Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Feb 2005, 02:50 (Ref:1219949)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thoughts about PLN

Ok, so a guy rarely visits and then post new threads two days running!

I could not ask this in the CC forum as I think the reaction to it would be emotional rather than rational. Since Sportscars are your gig, I will ask the experts here!

I have followed Paul Newman for years. I have in my hoard a picture I took of a very dejected Paul walking through the paddock at Nelson Ledges in the rain after stuffing his Datsun 510 into the bridge at the Cumberland Nationals (1976??). I have admired him, his ability and his willingness to just "go race."

Watching the 24 Hour at Daytona, I am now sad. To me anyway it seems that he is trying to carry on where he cannot any longer. However sharp he may still be, at 80 he just can't carry the mail like he once could. Imho he really shouldn't be out there in a DP car in a 24 hour race. I understand there are a number of "gentleman racers" of lesser ability who were also out there, but I think that 80 is well, just past it and to be brutally honest if he wants to do Club Racing or the GT class in Grand Am then have at it. But DP? Too much car for anyone that age.

What are your thoughts????
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1219965)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
More power to him! If he passes the same medical tests as anyone else, then I don't see any problem. Obviously he is not performing at the level he did in years past, and I would guess he would then make a choice. I had thought that he had said last year that he was running his last 24 Hour, which obviously wasn't the case.

Harvey Templeton raced well into his seventies in SCCA years ago (and built his own self-designed Formula Vees), and there are some others doing it now. We are able to perform better at more advanced ages these days.

robert
Old 8 Feb 2005, 04:21 (Ref:1219984)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with them. If he can pass the medical and feels he is capable of making a difference, more power to his arm! We had a gentleman racer here in Toronto who raced a fabulous Porsche EVO at the last Grand Am where real cars were permitted, and he was over 70 years old and he came in P6.

I know that Mr. Newman is not the man he was 60 years ago. Not a one of us but does not hope he or she is capable of similar feats of strength at 80. Better to wear out than rust out, I say.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1220225)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite simply, his age is irrelevant. His ability to lap at the pace demanded by the team within their race strategy is key. I did not see a comparison of the three drivers lap times but guess from this thread that he didn't exactly cover himself with glory! Many teams will carry a driver, but there is a limit to the extent to which they can do so. Making up time to cover for a slower teammate puts added stress on both car and driver which increases the chances of a mistake or mechanical failure, but ultimately it depends upon the teams ambition.

There will of course be those who would say his presence (along with a number of big name drivers from other motorsport disciplines) reduced the Rolex 24 to nothing more than circus. I did find myself scratching my head a little when I saw Wallace and Lammers sharing a car with Tony Stewart!

But what the hell, if he wants to race at 80 and can do so without putting his own and other peoples lives at risk, why not?
Old 8 Feb 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1220234)   #5
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ultimately, he has the $$$ to race and to support the team.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1220308)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Obviously there are examples of folks who raced a long time. I can think of Col Joe Hauser who I believe is still very competitive in SCCA Nationals. There was a gentleman from this area, Ross Harris, who raced well into his seventies at the Club level as well.

I admittedly am not as familiar with the DP cars as some other forms, so I was wondering what you all thought about it - if he still can perform at this level that is fine too. I know Rob Dyson has driven for years and is nowhere near as fast as the guys he has had on the team but certainly the guy who brings the bling should get to play too!

I was not trying to be critical of PLN, but just wondering out loud if you all saw any reason for him not to be in there.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1220311)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he would race in a venue in which he had to do all the driving, but when you have four teammates whose collective ages add up to your own, your job is easier. Mario Andretti was not what you'd call a roaring success at Le Mans (I know one of his pit crew who said they wanted to put out the pit board with MARIO, GO FASTER! on it) but every one of us who attended that race enjoyed seeing him out there.

I could also mention a much younger team owner who joined with two of the best Porsche factory drivers in the world to win his class at Le Mans, but who was noticeably slower than them when he got into the car. We all figured since it was his team, he was entitled to drive in that race. And at the end of the day they won!