMoss36

My newest video is a reuploaded version of the Donington National lap record for 250 Nationals. Difference this time is i'm using some software called trackvision that allows you to overlay data from all kinds of loggers such as Mychron, Motec, RaceChrono etc and put them onto your recorded videos whether you use GoPro, VIO, Countour etc.

As well as that you can create your own dashboards so I created the Mychron 4 as you can see in the video.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2893066)   #13
bendy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss View Post
The LCRKC run a race school where you can try out a 125cc for the day at Darley Moor near Ashbourne. Tends to be mid week once a month I think.

Next superkart race is at Donington on the 17/18th June along with the superstars, caterhams, pickup trucks

Donington Timetable

There are many videos of superkarts on youtube that don't always show up. If you type in superkart to the search box and search by upload date theres quite a few more that don't normally show.

My channel is - http://www.youtube.com/user/SMoss36

My newest video is a reuploaded version of the Donington National lap record for 250 Nationals. Difference this time is i'm using some software called trackvision that allows you to overlay data from all kinds of loggers such as Mychron, Motec, RaceChrono etc and put them onto your recorded videos whether you use GoPro, VIO, Countour etc.

As well as that you can create your own dashboards so I created the Mychron 4 as you can see in the video.

Good luck at Donington Sam, hope all goes well. Gutted I wont be there as you can imagine but it makes for a pressure-free, modification filled rest of season

Very good video from Donington by the way, very interesting indeed!
Old 7 Jun 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2893080)   #14
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the info!
Old 7 Jun 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2893116)   #15
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Out of interest, is there a stock motor to use in 125 or 250? Are they modified roadbike engines or specific superkart ones? What's the engine life like?
Old 8 Jun 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2893283)   #16
bendy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Out of interest, is there a stock motor to use in 125 or 250? Are they modified roadbike engines or specific superkart ones? What's the engine life like?

There are no stock engines as such, although about 95% of the 250 Singles field (the MSA Championship) use Honda's CR250. In general though they are all ex-motorcross engines tuned up a bit (stock CR250 is about 45bhp I think and we get around 60bhp, maybe more or less depending on engine tuner!)

125s I know less about, but there is a greater variety used. There is a 125 ICC class which run on short circuits as well and also 125 Opens which are more tuned and run long circuit bodywork.

For 250s, a bottom end complete rebuild is really required every year, and changing pistons depends upon your engine setup regarding mixture and detonation but on average 1 every 2 race weekends if all goes to plan!

For this year though, we are seeing 450s making a strong showing and could well see these used in the future due to better reliability/cheaper costs...although they sound hidious!
Old 9 Jun 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2894594)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss View Post

That looks really good, £150 for a day - seems they start you off on 400cc Thunderkarts, which must either be a GX390cc Thunderkart or a Prokart with twin 200's - then move you on to the Gearbox kart.

Does Darley have open kart testing or would that only be for Gearbox's? Would love to take an Aixro or DD2 round there.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2925775)   #18
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look what ive just managed to get my grubby little mitts on.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...w/57444c21.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...w/f7d99de6.jpg
Old 21 Jul 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2929547)   #19
optica
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
optica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridoptica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cadwell 2011

Cadwell was as enjoyable as ever despite the changeable weather. It does seem to be an increasingly difficult event to put on due to the expense so I hope it will return next year as it is the best circuit fror Superkarts in the country. It is a great place for photography without acres of catch fencing so I always look forward to the Kart GP.
Have posted some pics from the 2011 event here
Old 22 Sep 2011, 04:19 (Ref:2959380)   #20
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just like to say, Superkarts are awesome! thanks.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 02:29 (Ref:2960261)   #21
Suckbangblow
Rookie

Australia
St Helens Park Sydney
Suckbangblow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a 125cc stock honda class which runs in the US and is being tested in Australia at the moment,the US guys have very big fields with close regulation on its rules, the aussie guys have about 7 running around with great success in the 125 gearbox class, im sure it wouldn't take to much to start it in the UK heres a link on some info on the class but im sure you would find out more just through Google.

http://superkartaus.com/Forums/index.php?board=12.0
Old 27 Sep 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2961471)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Nice - how does it go?
Old 23 Dec 2011, 15:55 (Ref:3003595)   #23
Redline944
Rookie

Redline944 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions..

Ok I'm interested..

So some questions..

The calender seems fairly small.. is testing possible.. and where does it tend to take place? Cost?

Does the age of the chassis have a genuinely material effect on competitive ability (not front running.. mid pack)..?

On a race weekend.. just one race? or multiple?

How long does a set of tyres last?

Thanks.. there'll be more..
Old 24 Dec 2011, 16:48 (Ref:3003959)   #24
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Welcome, cant rightly answer a lot of your questions but I do know the chassis life is a lot longer compared to the short sell by dates in non-Rotax racing. Why I cant say...
Old 26 Dec 2011, 17:16 (Ref:3004310)   #25
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline944 View Post
The calender seems fairly small.. is testing possible.. and where does it tend to take place? Cost?

Does the age of the chassis have a genuinely material effect on competitive ability (not front running.. mid pack)..?

On a race weekend.. just one race? or multiple?

How long does a set of tyres last?
No problem about questions i'll try to help the best I can. The british superkart series also have a forum here http://superkart.forumcircle.com/portal.php which many people will help you

Testing is pretty limited for us. There is Oulton Park on tuesday 14th February for £60 with 4x 15min sessions http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/te...uperkarts.aspx

Other than that its usually the friday before the Grand Prix weekend.. This has been roughly £100 for the full day with 6x 20min sessions.

The age of the chassis doesn't matter 1 bit. The only thing that matters is if its had any damage or bumps. I used to race a 2001 chassis, in 08 we purchased a new bare frame and there was no handling difference

On a typical race weekend we have 1 practice session and 1 qualifying session on the saturday, then 2 15 minute races on the sunday. Superkart racing is fairly relaxed, if you want you could probably strip the kart down and clean it between races if you want

Sometimes the events are 1 day so we have just a Qualifying and 2 races. These tend to be at places like Oulton and Bishopscourt where the circuit only tends to run on saturdays.

A set of tyres can last 2 meetings or more. In the british championship we are limited to, i think 7 sets in the year. Only 1 set is allowed to be used per meeting plus a spare set in case of punctures.