Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:18 (Ref:836016)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where to now for Rickard Rydell?

Seems to be a similair situation for Rickard as for Alain.

Latest rumour in Sweden is that Rydell said no to Alfa Romeo. But I haven't heard any "good" rumours on where he could go now...

DTM with Mercedes?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:20 (Ref:836018)   #2
Pete Williams
Rookie

Pete Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please come back to BTCC, Rickard
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:08 (Ref:836347)   #3
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
STCC with Flash and Volvo ?
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:16 (Ref:836355)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are there any Mercedes seats left? In anycase they will surely be 2003 spec cars only, as the four 2004 factory cars are all taken.

I thought Alfa looked a good fit for Rikard, why would he say no to them or vice versa?. On the face of it I can't see a good reason for one turning the other down.

BTCC - not a hope I think, apart from the 2nd Proton all the factory seats look to be taken. Honda have trimmed their input to support only, so both Arena and Dynamics need to source other funding to run two cars.

Looks like STCC is the only real option. I would love to have seen him back in the BTCC though.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 14:23 (Ref:836695)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now with rumours of Volvo perhaps rejoining in 2005, will Rickard do the same for Volvo again? Wait one year for them...

Though I'm not so sure about this rumour really...
Old 13 Jan 2004, 15:27 (Ref:836775)   #6
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
If HSBC leafes Jaguar and RedBull buys this Formula-One -****, well, then there will be some money free for other Premier Group- Activities (Mazda to LeMans, Volvo to Touringcars)...*hähähä*
Old 13 Jan 2004, 15:38 (Ref:836787)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed world Challenge alongside Derek Bell in the new Volvo, pleeeeaase!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:03 (Ref:836986)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I thought Alfa looked a good fit for Rikard, why would he say no to them or vice versa?. On the face of it I can't see a good reason for one turning the other down.

Perhaps he'd have been signing into the team as a contracted number 2 driver...to Gabriele Tarquini. Then again I can't think Fabrizio Giovanardi would of agreed to that either.

Johan - Volvo rejoining ETCC ? Maybe Rickard would be daft too, on the other hand perhaps daft not to. Volvo could be really up for it this time unlike last.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:28 (Ref:837023)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Isn't it possible Rydell will drive an car from Alfa's 2nd team?
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:37 (Ref:837031)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
All rather dispiriting. Prodrive-bound to help fettle the Aston?

Last edited by BSchneiderFan; 13 Jan 2004 at 19:38.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:26 (Ref:837088)   #11
Tim Harvey Fan
Racer

Tim Harvey Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Rickard will be drafted over to North America to do Speed GT in the new four-car team Volvo S60R's...hopefully!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:28 (Ref:837091)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad to see my comment wasn't totally written off- getting a Touring Master like Rydell into Speed World Challenge would certainly elevate the series- and what a joy it would be to see him in person.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:837192)   #13
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Rydell disappointed
ETCC 13/01/04

Rickard Rydell has been left without a Alfa Romeo drive despite it earlier looked as it was secure for him. "It was as good as done with the drive for Autodelta. It was no problem for the team but it was a decision from Alfa Romeo that stopped it all for me," said Rickard disappointed. Rickard had negotiated with Alfa since August-September when suddenly just before Christmas it all turned around.

"Team owner Mauro Spisz even said to ETCC promoter Marcello Lotti that it was decided to 99%, so the decision was not Autodelta's," Rickard continued. But Rickard hasn't given up finding a drive for the coming season: "Right now I am looking at other alternatives and it is not impossible that it will be a international drive. Of course I want to compete and I feel very excited," Rydell said.

Source: www.rickardrydell.com

Johan Meissner
Old 14 Jan 2004, 00:17 (Ref:837319)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Why would Alfa choose Augusto Farfus over Rickard Rydell? This doesn't make any sense.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 01:06 (Ref:837356)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Why would Alfa choose Augusto Farfus over Rickard Rydell? This doesn't make any sense.
Money...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 07:07 (Ref:837543)   #16
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Not even Money... They tested several drivers from South America. Brazil and Argentina is a big selling- market for Fiat!
If there was a world touringcarchampionship in the future, I would not wonder about a south- american WTCC-race.

BTW: Farfus belongs (or belonged?) to the JMB- US- Team; there he drove the Ferrari 360Modena at Daytona and some ALMS- Races. And JMB is said to be a "better" Ferrari- "Costumer"...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 07:26 (Ref:837552)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As some people have mentioned, there are unofficial rumors that Volvo will field up to a 4 car team to race S60s in the World Challenge GT class against the likes of the Audi S6, Cadillac CTS-V and Corvette. Perhaps Rydell could become the lead and developmental driver for Volvo?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:03 (Ref:837662)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparenty Dynamics are trying to source the funding to run Rickard in their second BTC Honda.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:837831)   #19
Portello
Racer

Portello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who else than N.Technology/Autodelta itself should have made this decsion ? Hm, there isn't that much (economic) influence by Fiat or anybody else on the motorsport department in Chivasso anymore. Giovanardi is a highly respected long -time driver (and winner) for Alfa and he's Italian, that's all. Farfus has made a good test, he's young and not that expensive, so a good team is complete.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:28 (Ref:837876)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Maybe it's just me, but if I had to choose between Rydell and Giovanardi, I'd have opted for Rydell.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:42 (Ref:837894)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Giovanardi has a great history with Alfa, they were bound to hire him again.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:41 (Ref:838296)   #22
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Apparenty Dynamics are trying to source the funding to run Rickard in their second BTC Honda.
Where did you hear/read that, Super Tourer?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:43 (Ref:838298)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Motorsport News are reporting it amongst other places.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:26 (Ref:838394)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I right in thinking Dynamics wanted him a few months ago but decided he'd be too expensive ?

Would Rydell take a drive with little (or no?) pay??
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:46 (Ref:838416)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Come back to the BTCC Mr Rydell! And bring some Volvos with you!