Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Apr 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3390996)   #101
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gene Haas to buy Marussia F1?

Marussia F1 is looking for a new owner. And with the Ferrari connection, it would make a lot sense than trying to start from ground up.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3391036)   #102
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fi...ay-ecclestone/
Apparently to be announced today that Haas is accepted.

Kolles will have to wait a little longer it seems.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3391097)   #103
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Gene Haas to buy Marussia F1?

Marussia F1 is looking for a new owner. And with the Ferrari connection, it would make a lot sense than trying to start from ground up.
I think it makes a ton of sense if you are looking for generic entry into F1. I don't know how well it might mesh with the concept of a "US" team. I assume Haas still wants to have a dual operations situation in which (long term) design and construction happens in the US, but the team has a European center for the non fly circuits.

I just don't know what all a purchase of Marussia would get you. I assume a large part of it is both IP (a working car design) and facilities. The IP part makes sense, but if the long term goal is to move, I think it would be an odd situation in the short term given you would run a season out of the current HQ and then move the design and construction to US? If I was working for Marussia today and Haas bought them and I didn't want to relocate to US, would I say for the short term while they built up the US operations or flee at the first chance to another team?

Purchase of Marussia might be a slam dunk (or not). I would love to hear other opinions.

Richard
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3391112)   #104
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could have sworn that another company called Marussia, unrelated to the car company, already bought the team.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3391121)   #105
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im confused.

if Haas is buying Marussia then why would they be concerned about gaining an F1 entry position from the FIA? surely the purchase of Marussia already gives them that entry no?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3391165)   #106
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I could have sworn that another company called Marussia, unrelated to the car company, already bought the team.
The F1 team is now owned by Marussia Communications Ltd.

What they'll do with it is anyone's guess.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3391179)   #107
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
im confused.

if Haas is buying Marussia then why would they be concerned about gaining an F1 entry position from the FIA? surely the purchase of Marussia already gives them that entry no?
That is a point I should have made above. One additional reason to buy Marussia (beyond IP for the car and hard assets I mentioned above) is the F1 entry. I assume that has no real value to Haas.

As to the ownership by Marussia Communications Ltd, I am assuming that was just legal tricks to separate them financially from the failed car company. Who knows where the money comes from at this point?

Richard
Old 11 Apr 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3391197)   #108
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
It's confirmed: Haas granted an entry for 2015

I can't read the Autosport article though, my free views have run out.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3391200)   #109
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
It's confirmed: Haas granted an entry for 2015

I can't read the Autosport article though, my free views have run out.
Racer.com re-posts most of the Autosport stories and they don't have a limit.

Quote:
Gene Haas, founder of Haas Automation and co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, has been granted a Formula 1 license by the FIA ā€“ the international motorsports governing body ā€“ Haas announced Friday.

F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone said last Sunday that he expected the Haas group's bid for a license to join the F1 grid for 2015 to be accepted, although he noted that the granting of a license itself is no guarantee that the team would materialize.

"Obviously, we're extremely pleased to have been granted a Formula 1license by the FIA. It's an exciting time for me, Haas Automation and anyone who wanted to see an American team return to Formula 1," said Haas. "Now, the really hard work begins. It's a challenge we embrace as we work to put cars on the grid.

"I want to thank the FIA for this opportunity and the diligence everyone put forth to see our license application come to fruition."

Founded in 1983 and based in Oxnard, Calif., Haas Automation is the largest CNC machine tool builder in the western world. Stewart-Haas Racing won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship in 2011.

Haas also founded Windshear, a 180-mph rolling-road wind tunnel in Concord, N.C., that is the first of its kind in North America. It is only the third rolling-road wind tunnel of its scale in existence and the world's first commercially available, full-scale, rolling-road wind tunnel.

Haas plans to stage a press conference in Charlotte on Monday to reveal additional details of his plans.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3391209)   #110
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, they can put Danica Patrick out in the car. Chase Elliott could then take the Cup seat in the #10 car, which keeps him within the Hendrick fold.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3391216)   #111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Great, they can put Danica Patrick out in the car. Chase Elliott could then take the Cup seat in the #10 car, which keeps him within the Hendrick fold.
Danica Patrick in F1, I'd like to see that. As for Marussia I hope Haas doesn't buy them. I'd like to see a new team come in from scratch, rather than the remains of a team morphing into a new one.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3391227)   #112
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Danica Patrick in F1, I'd like to see that.
in all seriousness given the renewed priority on driver weight i think the timing is right for a woman to step into an f1 race drive.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3391243)   #113
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
in all seriousness given the renewed priority on driver weight i think the timing is right for a woman to step into an f1 race drive.
The last time I saw a woman in F1, was DesirƩ Wilson at the 1980 British GP at Brands.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3391269)   #114
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Great news, it's about time we had an American team owner in F1..
Old 11 Apr 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3391298)   #115
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if the other entry is the rumoured Kolles/Romanian-funded team, I hope they let them in as well. The more the merrier, plus as it brings the grid up to 26 (Marussia issues notwithstanding) it safeguards the value of the rest of the grid to an extent.

I do wonder whatever happened to Stefan GP in all of this? Would have thought that they would have been sniffing around this situation. Potential suitors for Marussia perhaps?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3391304)   #116
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's not buying Marussia, he's starting a new team. whatever happens to Marussia is unrelated to Haas

Last edited by Tucky; 11 Apr 2014 at 23:33. Reason: EDIT: meant to quote post #105 for this post to make sense
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3391305)   #117
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So assuming Haas does not purchase Marussia, what are the other options?

Does the US, or the world outside of the current F1 teams in general, have the depth of engineering and mechanical know how to field an F1 team that will actually be anywhere other than several seconds behind the current field?

Are there engineers out there from old Cart or Indycar days that will be able to build an F1 chassis that can be competitive over the next few seasons?
Old 11 Apr 2014, 23:38 (Ref:3391306)   #118
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
We landed on the moon didn't we ..
Old 12 Apr 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3391317)   #119
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Using technology invented in F1 though!
Old 12 Apr 2014, 01:54 (Ref:3391346)   #120
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There's Simona I suppose. Oddly enough she is probably as qualified as many F1 rookies. Has she driven an F1 car yet?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3391349)   #121
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd like to see a new team come in from scratch, rather than the remains of a team morphing into a new one.
When was the last time a new F1 team came in from 100% scratch and won a race in the modern era of F1?
Or even finished on the podium?

I'm assuming Gene Haas has ambitions of winning a race. Or finishing on the podium. That task is made much more difficult if you start from scratch today. The most recent team to start from scratch is Team Lotus (Caterham F1) in 2010. Not doing so well, and could be shutting up shop at the end of this season according to team owner Tony Fernandes.

I think McLaren, Williams, Scuderia Ferrari, Sauber and Caterham are the only current teams to start from scratch. Technically, Williams F1 started with a March chassis, so not 100% from scratch either. Even Scuderia Ferrari was affiliated with Alfa Romeo before they were Scuderia Ferrari. All the other current teams were all formed after a buy out of another team.

I cannot see Hass' F1 team winning a GP, or a podium finish as Hass F1 in their first five years, minimum - if they start from scratch. But I hope I'm proven wrong, as I would love to see a new team fighting up front with the best.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:24 (Ref:3391355)   #122
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
When was the last time a new F1 team came in from 100% scratch and won a race in the modern era of F1?

I'm assuming Gene Haas has ambitions of winning a race. Or finishing on the podium. That task is made much more difficult if you start from scratch today. The most recent team to start from scratch is Team Lotus (Caterham F1) in 2010. Not doing so well, and could be shutting up shop at the end of this season according to team owner Tony Fernandes.

I think McLaren, Williams, Scuderia Ferrari, Sauber and Caterham are the only current teams to start from scratch. Technically, Williams F1 started with a March chassis, so not 100% from scratch either. Even Scuderia Ferrari was affiliated with Alfa Romeo before they were Scuderia Ferrari. All the other current teams were all formed after a buy out of another team.

I cannot see Hass' F1 team winning a GP, or a podium finish as Hass F1 in their first five years, minimum - if they start from scratch. But I hope I'm proven wrong, as I would love to see a new team fighting up front with the best.
It doesn't mean it can't be done and it doesn't mean they have to win a race in their first season, the fact is it's refreshing and F1 needs that. You still want the same old.....just askin' ?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:48 (Ref:3391358)   #123
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Walter Wolf Racing Jody Scheckter Argentina 1977.

Gene Haas' biggest problem is no testing and no development, just makes it impossible for a new team taking on the establishment!
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3391362)   #124
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

My first post was much more long winded and included a statement saying I recognise the US is not to be underestimated etc, but this post was lost to the realms of the internet so I summarised my second.

Again, I acknowledge there are plenty of great engineers in the states, but I only mean in relation to F1 itself. It is a very specific type of knowledge, and it would save several years of catching up if people with previous experience can be found.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 03:11 (Ref:3391365)   #125
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just my personal opinion (and I may be completely off here), but I think one of the biggest problems for new teams is the cost. Even if Haas has a decent sized budget, a lot of that would go into starting the team, whereas every other team is already set up, never mind competing with them on a level playing field.

I agree with wnut about the testing as well, but is there another option? Perhaps the brand new teams could get a few more days testing. Can't see the other teams allowing it but it's one possibility