Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2413548)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
And therein lies the problem. It is just miserable being swamped by Chevron B8s when you are driving a 1960 Lotus Elite on very skinny wheels. It's not that I don't see the Chevrons but can anybody English explain why they always seem to give me a variation of Churchill's victory sign as they pass?
Elitism?
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2413550)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anti-Elitism surely......
Old 11 Mar 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2413690)   #28
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the only point I am trying to make is that the addition to a GT race of Sports Racing Cars can ruin the race for the "production sports cars". B8s certainly did for me a few years ago (and I have not raced with Guards since) but it has also happened in the European Historique GTC series where last year we were joined by M1 BMWs on slicks and Sports 2000s on slicks. You might think that even a well driven Elite (that is when Iain Rowley is driving) could get in the way of those sorts of cars. It is genuinely miserable spending all but the first few laps looking in your mirrors, constantly.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2413692)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
period sports racers are totally appropriate... the answer is to get more sports and gt to enter then teh invitation class gets squeezed out.. I would love to see more Elites etc..
Old 11 Mar 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2413796)   #30
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guards trophy

Apparently the Donington race is fully subscribed, so it seems as if the the formula works for some of us. More generally, I think the fact that the faster sports racers are typically well-driven is a factor in that. It's also the case, historically-speaking, that the reason they are there is that the over-sized MGBs aren't. A case of careful what you wish for, perhaps.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2413863)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
More people will race in UK rather than spend those Euro's to race in Europe.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2427086)   #32
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
period sports racers are totally appropriate... the answer is to get more sports and gt to enter then teh invitation class gets squeezed out.. I would love to see more Elites etc..
This does not appear to be the case looking at the Donington entry list and the make up of the 6 reserves.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2427950)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted View Post
This does not appear to be the case looking at the Donington entry list and the make up of the 6 reserves.
I know and cant give you a logical explanation other then teh reserves must have entered late. Shipman's Crossle is a 1969 car so that would always be an invitation class car....
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2428264)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
its not so much a budget compromise as a sensible option

If you want to get ripped off then go for it, theres plenty of choice there.

just because its expensive doesn't mean to say its good
Old 4 Apr 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2433528)   #35
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted View Post
Could I edit that to "Little twin cam sports racers producing 125BHP mixing it". In period maybe. but lately they simply bugger off into the distance and the next thing you see is three or four helmets zooming past. Unless of course they are Chevrons in which case they have already zoomed past.
125 bhp? not if you beleive some of the claims for little twin cams power output.....
The proof could be in the pudding tomorrow.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2433571)   #36
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The 1600 Twin Cams in 23's and Merlyns have bettween 175 and 195 brake.
Of course they have more when they are closer to 1900 but that's usually in the 26R's
Old 5 Apr 2009, 05:03 (Ref:2433703)   #37
simon drabble
Veteran

I would agree with that - mine is 180 but you would be forgiven for thinking it only had 125 when I drive it!
Old 5 Apr 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2433724)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
it amazed me that a claimed 180 bhp in an LC couldn't outdrag me with 134 bhp ladt summer, theres no accounting for foot weight obviously but a lot of printed output figures are about as accurate as your average bankers forecast!
Old 5 Apr 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2434453)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We all agree there's loads of bulls...t involved .My old Merlyn has 185 to 195 depending on circuit.I assume that helped it win the Guards Trophy Race last Oct at Donnington.
Driver and Wheather had a bit to do with it.Adrian slowed it down and Gareth speeded it up.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2434563)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I've not met Gareths better half, but I know first hand that the lovely Mrs VDC pours claret faster then Mr VDC can pedal

I, quite probably, subsequently made sufficient a tit of myself to testify!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2450773)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

sorry to ressurect this thread but its worth noting in these reccessionary times that the 1 hour race at Silverstone 9 May is oversubscribed with reserves - again!

I think the comments previously about UK rounds being more popular seem to be bearing out.....
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2450785)   #42
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe some of you Pre-66 and later boys may like a run out with CTCRC at Silverstone 16/17th May. Pre 66 membership is only £25 or you could have a 3day membership of CTCRC and BARC for just £25, also we will feed you as well!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2451290)   #43
simon drabble
Veteran

is this a saloon or sports car race Al and which circuit?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2451296)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Saloons but there in an invitation class in classic thunder and unfortunately National but it is a double header at £265 and if you want to be really greedy you can 3rd and 4th races at vastly discounted rates, all races now a minimum 20 minutes as we have done away with the green flag lap but have a single fast out lap behind the pace car, makes for less hanging around and more track time, this is all accept Classic Thunder as some of the field are on slicks..
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2451307)   #45
simon drabble
Veteran

which makes HSCC meeting on the International circuit seem great value.. of course Guards Trophy is a double header with 2 x 1 hour races over the weekend (the second courtesy of Flavien and Vanessa Marcais).
Al its difficult to get too excited about the National circuit especially if I am going to race my little Turner against cars on slicks!!!!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2451344)   #46
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon, I have entered my Elite on skinny cut tyres in both the 1 hour races at the International to be driven by the internationally acclaimed racing driver, Iain Rowley and another stand in driver for me. Will you be there with your Turner?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2451349)   #47
simon drabble
Veteran

I will! Well to be strictly accurate I will be in the Guards in the Merlyn and Flavien's race in eth Turner. I guess with the uncertainly at Donington that weekend we could probably turn our entries for a good profit!!!!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2451350)   #48
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
I don't know - I had to take out a mortgage to pay Flav's entry and registration fee!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2451355)   #49
simon drabble
Veteran

I am sure he will have a nice souvenier cap or something for us to jsutify the cost!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2451371)   #50
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The email from HSCC quoted the figure 51 entries. At what stage I wonder does it become worth running 2 races. One for GTs and one for the rest?