Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Notices

Old 11 Nov 2020, 13:43 (Ref:4015984)   #7621
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Question: "Mr. Enzinger, in the past few years there have been rumors that Porsche, or a brand of the Volkswagen Group, is about to enter Formula 1. How specific were these considerations really?"
Fritz Enzinger: "I might have to go back a little at this point. In our last LMP1 season, 2017, we saw that we were technically at the limit with the two-liter four-cylinder in the Porsche 919 Hybrid. We started there - before the Exit was defined - to work on a six-cylinder. "
"That was in April 2017. That is important because this decision later led to Formula 1."

"In 2017 there were signals from Formula 1 that the regulations were to be changed and that energy recovery from the exhaust gases was no longer required. As of 2017, Porsche was a member of the FIA ​​Manufacturers' Committee in discussions about the future drive strategy in Formula 1 from 2021 involved and represented at the meetings. "
"On the one hand we took part in these working groups, on the other hand the guys developed a six-cylinder engine for the WEC at the same time. Of course we thought about what would have to change if the engine were to be used in Formula 1. There are two ways of doing things like that. "

-Please forgive the google translation

Article appeared in Motorsport Total - May 2019
You basically confirmed what I have written,
porsche was in f1 next-gen engines specs talks because there were rumors about the introduction of 2-2.2L V6 without MGU-H starting from 2021, the engine base platform porsche could use both in WEC and f1, but reality told that porsche left WEC and f1 will stick with actual thermal engines.
If the 919 V6 was completed or not is basically ininfluent at the moment.
Unless a future use in a porsche LMhypercar or lmdh.
If am I not wrong more than 20 years ago, porsche was developing another f1 engine that later became the 5.6L V10 of carrera gt
Old 11 Nov 2020, 14:24 (Ref:4015997)   #7622
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
It was a shame the Porsche engine didn't happen in F1. It missed a good opportunity, but there you go. OTOH it could have been a disaster if they didn't get it right. In reality it would have been tough developing the same engine in both series. You'd think them leaving WEC would have made it happen in F1, but obviously not

But at least they had the plans in place. Hopefully that engine will be more competitive in sportscars. And yes, I do think the engine they used in F1 in the early 90s was used elsewhere, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest
Old 11 Nov 2020, 14:37 (Ref:4016002)   #7623
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It was a shame the Porsche engine didn't happen in F1. It missed a good opportunity, but there you go. OTOH it could have been a disaster if they didn't get it right. In reality it would have been tough developing the same engine in both series. You'd think them leaving WEC would have made it happen in F1, but obviously not

But at least they had the plans in place. Hopefully that engine will be more competitive in sportscars. And yes, I do think the engine they used in F1 in the early 90s was used elsewhere, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest
at the moment there is nothing in the universe that could match fuel/power efficiency of the mercedes V6* and don't think porsche would have been at the same level anyhow, but guess it could have been the perfect partner for redbull after honda drop.

*(unless you find a way to bend the rules as ferrari was able to do last season)
Old 11 Nov 2020, 16:16 (Ref:4016015)   #7624
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
You basically confirmed what I have written,
porsche was in f1 next-gen engines specs talks because there were rumors about the introduction of 2-2.2L V6 without MGU-H starting from 2021, the engine base platform porsche could use both in WEC and f1, but reality told that porsche left WEC and f1 will stick with actual thermal engines.
If the 919 V6 was completed or not is basically ininfluent at the moment.
Unless a future use in a porsche LMhypercar or lmdh.
If am I not wrong more than 20 years ago, porsche was developing another f1 engine that later became the 5.6L V10 of carrera gt

"At the end of 2017, we received a specific order from our parent company to continue developing a highly efficient six-cylinder despite the exit from LMP1. Not only on paper, but actually as hardware and with the idea that this engine will run on the test bench in 2019. That was the order of the Board to us. " "A Formula 1 engine, as it was planned in the meantime, without exhaust gas energy recovery, can also be interesting for a super sports car. That's why we got the okay for this research project."

-Motorsport Total - May 2019
Old 13 Nov 2020, 01:30 (Ref:4016279)   #7625
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know this thread is for future regulations, but DSC had a great article about all of the previous LMP-1 cars to race!

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...ures.html?s=09

I enjoyed this way more than I expected, it was great to reminisce on all these cars who had such short lives as well as the ones that were dominant.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 13:39 (Ref:4016516)   #7626
Aysedasi
Bubbling over...
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I enjoyed it too. I'll be sad to see the passing of LMP1 and the 'rocketships' out of Arnage....
Old 14 Nov 2020, 14:07 (Ref:4016537)   #7627
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great memories, great article, thank you to LMP1 and DSC

Funerals are always sad but it is what it is, must keeping looking at other things, sports to move away from this. Great Turkish GP quali just ended, the drying up waiting nannying was tidious as it always is but interesting session otherwise
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:15 (Ref:4016603)   #7628
Napolis
Racer

Napolis should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNapolis should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNapolis should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://twitter.com/glickenhaus/stat...687766018?s=21
Old 21 Nov 2020, 01:56 (Ref:4018110)   #7629
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Personally, I was feeling a bit nostalgic about the LMP900/first gen LMP1 era I kinda grew up in as a teen/young adult, and how I found stuff like the Audi R8, Panoz roadsters, Audi R10, Porsche RS Spyder, Acura ARX-01 series, Peugeot 908 and such so fascinating back then.

That's lead me to think of two things: one, even in LMP1 Hypercar gets slowed to 2006-2007 (let alone 2008 pace--remember when we thought that was fast around Le Mans?), will we really give that much of a crap if the cars look good around the track and (hopefully) produce good racing and look interesting? Even looking at the Audi R10 when I was moving files around on my laptop, it still looks remarkably modern, even without a roof (and the dorsal fin, and fender/wheel arch holes), and you can see its (and even the R8's and Bentley Speed 8's) influence today. And how these cars were judged for being either ugly or Teutonic back then, but now are often held to look elegant by today's standards.

And, two, maybe slower cars isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe slowing them down a few ticks of the clock might make them less edgy and either with fewer accidents, or when they do happen, accidents will be less severe. IMO, it's been FCYs, slow zones and pace car FCYs at LM that put a dent in trying for the distance record, not lap times.
Old 21 Nov 2020, 18:03 (Ref:4018193)   #7630
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Big Smoke
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a lot of huffing and puffing before the '14 regs came out, with all sorts of horror stories of cars lifting and coasting and racing at 80% speed.

I'm not saying these regs will be anywhere near as successful, but I tell you what, if I'm trackside at Le Mans in 2023 for the centenary and theres 3-4 manufacturers lining up on Saturday afternoon and the winner could come from any team, then I'll be too excited (and too many beers down) to care how that's been achieved.
Old 22 Nov 2020, 00:59 (Ref:4018224)   #7631
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
They may not have had those fears come true, but the increased costs (largely IMO though incentivizing tech and near F1 levels of development and R&D) were negative side effects compared to a lot of what came before. It was like watching an accelerated demise of IMSA GTP or Group C for much the same reason (lack of cost containment and too much incentive on the latest and greatest tech).

I mean, Audi got 3 good years of use out of the R10, Peugeot got 4 out of the 908 as a factory car, and Audi ran the R8 for what today is an eternity. And the cars were recognizably similar in most ways to their initial iterations. Even Toyota in LMP1's twilight year heavily upgraded the TS050, even with little true incentive to do so.
Old Today, 14:16 (Ref:4019686)   #7632
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi is returning to Le Mans, entering an LMDh car. Further details soon...
Old Today, 14:18 (Ref:4019687)   #7633
Anyopenroad
Veteran

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryDG View Post
Audi is returning to Le Mans, entering an LMDh car. Further details soon...
...and quitting Formula E to do so! Awesome news!

https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/15...e-mans-in-lmdh
Old Today, 14:24 (Ref:4019694)   #7634
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting that the Audi PR leads on the Dakar project and effectively buries the lead in terms of their return to sportscars.

Where it's positioned makes me think that there's going to be a real customer focus to this programme. Which works for me!

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ar-rally-13440
Old Today, 15:20 (Ref:4019697)   #7635
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well the return of Audi will be a big thing let us hope it amounts to something/