Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Dec 2001, 18:29 (Ref:189718)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emerson Fittipaldi has been injured in a cycling accident...

From itv-f1:

"Former two-time F1 world champion Emerson Fittipaldi has been injured in a cycling accident.

The Brazilian broke his left hand and collarbone while riding near his Florida home in the evening. It appears Fittipaldi failed to see another bicycle that had been left in the road.

The former motorsport star is expected to make a full recovery in a few months and was treated by the same doctors in Miami that tended to him following his high-speed accident in the 1996 Michigan 500.

The resulting severe neck and back injuries prompted his retirement. Since then he has turned to managing a number of business interests including a cigar manufacturing company."
Old 27 Dec 2001, 03:31 (Ref:189805)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best wishes to Emmo for a speedy recovery. Now, if he can only find the twerp who left that bike in the road...
Old 27 Dec 2001, 08:16 (Ref:189827)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Memories of the late lamented Bob Wollek, but not such a dire outcome. Obviously dangerous things those bikes. Best wishes to Emmo for a full recovery.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 11:56 (Ref:189869)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's had a few scrapes recently hasn't he?

Surviving a helicopter crash, his Michigan accident and now this.

Get well soon Emo.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 12:10 (Ref:189877)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Helicopter crash ?

It wasn't a ultralight crash ?
Old 27 Dec 2001, 12:15 (Ref:189883)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your probably right Bononi, my knowledge is a little sketchy, I know he had a crash involving flying but I wasn't sure what with, I thought it was a helicopter but I seem to be wrong. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 12:26 (Ref:189891)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're welcome

Anyway it was a very scaring experience, he could not move and his little son has to help him. They have been in the wilderness for more than 8 hours, until the rescue come.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 15:19 (Ref:189954)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, bicycles are NOT dangerous. But people not only kill each other, they kill themselves. A bicycle is just a really good tool for suicide if you are stupid enough to pull it off.

I ride around 2500 miles per year (4000 in a good year) and have only had a few falls, all of them my own fault. Emerson hit a another bicycle lying in the street at night. Don't tell me Emmo can't afford a good light system. And I've seen Emmo on one of those triathalon bikes, which I don't like at all. The very forward position with your arms in front of the front wheel centerline makes the bike reeeeeeel twitchy. Plus, your hands are veeeeery close together, so every little movement is amplified. I've tried them and I figure I would dump one in about 20 minutes if I kept it up. Triathaloners are really runners first, and cyclers only because it is required. That is why so many of them have such nasty crashes. I really prefer a standard road bike.

I have a Serotta CSI (Durace equipped, of course) and it is sort of high tech with STI brakelever shifting, but it is mostly very traditional. I hit a big patch of sand the other day while cornering really fast and it was just a little twitch of the bars and a wiggle of my butt and we were smoothly down the road. No problem at all. I am soooo at home on that bike. I didn't even realize I was in trouble before the Bike was upright and going straight. Sometimes I think there is a gyroscope hidden in one of the tubes. It is one sweet ride, baby!

I figure if I was on a tri bike I would now be picking little chips of asphault out of my rear.

The broken collar bone is cycling's most common injury besides a skinned butt. I broke my collar bone in 1990 and it still hurts when it is cold. It was an enormously aggravating injury. It was painful, sure, but it was really more of an incredible irratation. It almost made me crazy. Chinese water torture can't be as bad as this.

I hope it goes a little better for Emmo.

And Emmo, spend some of those Marlboro bucks and buy yourself a decent lighting system.