Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Jun 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3832471)   #16
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I shall be there!
Old 23 Jun 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3832606)   #17
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I suppose I should probably come back

Scary how quick it will come round though!
Old 25 Jun 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3833004)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never been mostly due to my own racing commitments or work, but I see there are packages for a pop-up hotel or "glamping" which may be a good plan.

Have to give it some thought.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3833006)   #19
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Foul in Game
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You know you want to Peter - come on in!
Old 25 Jun 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3833013)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I've just been looking at some of the packages. Could be good fun. If I were to choose a grandstand (would also want to see other parts of the track) which would you recommend? I was thinking Wimille since I think you can see the Dunlop bridge from there too.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3833032)   #21
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Foul in Game
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those who have a GS seat (I've always had one for the last 15 years or so) will have preferences for different reasons. We sit in Durand (T17) (apart from last year) but that and the ACO stand (T18) are ACO members only. If I had a completely free choice as a non-member, I would go for the Pits Grandstand (T34) as, being a very amateur photographer, it offers unimpeded views of the cars along the straight. But we don't actually know what the fate of that stand is now. The stands to the right of T17 (looking across from the pits) all look fine, but aren't very weather-proofed. They generally have canopy covers. Wimille does have that advantage of seeing back up the straight and a view of the chicane, but I've never been in it. Dunlop is good for the chicane but you can only see the cars from the point of turning into the first right-hander. Last year, due to a ticket hiccup, we sat in Raccordement - overlooking the Ford Chicane. It's a great spot allowing you to watch the cars through the chicane and then on up the straight, but if you want any hope of taking photos, you need to be high up. But then the same goes for all of the stands along the straight as even at the top of Durand, the debris fencing obscures half of the track and you really have to wait for overtakes to take photos (which basically means you are always photographing prototypes overtaking GTs). Remember though, if you get there for any of the practice/qualifying on Wednesday or Thursday, you can sit in any stand (except T17/T18) for free. Your GS ticket is only valid for the race itself. If T34 wasn't available and I wasn't a member, I might well choose Raccordement or Wimille for a change.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3833033)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ok so having got a GS seat, what do you do for getting around the circuit during the race.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3833038)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Walk the majority of it, driving or taking the bus to mulsanne or arnarge takes ages, best to go there for qualy and spend the race at the main circuit.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3833039)   #24
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Foul in Game
20KPINAL

England
Well, you can walk easily from the Ford Chicane right around to Tertre Rouge. You can also walk out to the Porsche Curves (outside the circuit), although that's a bit of a trek and perhaps not something for the heat of the day (not when you're my age, anyway). Beyond that, you're looking for some kind of transport. This year I drove over for the first time and I found navigation out to Arnage (and Indianapolis) and Mulsanne Corner very easy, although having been passenger so many times, it was all very recognisable (other than a wrong turn leaving Arnage on Wednesday evening). From the main car parks (we use Parking Blanc), it only takes 10 minutes in light traffic to get to Arnage. But you can get held up (as we did during qually) by traffic passing along the road outside the circuit, made 100 times worse by the idiotic camping area marshals who allow cars to block the road while accessing the campsite). If you're going out to Mulsanne, it's another 15 minute or so drive. I recognised the way, but it's pretty well signposted. You'd then need to apply a multiplyer if you go by bike. Others here will probably do the bike trip and can give you a better idea. Having a car there is a real boon though. We always buy the extra Arnage/Mulsanne parking tickets and although others say they're not necessary, this year we were asked to show our ticket every time we went to Arnage or Mulsanne. They're only €15 so not much more than the cost of a sandwich americain merguez and a coke.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3833040)   #25
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Foul in Game
20KPINAL

England
For sure, as Simon rightly points out, there's a shuttle bus that goes out to Arnage and Mulsanne. You can wait a bit of time to get collected though. I haven't used them for years, so they might be better now than when I last used them way back.... Walking to Arnage or Mulsanne is not an option I would pursue, personally.....
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3833042)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sounds good. I'm actually looking at one of the flexotel packages rather than pure camping. Then I'd like to take the MGB down for the event.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:18 (Ref:3833043)   #27
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Foul in Game
20KPINAL

England
It would be good then if we can find a member who has done that. Anyone?

Any idea when you would think of going over Peter?
Old 25 Jun 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3833064)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Probably the Thursday. Going back on the Monday.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3833162)   #29
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you can squeeze in the Wednesday too, you get an extra 6 hours of track action (between 4pm and midnight), and an opportunity to explore the various parts of the circuit at leisure. Thursday could be a washout, and there's no track action on the Friday.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3833163)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I understand that.