Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Dec 2020, 12:59 (Ref:4020373)   #1651
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its a tough one, as whilst i'm sure the Halo protected him in the initial barrier impact, I do wonder if it hindered him in the exit of the vehicle due to how the car was angled against the barrier. It looked to me as though a piece of barrier got twisted around the halo which then pinned the car sideways against the armco.

There are so many measures that they could introduce to improve safety, I mean if they really wanted they could insist that every driver has to compete with a roll cage around them, but that wouldn't be in the interests of F1, would it be safer? Absolutely, but probably not acceptable.
Old 3 Dec 2020, 13:07 (Ref:4020378)   #1652
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He would have exited the vehicle a lot easier without the halo certainly, albeit as two sections..
Old 3 Dec 2020, 13:23 (Ref:4020382)   #1653
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
There are so many measures that they could introduce to improve safety, I mean if they really wanted they could insist that every driver has to compete with a roll cage around them, but that wouldn't be in the interests of F1, would it be safer? Absolutely, but probably not acceptable.
Effectively this is what they’ve got with the monocoque and the halo. And initially, at least, it wasn’t thought to be in the interests of to quite a few people.
Old 3 Dec 2020, 19:34 (Ref:4020459)   #1654
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
He would have exited the vehicle a lot easier without the halo certainly, albeit as two sections..
Personally, I would rather see a full LMP style cockpit enclosure, as that way its unlikely it would have become twisted into the barrier material. Of course the next question is why did the barrier fail.

I think its about time the "safer barrier" made a more widespread appearance across tracks in Europe and the rest of the world. I understand its in use a lot in the US.
Old 3 Dec 2020, 20:07 (Ref:4020466)   #1655
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But generally not on road course straightaways.

Maybe it expensively should.
Old 3 Dec 2020, 20:49 (Ref:4020475)   #1656
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Personally, I would rather see a full LMP style cockpit enclosure, as that way its unlikely it would have become twisted into the barrier material. Of course the next question is why did the barrier fail.

I think its about time the "safer barrier" made a more widespread appearance across tracks in Europe and the rest of the world. I understand its in use a lot in the US.
I think you are right, armco always seems to fail.

There is this analysis of the crash that I posted in the race thread as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu0YOjpe8i4
Old 4 Dec 2020, 10:57 (Ref:4020562)   #1657
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SAFER and Tec-Pro barriers do seem to have been quite impressive, though they are not perfect. There was that weird incident in the Russian F2 race this year where the cars went under the barrier and then there was an oil fire (with no fire hoses within the same county seemingly). Everyone got out hunky dorey but it could have been somewhat different if the barrier had landed differently (I am presuming they are too heavy for a driver to shove out of the way). That said, it should be very straightforward to avoid that kind of thing in future.

It is often the case with safety that you solve loads of problems but create a new one. You can argue the halo does that because it impedes getting out of the car in certain situations, which is where Grosjean was extremely lucky on Sunday. But you could have that crash a thousand times and 99.999% of the time you probably just bounce back onto the track.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 13:18 (Ref:4020584)   #1658
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think RoGro’s accident was the luckiest escape since Martin Donnelly’s accident at Jerez 30 years ago.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 06:07 (Ref:4039135)   #1659
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FIA conclude their accident investigation.

peak force equivalent to 67g.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-conclud...grand-prix-and
Old 6 Mar 2021, 10:35 (Ref:4039162)   #1660
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

Over time it looks like a lot of small, incremental improvements will come from this report. I note that one of the many pieces of work is a review of barrier openings, alongside novel barrier designs to better cope with a range of incident types. Also reviewing the methodology of circuit licensing and homologation, too.

No knee jerk stuff. Good.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 10:54 (Ref:4039165)   #1661
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

67G! I believe that means he went from 119mph to 0mph in 0.08 seconds, twice as fast as their reaction times at the start of a race. It is also the amount of time it takes for a reflex response to be carried out (I think), meaning that in the time it takes for someone to draw their hand away from a hot plate, Grosjean's speed had decreased by over 100mph. It is incredible that he survived.
Old 5 May 2021, 11:10 (Ref:4049806)   #1662
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
in the time it takes for someone to draw their hand away from a hot plate, Grosjean's speed had decreased by over 100mph. It is incredible that he survived.
To take the story to the next stage - Romain Grosjean is to drive a Mercedes on a one-off return to Formula 1 following his fiery accident at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Grosjean will do a demonstration run in Lewis Hamilton's 2020 W10 at the French Grand Prix on 27 June, and a test at the same track two days later.

'Mercedes F1 boss Wolff said: "We are very happy to support Romain with this special opportunity. The idea first came when it looked like Romain would be ending his active career in F1 and we didn't want his accident to be his last moment in an F1 car.

"Romain's accident remains us of the dangers these guys face each time they climb into the cockpit, but it's also a testament to the incredible steps this sport has taken to improve safety over the year. I know the F1 community will celebrate seeing Romain back on track."'
Old 6 May 2021, 00:43 (Ref:4049954)   #1663
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
To take the story to the next stage - Romain Grosjean is to drive a Mercedes on a one-off return to Formula 1 following his fiery accident at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Grosjean will do a demonstration run in Lewis Hamilton's 2020 W10 at the French Grand Prix on 27 June, and a test at the same track two days later.

'Mercedes F1 boss Wolff said: "We are very happy to support Romain with this special opportunity. The idea first came when it looked like Romain would be ending his active career in F1 and we didn't want his accident to be his last moment in an F1 car.

"Romain's accident remains us of the dangers these guys face each time they climb into the cockpit, but it's also a testament to the incredible steps this sport has taken to improve safety over the year. I know the F1 community will celebrate seeing Romain back on track."'
Heart warming gesture from Toto. nice to see.
Should have great promotional value for Mercedes in France too.
Old 7 May 2021, 09:29 (Ref:4050167)   #1664
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see Toto honouring his promise of giving him one last run
Old 8 May 2021, 05:37 (Ref:4050262)   #1665
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Nice to see Toto honouring his promise of giving him one last run
Nice to see RoGro get a chance to drive too, thankfully the FIA were not still sitting on their hands jawing on about solutions to cockpit protection.
Old 8 May 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4050289)   #1666
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Heart warming gesture from Toto. nice to see.
Should have great promotional value for Mercedes in France too.
Of course!!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4073419)   #1667
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another incident today that (hopefully) we can all agree was another example of the halo providing protection to a driver.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:20 (Ref:4073447)   #1668
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep. The outcome without a halo doesn't bear thinking about. They also need to remove those sausages from turn 1 asap......
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4073449)   #1669
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is no doubt that the halo helped to protect Hamilton today, but the incident also highlighted the deficiency of the Halo. Namely encroachment from above.

Would an enclosed cockpit have done better, we'll never know for sure, but there are 2 areas I'd point out.

Firstly it was the halo itself that caused the floor to break on the RB as it came overhead, it was only that sufficient of the rear of the floor was on the airbox/roll hoop, that prevented large pieces of floor entering the cockpit from above.

Secondly is the RB's rear wheel and how it came across the top of the halo and Hamilton's head, It would be interesting if images were released of any marks or damage to Hamilton's helmet.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:42 (Ref:4073456)   #1670
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Secondly is the RB's rear wheel and how it came across the top of the halo and Hamilton's head, It would be interesting if images were released of any marks or damage to Hamilton's helmet.

Old 12 Sep 2021, 21:06 (Ref:4073463)   #1671
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That first image really sends a shiver ....
Old 13 Sep 2021, 23:24 (Ref:4073730)   #1672
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Wonder if Mr Hamilton is grateful that his advice was ignored when the halo was forced into F1 yet.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 01:11 (Ref:4073741)   #1673
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, he said he was very grateful and praise the development of safety.

What is great is that he can change his opinion.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 02:12 (Ref:4073753)   #1674
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep. The outcome without a halo doesn't bear thinking about. They also need to remove those sausages from turn 1 asap......
Why?
Its not a part of the racing surface.
There is a line that is the edge of the racing surface.
Then a curb that is outside the racing surface but you are allowed to use by placing your inside wheels on it,
The sausage curb is then there to discourage people from crossing the real curb and short cutting the corner.
There are other bars there painted in stripes for the same reason.
There is also a clearly defined path inside the judders bars to enable people caught out or late braking to cross the chicane area without causing damage to the car and rejoining on the other side of the chicane.
But of course they can't get an advantage from it and must redress any place gained.

But its not dangerous UNLESS you try to overtake by going off the circuit and then you are at fault and the author of your own misfortune. You may also be the author of someone else's misfortune.
In that case you will get a penalty.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 04:02 (Ref:4073763)   #1675
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Why?
Its not a part of the racing surface.
There is a line that is the edge of the racing surface.
Then a curb that is outside the racing surface but you are allowed to use by placing your inside wheels on it,
The sausage curb is then there to discourage people from crossing the real curb and short cutting the corner.
There are other bars there painted in stripes for the same reason.
There is also a clearly defined path inside the judders bars to enable people caught out or late braking to cross the chicane area without causing damage to the car and rejoining on the other side of the chicane.
But of course they can't get an advantage from it and must redress any place gained.

But its not dangerous UNLESS you try to overtake by going off the circuit and then you are at fault and the author of your own misfortune. You may also be the author of someone else's misfortune.
In that case you will get a penalty.