Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Feb 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2395528)   #1
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oldtimer GP

Does anyone know whether the AvD Oldtimer GP has a UK "Ambassador" or representative, as certain bigger events do?

The reason is that I was hoping to run in the Nurburgring Trophy 100 this year, in my TR5, but my latest attempt to elicit some information via the event's website has left me with the feeling that this Nordschleife Race may have been dropped, leaving only the 500km Marathon - which I don't really think either me or my car are up for!

Obviously I've tried a message via the form on the website, but I'm getting no response as yet, hence I'm looking to see if there is anyone in the UK involved in organising (or coordinating UK participation) in this particular event.

Having had Roadsports turfed out of the Silverstone Classic, this was going to be my other 'big' weekend this year, and I'd even convinced the Mrs and Daughter to spend their summer holiday in Germany based around this meeting, so I'll be disappointed if I end up not be able to run after all. Not only that, but I've just got FIA App K papers for the car specifically for one-off events such as this, and furthermore my employer has a big office in Cologne, so there was a chance of running a little low-key corporate hospitality for their guests, and perhaps having my entry fee or travel costs picked up!

Can anyone suggest a worthwhile contact?

James
Old 11 Feb 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2395600)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
can't answer your specifics, but I wouldn't be put off by the thought of a 500 race - I did the ADAC 400 in a Midget last year, actually run as 2 x 1.5 hours on successive mornings, and it was simply brilliant. Would have thought a TR5 stronger than MG, just switch the brain into endurance mode and Robert's yer dad's brother...
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2395665)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is their website http://www.avd.de/ogpracing/english/index.html, but knowing AVD don't expect them to reply fast.
Will try and find something out what is happening.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2395690)   #4
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Thanks Eddy - anything you can find out would be really helpful.

James
Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2396101)   #5
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading their infos on the webpage, it really seems as if there is only the 500 on Friday. The remaining two days the event is GP circuit only.
That would also fit in with the new informations, that the (usually run during the cancelled Oldtimer Festival) Vintage Nürburgring event is run at the OGP weekend. So obviously only the pre war racers run on the Nordschleife (and on the closed for traffic Südschleife) on Saturday and Sunday.
I have also sent them an enquiry for further infos some time ago (and again yesterday), but as mentioned before, this might take a while to get answered.

Ralf
Old 14 Feb 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2397595)   #6
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a 90 minute Youngtimer race on the Nordschleife at the OGP meeting.
Alex
Old 16 Feb 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2398479)   #7
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Alex E,

Thanks for that interesting info, it doesn't tie-up with the info on the AVD's Oldtimer GP website, but I've found mention of the race on Yountimer's website. My German is completely non-existant, so are you able to tell me any more about Youngtimer races, what sort of cars, what sorts of regs they run to, etc., from the photos I can see on the website it would appear that my 1968 TR5 might be somewhat out of place on a Youngtimer grid.

Do Youngtimer races enjoy a good reputation as far driving standards are concerned?

Thanks for your help.

James
Old 16 Feb 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2398585)   #8
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Youngtimer generally aren't bad at all. Driving standards are okay, once and a while there is a hot headed driver.
They run to 4 periodic specs: 66-71, 72-75, 76-81 and 82-88. Cars have to be comply according their period. As far as I remember there are some TR5s in that championship.
Race length varies.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2398592)   #9
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Thanks Eddy, this potentially sounds quite interesting.

I wonder when AVD will be able to give some official information, or will the Youngtimer race be administered by them, rather than AVD?
Old 16 Feb 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2398630)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
YT have their own organisation and run a race within the 24 hour organisation. It should be no problem to contact YT in English.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2400101)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Just spoke to Mr. Wolf at AVD. The 2009 programm should be almost the same as it was in 2008.
On Friday they intend to run the Marathon 500km, including the German FHR championship and Youngtimer, on the Nordschleife.
Saturday - Sunday it should be business as usual on the GP track with Historic Grand Prix cars, Orwell Supersports, Saloon and GTs. The exact programm wasn't clear yet, but they hope to have everything in place by mid April.
Entryforms should be available by mid / end April.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2410079)   #12
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Eddy, thanks for your info, I've been travelling for last 3 weeks, hence no response.

I've managed to make contact with the Youngtimer organisation, and am now on their mailing list for news updates as the plan comes together.

I understand that the YT race will run on the Nordschleife only, not the combined circuit including the modern GP track that will be used for the Marathon. I guess we'll be in a paddock away from the OGP too. My plan had been to coordinate with a colleague who will be racing at the OGP, and to use the event for a little low-key hospitality for our german office in Koln - so having us split apart and running on different circuits isn't really going to suit us very well from that perspective.

Still, I'll probably do the race as I've always wanted to put a Nordschleife race into my 'logbook'!

Is there anyone else out there who might also do this race. 1.5 hour, Nordschleife only, Friday August 6th. Costs tba.

James
Old 9 Mar 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2412142)   #13
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
Just spoke to Mr. Wolf at AVD. The 2009 programm should be almost the same as it was in 2008.
On Friday they intend to run the Marathon 500km, including the German FHR championship and Youngtimer, on the Nordschleife.
Saturday - Sunday it should be business as usual on the GP track with Historic Grand Prix cars, Orwell Supersports, Saloon and GTs. The exact programm wasn't clear yet, but they hope to have everything in place by mid April.
Entryforms should be available by mid / end April.
Hi Eddy.
Thank you for your informations.
I was just wondering if a race on the gp circuit for Touring cars up to 65 will be organized again this year .
Old 9 Mar 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2412311)   #14
Racesport
Rookie

Italy
Milano, Itlay
Racesport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad that, for the first time after several years, NO Formula Juniors will race this year at OGP!!!
Old 9 Mar 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2412520)   #15
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Maybe they will, as the AVD still hadn't finalised everything when I asked.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2412769)   #16
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe they will, as the AVD still hadn't finalised everything when I asked.
Please do some lobbying if you can.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2412979)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Lobbying? AVD?
No, will never work.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2413424)   #18
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lobbying? AVD?
No, will never work.
If you were a nice lady , yes you can.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2413436)   #19
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
But I'm an ugly bloke and not nice at all.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2413945)   #20
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see the Masters have pulled their races from this years oldtimer ??
Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2416659)   #21
pieterbakker
Racer

European Union
Zandvoort (NL)
pieterbakker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
11th Eifel Mountains Classic

Quote:
But I'm an ugly bloke and not nice at all.
There is another ugly bloke organising the '11th Eifel Mountains Classic' at 28-29 August. An all comer race with four hours of circuit time and hospitality included.

Have a look at; http://www.fisc-eurotour.org/circuit-nordschleife.html

Cheers,

Old 7 May 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2457395)   #22
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Further to my 'tribulations' with the Italians ...

Has anyone got any regs or entry forms for OGP yet ...?

I'm still hoping to do a Nordschleife race on the Friday, but not the Marathon. I believe there will be another race run by AvD (seen nothing in writing yet!), and perhaps a third with the Youngtimers (I've established contact with the latter, seem a nice bunch but to be very honest I rather run with more period cars than Youngtimer grid if the opportunity exists. But will happily run with Youngtimer if not.

Would be interested to know what other people know so far ...

James