Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3255237)   #51
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to a columnist at Le Journal de Montréal (JDM), it's the federal government that is holding up the negotiations for a new 10-year contract for the Montreal race. Below is a Google translation (tweaked by me) of two articles from French language news sites about the negotiations. (The original JDM article is accessible only to subscribers).

Apparently Bernie is willing to renew the contract at $15M/year with annual increases of 5%. That means the fee would be at about $19M/year in year 5 and $24.5M in 10 years. That's a lot of government money to support a private sports event, but it's still significantly less than what the state of Texas is currently paying...I know, I know, the state of Texas doesn't want to call their deal a subsidy.

I am skeptical of the value of government subsidies like this and I would understand if Canadian taxpayers and their government representatives decide they don't want to subsidize the race anymore...but, selfishly, I sure hope they decide to continue to subsidize my trips to the race.

Assuming you accept the idea of a government subsidy, Bernie is offering a surprisingly fair deal to Montreal, Quebec and Canada.

News
The Canadian Grand Prix in jeopardy because of Ottawa?
May 29, 2013 at 10:31 |
canoe.ca

The federal government is the only one of four financial supporters of the Grand Prix of Canada to refuse to agree to the annual increase demanded by Bernie Ecclestone, the boss of Formula 1, which jeopardizes the race after 2014, according to Le Journal de Montreal.

The parties negotiated a new 10-year agreement that would ensure the continuation of the event from 2015 to 2024, and Ecclestone would get an annual increase of less than 5%, according to what columnist Michel Girard reported Wednesday .

The Quebec government, the Office of Tourism of Greater Montreal and the City of Montreal were all ready to sign the new agreement, but not the federal government.

However, "at the time of the Grand Prix last year, a verbal agreement was reached between the representatives of the four partners and negotiators for Bernie Ecclestone," according to the Journal.

The deal, however, was temporarily suspended last fall due to provincial elections, the resignation of Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay and a change of authority on the federal side - Minister Denis Lebel has replaced Minister Paradis.

Minister Lebel was not available to comment about the news Tuesday, according to his publicist.

The current five-year agreement expires in June 2014. A sanctioning fee of $ 15 million is paid annually to the organization of Formula 1 for the right to host the race.

Each year under the current agreement, the federal government pays $ 5 million to support the Grand Prix. According to former provincial finance minister Raymond Bachand, the race would yield annual tax revenues of $ 7.8 million to the Government of Canada.

Overall, the economic benefits associated with the holding of the showpiece of racing in Montreal are estimated at $ 90 million each year.

Future of the Montreal Grand Prix
Quebec is confident

QMI Agency
Louis Gagné
29/05/2013 3:12 p.m.

QUEBEC - Even if Ottawa refuses to commit to increase its share of funding to ensure the survival of the Canadian Grand Prix, the Quebec government of Pauline Marois is confident of keeping the event in Montreal.

The provinicial minister responsible, Pascal Bérubé said he was hopeful of an agreement with the leaders of the Formula 1 in the next two weeks. However, the Minister for Tourism has refused to comment on the issue further so as not to interfere with negotiations.

Also on Canoe.ca:
The Canadian Grand Prix in jeopardy?

Prior to renew the agreement, the big boss of F1, Bernie Ecclestone, requires different levels of government to increase annual contributions by about 5%

Under the current agreement, the public funding of the Grand Prize is $ 15 million. Tourism Ottawa and Montreal each pay $ 5 million, against $ 4 million for the Quebec government and $ 1 million for the City of Montreal.

With the exception of the federal government, all donors have agreed to increase their contribution.

The responsible minister in the Harper government, Denis Lebel, said Wednesday that he had no intention of negotiating in public.

"We will work with the promoter and other levels of government to see if they can keep us in this event, while respecting the ability of taxpayers to pay," said his press secretary, Marie-Josée Paquette.

The five-year agreement reached between Formula 1 and the organizers of the Montreal Grand Prix will end in June 2014.
Old 30 May 2013, 04:54 (Ref:3255282)   #52
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If that deal comes to fruition, then it will be another great deal.

I think what Montreal has in its favour, in terms of battling with Bernie, is that it always has a fantastic attendance, is in North America, and usually produces a good product (i.e. a good race which makes for good tv). It has been around a long time, with a proven record of support from the host nation (the populace and, crucially, all levels of government), but, significantly, will not be willing to pay the extortionate rates he can get out of some other places.

The governments may all want the event, but it is all within reason. There are elections to win, and all that.

In short, I think Montreal is one of the rare venues on the calendar that actually has some leverage with Bernie.

Last edited by Dutton; 30 May 2013 at 04:59.
Old 30 May 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3255506)   #53
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just one more quick aside on Brazil, if I may.

According to F1SA (never heard of it, until now), the Sao Paulo Mayor claims a deal's been reached on an extension to 2020 - although paper was to be completed in May.

With any luck, this is accurate.

Brazilian mayor claims Formula 1 Grand Prix contract ready for Interlagos venue.

Anyhow, as we were.
Old 30 May 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3255514)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bernie can't afford to lose Montreal from the calendar. It wouldn't look good at all, especially after having secured the Austin GP. That will leave him with one race in North America, just when he's looking to expand there and that could easily frighten off potential sponsors.
Old 30 May 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3255522)   #55
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernie not wanting to lose Montreal has much more to do with its popularity (among the teams, drivers, fans etc. as Dutton mentioned in his earlier post), than being down to only a single race in North America. A surplus of interested organisers and venues and only so many spots on the calendar, ye ole supply and demand, IMO.

I only hope he doesn't screw it up when it comes to the likes of Montreal and Sao Paulo, to name only two.
Old 30 May 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3255533)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Bernie not wanting to lose Montreal has much more to do with its popularity (among the teams, drivers, fans etc. as Dutton mentioned in his earlier post), than being down to only a single race in North America. A surplus of interested organisers and venues and only so many spots on the calendar, ye ole supply and demand, IMO.

I only hope he doesn't screw it up when it comes to the likes of Montreal and Sao Paulo, to name only two.
I wasn't discounting the popularity amongst teams, drivers and fans, that's a given. In fact losing a very popular race I think would do Bernie no favors, especially as he's trying to expand in North America and I also think if North America is reduced to one race, that would be retrograde for the same reason.

North America is a big market and one that Bernie, the teams and their sponsors want to take advantage of.
Old 30 May 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3255548)   #57
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
I believe it's the biggest (market) BJ, Asia closing fast, zero argument there. Where we might differ, if it all, is the motivation. North America "reduced to one race" would be a comparatively short-term problem...in my 'umble opinion.
Old 30 May 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3255567)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
I believe it's the biggest (market) BJ, Asia closing fast, zero argument there. Where we might differ, if it all, is the motivation. North America "reduced to one race" would be a comparatively short-term problem...in my 'umble opinion.
The New Jersey GP was meant to be held this year but it's been put back until next year and there's still doubt it going ahead but hopefully we will still have the Canadian GP. I think it's one of the best GPs on the calendar and I always look forward to it.
Old 30 May 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3255745)   #59
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The New Jersey GP was meant to be held this year but it's been put back until next year and there's still doubt it going ahead but hopefully we will still have the Canadian GP. I think it's one of the best GPs on the calendar and I always look forward to it.
Tell Bob about it !
Old 30 May 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3255747)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Tell Bob about it !
I will, !
Old 31 May 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3255784)   #61
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an article and a video report on the Montreal GP negotiations from The Globe & Mail.

One thing that has not been mentioned in the articles from the last few days is the issue of renovations at the track. I wonder what is the status of that issue?

What renovations need to be made, how much will they cost and who will pay? It's hard to imagine that there will be a new contract without some agreement on those issues.

May 29, 2013 7:55 pm
Is Canada’s Grand Prix in jeopardy?
By Billy Shields Global News

MONTREAL – Ziggy Eichenbaum’s bar is a real draw on Crescent Street and he estimates a full third of his annual business comes from the week of the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Formula One race has been an economic boon for Montreal, with an economic impact of about $90 million a year. But recent stalled discussions have clouded the future of the race, whose contract is up next year...

Both the provincial and federal governments say they’re trying to keep the race, and sign onto a contract that would keep it in Montreal through 2024. But federal officials indicated Wednesday they weren’t willing to put up any amount of money to keep the race...
Old 31 May 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3255794)   #62
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The city does an amazing job hosting the race. The whole city really gets involved! Maybe they could split the race with say New Jersey; odd years NJ, even years Montreal to save money on the fees. I loved going to Montreal for the F1 race; it was probably one of the best venues I've been to and best host city by far!
Old 31 May 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3255989)   #63
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I prefer that Canada has a permanent venue rather than split with New Jersey.
Old 31 May 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3256112)   #64
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the history of the Canadian GP from Joe Saward along with some of the finances.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...e-canadian-gp/
Old 31 May 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3256118)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
The city does an amazing job hosting the race. The whole city really gets involved! Maybe they could split the race with say New Jersey; odd years NJ, even years Montreal to save money on the fees. I loved going to Montreal for the F1 race; it was probably one of the best venues I've been to and best host city by far!
I wouldn't want to see Montreal alternate with NJ, the Canadian GP needs to be a stand alone event in its own right. Apart from 1975, '87 and 2009, the Canadian GP has been on the GP calendar since 1961.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3256218)   #66
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I agree with you 100%. Canada should have a permanent track that is not impeded in any way by geographical limitations and obstacles. There's only so much track and space you can fit on a man-made island. Not to rag on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, though... it's a wonderful course!!
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3256240)   #67
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes...

The temp circuit I love though at Canada...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3256241)   #68
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I vote to keep the same venue for as long as possible. It is a formula that works very well. I definitely oppose any alternating with the US. Canada should be present every year.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3256242)   #69
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie we have a special room waiting for you in Germany..
Old 1 Jun 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3256245)   #70
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I vote to keep the same venue for as long as possible. It is a formula that works very well. I definitely oppose any alternating with the US. Canada should be present every year.
There are some venues you just do not mess with or attempt to make better

Just make some bloody tyres Pirelli and give the FIA the finger...
Old 1 Jun 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3256280)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Old 1 Jun 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3256281)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Bernie we have a special room waiting for you in Germany..
Scary.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3256340)   #73
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where did all this talk of alterating with the US come from?
Old 1 Jun 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3256385)   #74
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Where did all this talk of alterating with the US come from?
Just ideas from one poster.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3256498)   #75
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Below is a Google translation (tweaked by me) of an article from Saturday's La Presse.

This article does mention that, for Montreal to get a new contract, there must also be an agreement to spend between $26-40M on facility improvements (the U.S. and Canadian dollars are currently close to par in value).

Not much has been said about who will share these costs and how they will be shared. Given the discontent that citizens of Montreal often express about the poor state of some public infrastructure in the city (roads, bridges, etc.) not everyone would be pleased to see that much money spent to improve a facility used for a sports event like F1.

In general, there is strong support for the race in Montreal, but there's also a segment of the population that would be happy to see an end to the race. I hope we see new agreements soon on funding both the sanctioning fee and the facility improvements, but I would not be surprised to see the negotiations drag on for awhile.

Canadian Grand Prix: the future remains uncertain
Sebastian Templar | La Presse
Published on June 1, 2013 | Updated June 1, 2013 at 8:39

While authorities were hopeful of announcing good news at the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada next week, the future of the event in Montreal for the next 10 years is still not assured. The blame, it seems, falls on Ottawa which does not want to provide additional financial support. The reason is not yet understood and the negotiations continue.

The future of the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Montreal boomeranged this week. While different levels of government had only to agree on the sharing of costs for improvements to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, it was learned Wednesday - by our colleagues in the Journal de Montreal - that the federal government does not want to provide the annual increases needed to sustain the event in Quebec.

Ottawa's position surprised its partners, the Government of Quebec, the City of Montreal and Tourisme Montreal. Until the end of last winter, each of these parties had agreed that the next agreement signed with Bernie Ecclestone would include indexing of 4% of the annual government contribution, which amounts to $15 million through 2014. This meant that in 2024, the last year of the new contract to be concluded, the contribution would have reached $22.2 million, divided between the four partners.

It now appears that Ottawa does not want to pay additional amounts corresponding to this increase. The federal government currently pays $5 million per year. Basically, it is $ 200,000 per year in additional funds under the new agreement.

This attitude is all the more surprising since there is a another financial agreement that must be concluded if everyone wants to see Formula 1 in Quebec until 2024. The International Automobile Federation and Bernie Ecclestone, the boss F1, require the infrastructure of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (pit lane, garages, paddock and control tower) be modernized. An estimate of the total bill for this work varies between $26 and $40 million, depending on the scenario. No work, no Grand Prix in the future. This request is legitimate, since Montreal is among the F1 circuits whose facilities are in serious need of improvement.

Negotiations continue

This about-face by Ottawa has forced new negotiations. Asked about the issue Wednesday in the House of Commons, the Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities Denis Lebel said the federal government "will not negotiate in public."

"We will continue to work with our partners, that's not new, he said. [...] We are fully aware of the importance of the Grand Prix in Montreal, for Quebec and for Canada. We will continue to work with our partners, but of course we respect the ability of taxpayers to pay. "

Both Ottawa and Quebec refused to elaborate on the current discussions between the partners. The Quebec Minister for Tourism, Pascal Bérubé, displayed some optimism. "Negotiations continue between the four partners," said his publicist, Valerie Christmas-Létourneau.

The current contract ends next year, so there is still time for reaching an agreement among the governments and so signal to Bernie Ecclestone that we are ready to sign for the next 10 years.

"I remain optimistic, the various levels of government will find a solution, says the promoter of the race, François Dumontier. It remains to be seen if it can be done before or during the weekend of the Grand Prix or during the following weeks. "

Bernie Ecclestone waits for a phone call to give the green light to continue the event.