Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 May 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1615434)   #1
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what must i do to become a marshall what do i need?

heya people,

the title of the thread is pretty self explanatory so i would love to ask a few questions, how old is the minimum age to become a marshall because i am 16 and doing my GCSE's at the moment starting on monday i am looking to get into motorsport which i love to pieces,

are there any certain qualifications i need like first aid, or a marshalls course?,
what equipment would i need for this?

and the final note i dont care about money i want to be involved in motorsport please help me
Old 21 May 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1615458)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Hi choc ice,

One of the key things I would do is have a search through this forum where there's similar questions, so you'll get another set of answers there; and also visit the BMMC website, which has a set of FAQs and also a downloadable version of the pocket guide to marshalling - which is an excellent read, will explain different branches of marshalling, equipment, and what sort of things you'll need to do when you start.

In response to specific question:
At 16, yes, you can become a marshal. You will need parental permission until your 18, but you can definitely get involved. As you can see from a recent thread, there is some variation on if you can go trackside or not - but going trackside and pushing cars is not the be-all and end-all, and I'm sure you'd enjoy working in the assemble area anyway!

There are no necessary qualifications, and the vast majority of training is "on the job". There are training days (normally held at the beginning of the season), but you can start without doing a training day (I did!!), and you will certainly be helped through and quickly learn what you're meant to be doing (especially if you've read the pocket guide to marshalling already mentioned).

Equipment wise - you need very little. When you get more and more involved you almost certainly will want to buy some orange proban overalls and a few other bits and bobs, but for your first meeting just take plenty of food and drink, take plenty of clothes for all weathers (in natural fibres, and in a colour that doesn't clash with flags), and wear suitable strong and stirdy footwear.

As regards what to do - well, if you let us know what your nearest circuit is, then one of us will be able to pass you contact details for the local Chief marshal who will assist you in volunteering for events. Alternatively, if you're more interesting in rallying, then let us know the rough area and we'll find a different contact for you.
It's not necessary to join any club to volunteer, but you will probably find things easier and gain a few other advantages by joining the BMMC - especially as whilst still being young the membership fee is neglible.

Hopefully that will explain things roughly - have a read through those materials, and if you still have any other questions don't worry about asking again, we don't bite (except into Pork Pies - you'll find out about that soon enough ). Glad to see the interest and hope to see you at a circuit in the near future
Old 21 May 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1615591)   #3
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First thing you have to do is Book an appointment at your local Hospital to have your sanity removed, the waiting list may be a bit long, and they might do it in a corridor somewhere, but it is well worth it!

You already have the most important qualifacation, You want to do it!
Where abouts are you?
Old 21 May 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1615649)   #4
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with evrything Asp says. I suspect from your other postings that you are from the Oulton Park area (same as Asp was originally). You will find that circuit excellent for giving training to new recruits and welcoming "cadets". Look for the contact on the BMMC web site for Oulton and make contact.
And don't forget to volunteer for the 750MC meeting there on 9 Sept.
Old 21 May 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1615656)   #5
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to try marshaling at a kart meeting, come to Three Sisters in Wigan this comming weekend, you will be very welcome, and put with someone with plenty of experiance.

PM me if you want more details.
Old 21 May 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1615752)   #6
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are from the Oulton Park area as Peter has guesed and you fancy trying sprint Marshalling either come down to Anglesey for the Chester MC sprints there in 10 / 11 June, if your exams have finished ( good luck) or Three sisters on the 6th August Again an expereinced team will be on hand to guide you through the ropes, Rally wise have a look at one of the rally forums and see who needs marshals
Old 21 May 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1615841)   #7
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for days like today has been you need RUST PROOFING & DAMP PROOFING
Old 22 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1616075)   #8
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just back from the WTCC meet hope your a good swimmer.......
Old 22 May 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1616112)   #9
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you need ?

Dedication ,a sense of humour and a decent alarm clock
Old 22 May 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1616238)   #10
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Welcome Choc Ice,
Are you totally insane? , if not you might not enjoy it.
Equipment?. Wet suit, thigh length Wellingtons and a snorkel, and ten pairs of thermals. That should get you through the summer at least.
Seriously though, just do it, you'll love it.
Keep warm, keep dry, keep safe and have fun.

Last edited by White flag man; 22 May 2006 at 12:20.
Old 22 May 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1616518)   #11
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it that at 16 you haven't got transport to get to circuits unless dad / mate / older brother etc can take you. If you inform us what area you are from then I'm sure that there wil be a marshal who can give you a lift to the circuit. This will enable you to learn where sign on is, where the posts are etc They can also pass on other information to you (or just scare you with their war stories )

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 22 May 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1616701)   #12
James Elder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northenden
James Elder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Choc Ice,
This is going to make me sound old, but 15 years ago I was trying to do the same as you. I started at 16 in the Assembly area at Oulton Park, it rained all day, but I loved it and came back a couple of weeks later and haven't stopped since (I know, I need my head examining, but anyhow...). I also sorted the transport problem by dragging Dad along too!

At 16, you won't be able to go on the track, but then again you'll be able to do jobs that give you a really close look at the cars and the Assembly area team at Oulton (if that is your local circuit) are great and always welcome new members.

As far as equipment goes, just make sure you are prepared for all weathers and bring a good amount of food (cheaper than buying at the circuit). Anything more specific like overalls, gloves, etc. can be bought from the regalia people who are at the circuits on most weekends. If you are ever not sure there are always plenty of people to give advice on equipment.
Old 23 May 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1617178)   #13
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow thanks for the help people and sorry that i have not been able to post in the past few days i have exams, revision and coursework to be in for IT which is erm late at best, i live in old colwyn on the north wales coast and im about equal distnace from ty-croes on anglesey and oulton park but transport is a problem since i am in a family were we like our cars (parents have a honda civic typ-R and a BMW 330 CI sport convertible) petrol is bloody expensive which is a wee problem and also im not very good at getting up early regularly but screw it im doing it anyway, i love the following motorsport;

touring cars, BTCC, DTM, WTCC and so on
GT racing and sportscars, LMS, FIA GT and british GT
formula 1(i can dream too )
historic sportcars and formula 1

basically i like all the stuff i wont be able to marshall until im 18 or 21 and the stuff that will make me go very deaf very quickly, but thanks for all the help and im gonna grab and application form right now of the BMCC or whatever it was called and finish of reading the marshalling handbook and also i could maybe marshall for the cambrian rally in autumn because i only live at most 30 minutes away from were it is held
Old 23 May 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1617248)   #14
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
i love the following motorsport;

touring cars, BTCC, DTM, WTCC and so on
GT racing and sportscars, LMS, FIA GT and british GT
formula 1(i can dream too )
historic sportcars and formula 1

basically i like all the stuff i wont be able to marshall until im 18 or 21 and the stuff that will make me go very deaf very quickly,
Don't worry about going deaf, just find some ear plugs!
As regards not being able to marshal those series until you're 18, there's no reason why you can't at any age! The exception is Formula1, but most of the other series will not have a closed list or an age restriction on marshalling. I believe BTCC will limit you to the assembly area or pits, but for Historic Racing - don't forget the Oulton Park Gold Cup in August!
Quote:
also i could maybe marshall for the cambrian rally in autumn because i only live at most 30 minutes away from were it is held
I'll let an expert comment on this more, but it might also be having a read at the BRMC website (which is part of the BMMC)
Old 23 May 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1617282)   #15
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Choc ice,
Don't know if you have a tent, sleeping bag, any way of getting to London & anyone you can stay with on a Friday night.
If so I'm going to HSCC weekend at Brands in 2 weeks time, then HSCC weekend at Snetterton in early June, then GT/F3 weekend at Snetterton the weekend after.
I could take you from London to them, and back again.
Old 24 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1617704)   #16
paddock.one
Racer

England
Cumbria
paddock.one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Choc Ice -
Guys with your obvious enthusiasm are the future of marshalling - we need you! I was a relatively late starter, despite being a fan from when my dad took me to Brands at age 7 (that's me, not him). Wanted to get involved, and found out how from a contact who'd been a marshal & progressed to being a clerk of the course... Started in the assembly area at Brands, attended regularly and became Deputy Chief Paddock there. Moved north a few years ago so went to Oulton Park. Some marshal friends over the years have said "Why are you still in the paddock? - get out on the bank..." but I still enjoy being in the organisation side. You can see the cars close-up, talk to the drivers and teams, and be a vital part of running each practice, each race, and the whole event.
Contact Alistair Garrett or Margaret Simpson (chief marshals for BRSCC and BARC events at Oulton Park - details on the clubs' websites) and you'll get further details. Come and give it a try when you've finished your exams - promise you'll enjoy it!
You're welcome to send me a pm for any further info, or a chat...
Old 24 May 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1617847)   #17
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
well really the only major problem is getting to these race tracks, i went to silverstone last year for the 3rd round of the LMES and i loved it so much it started a crazy love affair with sportcar racing in general, the noise was pierecingly loud, you could hear the cars on the night practice in towcester your self which is about 5 miles away and the sight and sound will bring me back again and again to GT and endurance racing and also i forgot to say i love 110% group C lemans cars from the 1980's and early 1990's, an era i missed because i was born too late but im going to print off an application form now from the BMMC website and also next week i have the whole week off because it is the general whole school half term so no exams that week but for the following 3 weeks i will have exams, white flag man i wish i could say yes to your offer but i dont know anyone that lives in london and also i dont have a tent but a sleeping back lol,
shame though i decided to try and become a marshall now because i have missed the british GT and the BTCC at oulton park but the gold cup like asp said sounds like great fun especially with the old historic cars racing there.

is there possibly a marshalling position for the LMES at donington in august because i have no exams then and also its my favorite racing series in the world (go on zytek motorsport!!!) and any group C events because i need to learn and hopefully one day i will be marshalling at the lemans 24 hours in france or the monaco GP
Old 24 May 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1618229)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A man after my own heart there. All things endurance and sportscars for me. Sadly I'm on holiday when the Donington round is on, so you can have my place! I guarantee they won't turn you away, but expect some very long days.
Old 24 May 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1618247)   #19
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
A man after my own heart there. All things endurance and sportscars for me. Sadly I'm on holiday when the Donington round is on, so you can have my place! I guarantee they won't turn you away, but expect some very long days.
...and some very fantastic machinery. I did it last year and was my first experience of the R8 - it was awesome all race long
Old 25 May 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1618605)   #20
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Choc Ice

Just to let you know that there is a 2 day Sprint meeting at Ty-Croes this weekend 27/28 May organised by MGCC/LCCC. 2 lap sprint with up to 100 entries of all sorts of cars and always short of marshals. For more information go to Julian's thread at the top of this forum and download the volunteering form for the BRSCC NW centre, which will give you all the events at Oulton and Anglesey. If you have a tent and are interested in Ty Croes this weekend give me a call this evening on 0161 904 9724 between 8 and 9 PM.

Looking forward to greeting you into this great fraternity.

Old 25 May 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1618746)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
woolley thank you so much for this offer, if i can make my way to donington in the summer and find a cheap place to stay then i will for sure accept that offer, this year i would love to see the new hybrid LMP's racing and if my application form gets to the BMMC HQ before this weekend then i will marshall at the MG event at tycroes for practice to help me along
Old 25 May 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1618759)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
if my application form gets to the BMMC HQ before this weekend then i will marshall at the MG event at tycroes for practice to help me along
You will be able to marshal without club membership.
Old 25 May 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1618842)   #23
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
so what do i do do i just turn up there and say that i am volunteering to marshall for the race or do i get a volunteering form of the BMMC website?
Old 25 May 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1618894)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
so what do i do do i just turn up there and say that i am volunteering to marshall for the race or do i get a volunteering form of the BMMC website?
If you haven't already done so, ring Eric! Nobody's going to turn away a potential marshaL!
Old 25 May 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1618924)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
woolley thank you so much for this offer
Sorry I was being a bit tongue in cheek. In case it's not clear there isn't a restriction on places, so you'd be more than welcome whether I was there or not. You can volunteer through http://www.marshals.org.uk/ or http://www.marshals.co.uk/vol.php

Enjoy.