Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2001, 13:26 (Ref:61338)   #1
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess some of you have listened your national anthem after a F1 race, and I don't know but it must be a great feeling. I was just wondering about the day I finally will hear the colombian anthem, after montoya's first win, oh there will be tears and whiping, but it will be the nicest moment for race fans here. So what do you think about this one, what did you felt when you first heard your anthem, and those whi haven't what's your opinion.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 14:03 (Ref:61347)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I know what you mean kuchi..it has been at least 20 years since the Australian national anthem has been played..and will be a few years tey before it is played again...sadly I have never heard "Advance Australia Fair" played at an F1 GP besides our own race..so i cant comment on what emotions were going on..only thing close is the bike GP where aussies have done very well and it sends a shiver down your spine to hear it...so i long for the day it is played at an F1 event..but I think you may hear yours before i hear mine..so enjoy it while you can
Old 31 Jan 2001, 20:09 (Ref:61436)   #3
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be nice to hear it this year, I mean, williams can give JPM his first triumph. If my friend Sharky reads this post he can tell you how anxious we are, we can´t wait longer to australia, it a great feeling though, and time is on our side.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 20:19 (Ref:61442)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been hearing that a lot in the 70's, 80's and early 90's and just once last year... To be precisely it happened 80 times !
I hope JPM starts a long serie of anthems.

Old 1 Feb 2001, 11:13 (Ref:61608)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never heard the Aussie anthem being played. Hopefully James Courtney will change things!
Old 1 Feb 2001, 13:08 (Ref:61636)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kuchi, I´ll be very proud too !
Old 1 Feb 2001, 15:38 (Ref:61650)   #7
Holly
Rookie

Holly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll never get my national anthem - instead we get stuck with God save the bloody queen! No fair! i quite like the finnish n.a. it sticks in my head for days after
Old 1 Feb 2001, 21:36 (Ref:61772)   #8
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too Holly, you hear it and it sticks in your head! I would like to hear the Italian this year, not for Ferrari particularly but for my man JARNO!!! I bet the Brazilians were weeping when they finally heard their anthem again after so long, it was one of the happiest 2000 moments for me anyway even though I'm not particularly a Rubens fan, but pretty much everyone likes him and to see him so happy was really satisfying.
Old 1 Feb 2001, 22:28 (Ref:61790)   #9
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys think you've had to wait long, we Americans haven't heard the "Star Spangled Banner" since 1978. Hopefully, with Rahal in charge of Jaguar and DAMS hiring Derek Hill (son of '61 World Champ Phil Hill) for their F3000 team, we might hear it again sometime in the near future.

However, back to the topic at hand, I rather hope that JPM wins, just to break the two-team status quo and to prove that CART drivers are great.
Old 2 Feb 2001, 01:08 (Ref:61837)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess all our Canadian hopes rest on what kind of suspension the BAR comes up with this year.

I thought it was very odd hearing "Deutchland Uber Alles" at Le Mans and not hearing the Italian anthem right after it!

Do you know what the last two words of the American Natinal Anthem are:

PLAY BALL!!!!
Old 2 Feb 2001, 13:12 (Ref:61913)   #11
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Do you know what the last two words of the American National Anthem are:

PLAY BALL!!!!

HHHMMM, Canadian humor strikes again...
Old 3 Feb 2001, 00:49 (Ref:62086)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
You guys think you've had to wait long, we Americans haven't heard the "Star Spangled Banner" since 1978. Hopefully, with Rahal in charge of Jaguar and DAMS hiring Derek Hill (son of '61 World Champ Phil Hill) for their F3000 team, we might hear it again sometime in the near future.
Jared, I'm as excited as all get up, but I've got my fingers crossed for Alex Gurney. It would be pretty cool to have a Hill and a Gurney together in F1 again!

"Ooooooooh, say can you see...."

Old 3 Feb 2001, 03:27 (Ref:62115)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
DNQ - I take it you meant you've never heard the Aussi anthem at an F1 race. We heard it a lot here during the Olympics. More stirring for us is the song representing Australian sports: Waltzing Matilda - and it is great to hear it at a Rugby Union Test. Hopefully we will hear our National Anthem before too long when Mark Webber wins his first GP. I suppose if a Kiwi wins a GP in the future, we will see a bunch of Kiwis jump up on the podium and do the haka.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 21:44 (Ref:62475)   #14
garyegrant
Rookie

garyegrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I come from a country that has produced two world champions (winning 5 titles between them) and a further two race winners but our national anthem has never been played at an F1 race. Which country? - Scotland.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 22:02 (Ref:62487)   #15
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I come from a country that has never produced one single F1 driver. I want to see a Norwegian getting a chance in an F1 car, let alone hear the national anthem.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 22:09 (Ref:62490)   #16
garyegrant
Rookie

Why aren't there any Norwegian single-seater drivers? Is it lack of resources, interest or both?
Old 4 Feb 2001, 22:11 (Ref:62492)   #17
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmph! You hear your anthem a lot! Its the British national anthem, or has Scotland devolved completely?

I often try to imagine what the driver must feel, standing on the top step, Hearing his country's anthem and and knowing that it is being played for him.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 22:54 (Ref:62506)   #18
garyegrant
Rookie

Well, I don't go around painting my face blue and run around the hills shouting 'FREEDOM!', but bear in mind that the British National Anthem is very heavily associated with only England through things like football and rugby. Besides, you've got to admit that 'Flower of Scotland' or the Welsh anthem are a lot more soul-stirring than a hymn about some old lady in London.

As for your second point, even though I'm not a big Ferrari fan, watching Rubens standing on the podium after Germany made me realise why they play the things in the first place.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 23:09 (Ref:62511)   #19
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit that we don't have the most inspiring anthem, Tune isn't too bad I suppose, but the words.....

Perhaps we should change it for the theme tune to the Archers! I mean just how British could you get?
Old 5 Feb 2001, 06:38 (Ref:62527)   #20
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I come from a country that produced a driver whom Jackie Stewart regarded as a class act

Wish damn Ford and damn Bobby Rahal stick to their word and give the boy his F1 test drive...grrrr!!!!

"You dont set pole in Macau for nothing"

Howevr, i mus say the Indian National anthem wouldnt really sound too good on an F1 podium....
Old 5 Feb 2001, 09:31 (Ref:62547)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Did an Indian qualify for pole in Macau? We don't get the telecast of Macau in Australia, which is a pity, because that race does showcase aspiring future WDC's for F1.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 17:59 (Ref:62645)   #22
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garyegrant
Why aren't there any Norwegian single-seater drivers? Is it lack of resources, interest or both?
A little bit of both, I think. Traditionally Norwegian drivers go for rallying or rallycross, and at the same time potential sponsors for launching a single-seater career for a Norwegian driver have been hard to find.

Thomas Schie was in F3000 in 97, and then in the North American Barber Dodge Pro Series in 98. But then he had to move to the Swedish Touring Car Championship for 99, and if my memory serves me correctly, it was because of lack of fundings that he had to abandon his single-seater career.