Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2428675)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 2009 Round 2, 2009 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix

So, round one over and dusted. Have all the questions been settled? It's hard to tell. Ferrari never had a chance at the front and Lewis Hamilton didn't start from the front, so how can we know if they can win races this year? If anything, the first race poses more questions about the second race then the off-season posed about the first race. Was Brawn GP's incredible 1-2 just good luck? Will ANYONE be able to challenge Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello? Or will they run away with this race as well?

The circuit at Sepang has not been renowned for its exciting races. Usually the heat and humidity are big factors and test engines to their limits. Previous GPs at Sepang have shown that Ferrari are typically strong here, having won 5 of the 10 Grands Prix that have been held here. But what does that mean this year, with such a huge change in the behaviour, handling, aerodynamics etc on the cars this year? Only time will tell...

Something tells me the Brawn cars will be perhaps a bit more challenged at this race. Now that everyone knows where they stand they know how much they have to improve, so expect Ferrari and BMW to feature more prominently. As for Red Bull, typically they haven't had good luck at this track but perhaps with Vettel on fire and (hopefully) a motivated Mark Webber they will have a good showing (Top 5?). As for McLaren, it seems that what they lack in outright speed Hamilton makes up in talent, so even if they qualify low, Hamilton may be able to break into the Top 8 by the end of the race...

MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX - STATS

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings

Pos.DriverPretty Picture!ConstructorPoints
1.Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes10
2.Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes8
3.Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes6
4.Timo Glock Toyota5
5.Fernando Alonso Renault4
6.Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota3
7.Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari2
8.Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari1

Sepang International Circuit

LengthDirectionTurnsLap Record (Driver, Year)
5.543km (3.44mi)Clockwise151:34.223 (Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004)

2008 Malaysian Grand Prix
Pole Position (Time)Fastest Lap (Time)Winner
Felipe Massa (1:35.748)Nick Heidfeld (1:35.366)Kimi Raikkonen

Previous Winners
YearDriverTeam
2007Fernando AlonsoMcLaren-Mercedes
2006Giancarlo FisichellaRenault
2005Fernando AlonosoRenault
2004Michael SchumacherFerrari
2003Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes
2002Ralf SchumacherWilliams-BMW
2001Michael SchumacherFerrari
2000Michael SchumacherFerrari
1999Eddie IrvineFerrari

Predictions Competition
Fantasy F1

Last edited by Ralf's Girl; 30 Mar 2009 at 19:02.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Mar 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2428684)   #2
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Already!?

Nice work.

Weather? Hot & Sticky I presume?!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2428695)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well according to Bon I'm allowed to post it in the week of the GP...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2428791)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
And the weather forecast is!

Sorry Bon,but it looks like it could really affect the race and qualifying..remove post it if you like.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/153
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2429040)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like the Friday will be very wet at least. Fingers crossed it stays nice and wet for the whole weekend!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2429051)   #6
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Fingers crossed it stays nice and wet for the whole weekend!
Assuming a race which starts in the wet but dries up before the end (or vice versa), do the drivers still need to run a stint on the prime dry tyre and one on the option? Or will one stint on wets and one on either compound suffice?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2429060)   #7
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its wet you can run whatever tyres you want, and don't have to worry about compounds at all.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2429079)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Timetable and British TV details
Feel free to add to first post.

SessionBBCTV scheduleChannel
Practice 10255-0435302*
Practice 20655-0835302*
Practice 30655-0805302*
Qualifying0900-1130BBC1
Re-run at1300-1430BBC1
Race0900-1200BBC1
*That's according to the EPG, but things are likely to change so do not blame me if you miss recording it

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...y=Kuala+Lumpur
63%, 63% and 99% chance of rain forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Bear in mind that despite the aero cull, the wet tyres are the same. If it's a right royal downpour, it's going to be like ice skating unless you have the talent.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2429130)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Or will one stint on wets and one on either compound suffice?
This is correct.

The weather forecast isn't likely to bring the crowds in is it,but I guess that wouldn't be out of the ordinary anyway.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2429212)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...y=Kuala+Lumpur
63%, 63% and 99% chance of rain forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday respectively.
I like those odds.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2429232)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Sweet. I will now re-comment on the rain, since, apparently, it was illegal to do so before I went to bed.

Could we ask for more than R2 to be a rain-soaked weekend? The ideal for me would be for pre-race sessions to just be torrentially wet (though not so wet they through the red flag), followed by a variable race.

I'd say it would be best for it to be only sensibly wet at the start (maybe even dry?), since they seem to start behind the SC now without there needing to be much wet on the ground. After starting with a track dry enough to avoid the SC, it would be class if the track conditions varied between not very wet (slicks becoming thought about) and torrential (though not torrential enough to end up with the SC for a million laps). Just make it a tyre-changing strategy fest.

Anyway, outside of that ideal, it seems like it is going to be various degrees of rain throughout the whole weekend. That is just spankingly ideal!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2429279)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Sweet. I will now re-comment on the rain, since, apparently, it was illegal to do so before I went to bed.
Just thought I should say: "My bad!"

I have now seen the post I thought was removed from here in another thread. The ol' brain obviously getting confused.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2429717)   #13
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Jake Humphrey's blog on the BBC site, rain is predicted.
Whether it's all weekend or not remains to be seen.

I hope it is. We would see how the new aero affects the spray with all 20 cars on track. First pics from the pre-season testing gave us a taster.

At least I can stay in bed a little longer this coming Saturday and Sunday with 9am programme starts.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2429760)   #14
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7974213.stm

I think Rosberg has a point.

Either run races in the afternoon or floodlit at night. Or start them in the dusk and run into the night with floodlighting throughout like they do in the America.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 31 Mar 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2429764)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hadn't realised they were starting Malaysia later too!

I don't mind that so much as it is a tedious event, so getting up at that time will be quite nice. And if the delay causes it to coincide with a thunder storm, all the better!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2429800)   #16
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Going to skip the practice sessions on this one. Qualifying and race should be enough.

I'm really eager to see how the KERS cars stack up on a track with straights as long as Sepang.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2429832)   #17
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post
I'm really eager to see how the KERS cars stack up on a track with straights as long as Sepang.
...and I'm eager to see how a sudden KERS boost affects the cars in the wet.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2429840)   #18
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
...and I'm eager to see how a sudden KERS boost affects the cars in the wet.
Considering that they can allegedly implement some form of TC while KERS is being used, I don't expect sudden spins due to KERS use.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2429904)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
All forms of traction assistance should be outlawed, engine maps, throttle help, all should go. There is no excuse now that we have the standard ECU.

I want to see wheelspin and smoke off the start line...
Old 31 Mar 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2429914)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KERS TC appears to be banned.

Quote:
No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive throttle demand by the driver. Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted.

Release of power from any such [KERS] system must remain under the complete control of the driver at all times
the car is on the track.
I do agree with Sodemo - open source engine software and no engine map changes after the start of qualifying apart from a pit lane speed limiter coupled with a standard data logger and open access to telementary could help enforce a power limit in a system with freer engines.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2430007)   #21
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
All forms of traction assistance should be outlawed, engine maps, throttle help, all should go. There is no excuse now that we have the standard ECU.

I want to see wheelspin and smoke off the start line...

I think it will be an exciting weekend rain or dry. The new rules are headed in the right direction so I expect to see more overtaking from a GP that's usually average at best.

I can see Jenson winning again this weekend, although I think the others will have caught up significantly by the time the circus gets to europe.

I hope Nico has more luck than Australia, he's clearly in a very quick Williams, that even Nakajima had a good run in (until he managed his customary accident).

If there are any incidents this weekend, I'd like to see more consistant stewarding. Trulli should have been third in Australia, in my opinion.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2430019)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I do not think its as clear cut as simply he passed under yellows. Trulli should have been 3rd or 4th depending on your point of view, but not out of the points.

An overreaction I feel.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2430052)   #23
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the race is wet then Button, Barrichello, Vettel, Heidfeld and Hamilton have to be among the main contenders. What about Adrian Sutil, even? His car didn't look a total bag of bolts in Australia...
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2430066)   #24
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i was surprised that they have pushed this race later, when i went out there 6 yrs ago everyday had a thunderstorm after about 16:30 ish....I remember that well because that's what gave me my chest infection they thought could have been SARS!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2430104)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well perhaps the regularity of thunderstorms is part of the reason they moved it? It gives a natural version of installing a sprinkler system...